No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2013-01-19, 11:43am
They see me rollin'...

Default Going to build a shedio!

As some may know, my daughter Emily and I are living in Montana now. I am very excited, because our offer on a house with land was accepted this morning! It is a nice house, and the land is really nice quality pasture land and is even irrigated with water rights, which isn't easy to find around here. It will be perfect for our horses!

However, there is not one single outbuilding on the place. No garage, not even a shed! Seriously. The house is 2 stories, but no basement. I used to torch in my basement back in St. Louis, but I just don't see me doing that anywhere in this house.

We're going to get 1 or 2 loafing sheds for the horses (a 3-sided shelter), and a small shed for tack and feed. And I found a company that has quoted me under $3000 for a steel quonset hut shelter for hay storage. But I also have my heart set on a studio.

There is a company here in Billings, S Bar S, that sells all types of sheds and shelters. I talked to the guy there and he recommended one style that is more house-like. They will customize it any way that I like.

I'm wondering, what size do people normally build? I need a space that will accommodate a torching area, silver-smithing/metal working area, a ceramics kiln and maybe a pottery wheel someday.

I plan on finishing the inside myself. I've never done any remodeling, but hopefully I can figure it out! I wish my brother in Ohio were closer; he's really good at things like this. But maybe he can consult over the phone.

Here's S Bar S's website: the type shed I would be getting is on the upper right of this page. http://www.s-bar-s.com/pre-built.html

Any advice? Oh, and the property has no restrictions! It's in a rural area with a great view, so I definitely need a few windows.

Thanks!
-Patti

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-02-14 at 7:00pm.
Old 2013-01-19, 11:52am
Loving learning

I have what was sold as a 12x14, but after measuring it once it was delivered & installed, I realized that is roof line, not inside. So ask them the inside measurements.

I wish I had gone larger. I have 2 work surfaces (torching & cutting glass) and a pottery wheel plus shelving. It's tight. I'm a pack rat though, so maybe it would be better for you if you don't collect all the junk I have.
I have my glass separated by COE and stained glass & fusing glass separate too, but maybe you don't have to do that. I'm just paranoid about it so have different corners for each type, then pottery in the other corner.
I would say go as large as you can afford. I wish I had. We're looking at a 2nd building so I can have a storage and a work building (storage will have a section for my supplies, but other things in there too.)

Can you plot it out on paper to scale before you decide?

PS. I love that I got windows, and can open them for fresh air when I want. Oh, and the light is nice too, so I can go inside & see without turning on a light.
Old 2013-01-19, 12:04pm
They see me rollin'...

Thanks Eileen! I'm a pack rat too. I'm thinking I should probably go with the largest size...it's $500 more than the 12 x 16, but I bet down the line I would be kicking myself too for not getting the largest one.

At least I can use a bedroom for a sewing room, so sewing/quilting/spinning etc. can go in the house. Emily gets her pick of bedrooms, and one will be a guest bedroom. The master bedroom is downstairs, which is kind of weird. I've always been on the same floor as my kids.

The house is decorated beautifully, and they have said they might be willing to sell us some of the furniture. But I don't know if I can afford their furniture; it looks expensive!

Downstairs has a big living area that is decorated in an african safari theme. So fun! I have a fake palm tree that I brought with me from St. Louis that will be perfect for it.

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-02-14 at 7:01pm.
Old 2013-01-19, 12:17pm
Loving learning

To furnish mine I went cheap or free and made do. Old kitchen cabinets somebody was getting rid of became the base of my work tables, tops are old solid core doors from Habitat restore and a used door store. A piece of steel from the metal recycle place for a work surface. Some old shelving somebody was getting rid of in one area, a computer desk topper used for glass storage in another, etc.
So it isn't pretty, but it didn't cost an arm & a leg, & I can replace what I want to in the future if I decide I want something fancier & that all matches!

Is it going to be insulated? I just have exposed studs, but I know some others have put insulation and or wallboard up. We did put the sheet kind in the ceiling.
Old 2013-01-19, 12:18pm
They see me rollin'...

You know, an extra shed just for storage is not a bad idea. The small sheds didn't cost that much. I'm thinking for tack and feed, the 8 x 10 for about $1000 should work.

I think we're going to go for dark green with white trim on all the outbuildings. The house is white, and I don't want white outbuildings.

The neighbors across the road all have large, very expensive log homes. I'm wondering, is it good or bad to have rich neighbors? lol The house we're buying is older and predates the rich houses. Down the road there are some more "normal" neighbors. They are all farms and it's very quiet. The rich neighbors have horses too (probably not mutts like ours) and grow hay.

I'm just so excited!!

Emily and I drove out there yesterday and just drove around. It is across the highway from Pompey's Pillar, a landmark east of Billings where Lewis and Clark visited and one of them left their signature on the rock.

The land across the highway is just stunning. I wish we could have lived over on that side, but it is all large ranches and not irrigated, so not as good for horses.

I'll try to post pics soon!

-Patti
Old 2013-01-19, 12:21pm
Loving learning

I forgot to tell you Congratulations! It sounds very exciting, and like a wonderful phase of your life!
Old 2013-01-19, 12:29pm
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
To furnish mine I went cheap or free and made do. Old kitchen cabinets somebody was getting rid of became the base of my work tables, tops are old solid core doors from Habitat restore and a used door store. A piece of steel from the metal recycle place for a work surface. Some old shelving somebody was getting rid of in one area, a computer desk topper used for glass storage in another, etc.
So it isn't pretty, but it didn't cost an arm & a leg, & I can replace what I want to in the future if I decide I want something fancier & that all matches!

Is it going to be insulated? I just have exposed studs, but I know some others have put insulation and or wallboard up. We did put the sheet kind in the ceiling.
Yes, I'll have to have insulation. They will even do it for me if I want. I guess it would be cheaper if I did it myself, and that part doesn't look too hard. I plan on putting up paneling. I was inspired by Pat/Eregel's shedio project!

Luckily I was able to bring my work tables, glass storage and all that with me from St. Louis. I will need more shelving, and I think a rolling cart to put the kiln on would be better than what I've been using.

When it comes to furniture, I don't have much. I left most of it to my ex, since I was going to have to pay to move it. We do have a nice futon, and the rather beat-up dining room table and chairs. I have a basic bed and a few chairs, but that's about it.

The house looks like something out of a magazine on the inside. The main colors are creamy yellow and burgundy with white flowers and leaves on a border. The sellers were already living elsewhere, so don't really need the furniture. So I am going to look into buying a few things. But the budget for horse set-up and sheds comes first!

-Patti
Old 2013-01-19, 12:33pm
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I forgot to tell you Congratulations! It sounds very exciting, and like a wonderful phase of your life!
Thank you!! It's been a dream for so long, I can hardly believe that it's actually happening.

The closing isn't until the end of February, so I have lots of time to plan.

It is possible that they might let us move in early. I really hope so.

-Patti
Old 2013-01-19, 1:15pm
I'm meeeeelting

Mine's 10x12, because that's the largest size I could have without needing a permit. It's a decent size for lampworking, but I'd go bigger if you're going to want it to be multi-purpose and don't have legal restrictions on size. The 12x20 would give you a nice ability to have separate stations for different types of work. Definitely put in some windows and maybe glass doors. You'll love having the light and the ability to look out. My glass is stored in a big steel cabinet with different COEs on different shelves. I did some research and found one at Sears that was deep enough for boro rods (boro color - I do have to cut or melt down my long clear rods and tubes). I also put in a storage loft along the back wall for storage of stuff I don't need to have within easy reach. My countertop runs the length of one wall and most of another in an L shape (with the cabinet taking the rest of the space on one of the walls). My torch station is just to one side of the corner. I love it, because it gives me counter in front of me and to the side within easy reach for tools, glass and glass warmer, the kiln, etc.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2013-01-19, 2:55pm
honorary bead lady

Quick read you have mentioned a studio and a shed for about $4000. For just the structure, without wiring or finished inside...
Seriously STOP!
Look into a pole building
ETA* S bar S also does pole buildings
Here are a couple links, find the nearest builder supply/lumber yard/farm store in the area and see who builds them locally

http://www.handhcustombuildings.com
http://www.clearybuilding.com

Last edited by houptdavid; 2013-01-19 at 3:08pm.
Old 2013-01-19, 8:26pm
They see me rollin'...

So, you think a pole building would be more cost effective? I'm open to suggestions!

I can definitely talk to S Bar S about a pole building vs. a shed. I really need to squeeze those pennies, so I'll go with whatever is cheaper that will work.

We're going to get the property inspected on Tuesday. Thanks for reminding me Felicia...I need to see if building permits are required (the inspector is supposed to know a lot about these things). There are no restrictions on the property and I'm sure it's zoned as agricultural (the whole area is nothing but farms) but I don't know about building codes.

So, it's just a big field with a house and ONE tree. ONE. We're planning on planting some trees, though we haven't decided just where yet. I can't help it, I'm a tree person...

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-02-14 at 7:02pm.
Old 2013-01-19, 9:15pm
honorary bead lady

If you look at the studio, storage, loafing and hay storage why not just build a pole barn configured to what you need, you can wall off a section, insulate and drywall it.

I bet it would be cheaper than the 4 different small buildings especially by the time you run power and water

ETA* The old standard is to plant trees to the north and west of the house as a winter wind break

Last edited by houptdavid; 2013-01-19 at 9:20pm.
Old 2013-01-20, 11:04am

What David said and then add building permits. Most rural areas require permits for any structure that will house anything more than a tractor. My horse barn 40x60, permit. The shop 40x60, permit. Hay barn, stupid huge no permit go figure. If I can offer any worthy suggestion, if you build a pole structure, make sure you have an area wide enough and tall enough to handle a stack wagon if you plan on storing any hay (for dry winters). I helped pour a cement pad for my tack room and then framed it in, power, insulation, dry wall the interior and siding on the exterior. It's 12x12 and right now has more junk stored in there than horse tack. If you ever want any ideas for cheap alternatives, holler 'cuz I do it all on the cheap (a girl HAS to buy glass AND tack ). My horse trailer was the only tack room I had for years but I have a gooseneck so the tack room is pretty big.

My glass shop is still in process but measures 12x22 (roughly) and it is almost too small with all my work surfaces. Insulated and dry wall up on all but one side of one wall. I'll wait until the weather warms up to tape and mud. Keep an eye on Craigslist for building material, I've seen some ads for free if you pick up the stuff. I see doors, cabinets, flooring, windows and sometimes sheds for free or cheap.

Kirsti
Old 2013-01-21, 1:59pm
They see me rollin'...

Thanks guys! I don't know what a stack wagon is? Is that a flat bed with hay stacked on it, maybe?

We're doing a home inspection tomorrow, and I plan on picking the inspector's brain, not to mention the S Bar S people.

And of course, after signing a purchase agreement, we found the perfect property in our dream location that is way cheaper and has everything we wanted, like garage, shop, greenhouse, 28 acres, etc. I remember looking at this other property online last fall, but we weren't ready to buy then. Then it was taken off the market and just relisted 3 days ago.

Sigh.

-Patti
Old 2013-01-21, 2:05pm
They see me rollin'...

We definitely are going to be planting some trees! A lot of places around here have evergreen trees as a sort of hedge, and/or those tall poplar trees as a privacy screen.

I will look into a pole barn. One advantage to having separate buildings is that they can be more spread out--not sure if we have room for a large pole barn. But we need to take measurements and see.

Thanks!
-Patti

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
If you look at the studio, storage, loafing and hay storage why not just build a pole barn configured to what you need, you can wall off a section, insulate and drywall it.

I bet it would be cheaper than the 4 different small buildings especially by the time you run power and water

ETA* The old standard is to plant trees to the north and west of the house as a winter wind break

-Patti
Old 2013-01-21, 8:41pm
honorary bead lady

Don't plant Lombardy Poplars, that is usually the tall skinny deciduous trees you see. They are very brittle, spread from the roots and are just poor trees in general
Old 2013-01-23, 10:32am
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Don't plant Lombardy Poplars, that is usually the tall skinny deciduous trees you see. They are very brittle, spread from the roots and are just poor trees in general
Thanks for the advice! I'm hoping to consult a tree expert before I plant anything.

Maybe this person? http://homesteadnurserymontana.weebly.com/

I would really like a few fruit trees!

We were out there yesterday for the home inspection, and the realtor commented that wow, all those years that family lived there and they never planted so much as a flower? There is not a single plant, shrub, flower, etc. except for grass. There is ONE old, huge tree that I'm sure is a lot older than I am. That is IT.

-Patti
Old 2013-01-23, 7:06pm
Temptress

Hi Patti,
Where in Billings are you? I used to live in town, but I'm just over an hour south of Billings now. Billings Nursery is a great place to inquire about trees for our area. There is one on Poly Drive and one the one on South Frontage Road (you'll find a great selection of trees here ). The proprietors are, I believe, fourth generation, and very experienced. Anyway, ask about xeriscaping and you should get some good advice on what to plant in your area.

What is your water situation? That will make a big difference in what you can do. I'm guessing you have well. Do you know when it was dug and how far down they had to drill?

S Bar S is a great place. If you pick up a Thrifty Nickel at one of the gas stations you can find a lot of things like sheds & pole barns for sale and may be able to score a good deal on something.

Oh, I see you are over by Pompey's Pillar. Be prepared for wind, also!

If you are rural enough, nobody asks too many questions and permits are not always necessary. Ask around. Some things don't get much attention. I don't think we had to get a permit for anything where I'm at until it came to plumbing and electricity. but I'm in Carbon County which is a lot smaller than Yellowstone County.

Be sure to find out what it takes to make sure your property stays zoned agricultural. If they change, the taxes go way up. I'm near a river and since we weren't meeting agricultural requirements they put us into a "resort property" category and the taxes got ridiculous. Yours probably wouldn't be as bad as ours, but it doesn't hurt to know.
Old 2013-01-24, 11:12am
They see me rollin'...

Hi Julie!

We're staying at the Yellowstone KOA in our RV right now. Thanks for all the advice!

The place in Ballantine has good water...there is a well that is supposed to be spring-fed, and also irrigation ditches on either side of the 10 acre field, plus water rights. I know they have grown hay there before, because in the satellite photo there are 20 round bales. I haven't noticed wind much? It was windy one day that we were out there, but there were high winds everywhere that day. We were out there again 2 days ago and the air was nice and still (that's when it was 48 degrees!)

We had actually found a property near Bridger that we like much better, is a lot less expensive, and already has a shop, plus a garage and a lot of other stuff I wanted, plus 28 acres instead of 10. We fell in love with that place, and the owner would be able to do contract for deed, but doesn't want to. I am seriously bummed now.

I know, the Ballantine property will work, but OMG the view from the Bridger property was just stunning. Plus I liked the house and everything better. If we had moved there we wouldn't have had to do hardly anything, just move in. There was even a shed just like the one I want to build, already there. I saw that house on the internet months ago, but they had taken it off the market in December and just relisted it a few days ago. Said the seller wanted to "take a break".

My only concern about the Bridger property was water. There is a well, and it overlooks the green belt, but on the surface looks pretty dry. I don't know how difficult it would be to turn the scrub into a horse pasture? I would assume that we would not be able to grow hay there or anything, but it would be nice if the horses would have a blade of grass to eat now and then. At least in Ballantine we can fence off part of the pasture for the horses to graze, and grow hay on the rest. Either way I also assume that we will have to buy hay to feed year-round.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that I won't be the only lampworker in the Billings area. Are there any others? I've looked for a glass shop or bead shop online and didn't see any.

Thanks!
-Patti

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-01-24 at 11:19am.
Old 2013-01-24, 4:51pm
Temptress

Nice on the water situation. We have several springs under our property so we are lucky that way, too. Water rights are great! A lot of times they are impossible to get around here. We don't have any ditch rights for our acreage.
It won't be windy all the time, but when it blows it is meant to impress LOL It was probably 60 mile winds at my house last night.
Too bad you didn't get the Bridger property. You would have been just a short drive from my place then. That could have been fun. Some people are scared of contract for deed. I've bought and sold that way and it was great for us.
Hay prices are up here, but then I guess they are everywhere now.

There is one other full-time lampworker in Laurel, one in Missoula, a couple in Corvallis, at least two in the Kalispell area and then a few hobbyists I've heard about here and there. I heard that one moved into the Helena area, but I have not met them yet. No shops or groups in the area though. You'll find that Montana may be a big state, but with so few people, you tend to get around.

For the most part, it is lonely being a lampworker out here. There is a stained glass shop in Billings (D&J) that sells a bit of Effetre and bead release and lots of fusing supplies, but I buy most of my glass online.

Hopefully we will both be in Billings sometime where we can meet up for lunch or something.
Old 2013-01-25, 6:01pm
They see me rollin'...

60 miles PH...wow!!

Well, we tried our best to get the Bridger property. It was so perfect for us. But the seller just didn't want to do C4D, and that is her choice. Emily is heart-broken. We had to make a final decision today on the Ballantine property, and I decided to go ahead with it. I think it will be a great place once we have done some work on it!

So I'm back to planning my shedio. Well, at least this one will have windows. The shed in Bridger didn't have any.

I will be SO glad when we are finally moved in!! Hopefully (fingers crossed) we will be able to move in in about a month.

I would love to get together some time!

-Patti

-Patti
Old 2013-01-25, 8:05pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Hurray! I built mine last year, and it was SO much fun! Here's my thread - http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=220718 - there's a lot of good information in there about insulation/finishing interior walls, ventilation, lighting.

Have fun with it!

L-111

Old 2013-01-30, 4:19pm

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

Patti, it sounds very exciting!! Please post some pics when you have a chance!! And keep posting how it all goes!

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin
Old 2013-01-30, 7:29pm
They see me rollin'...

Thanks, Pat and Amanda-I did read your whole thread, Pat, and I was very inspired!

We drove out there again today and I meant to take a few pics, but we ended up driving through heavy snow and fog and I forgot all about photos.

It's going to be hard to wait! The closing isn't until the end of February or early March.

In the meantime we found a farrier to trim the horses' hooves, and it turns out he lives in the same area. He also up and and moved here from cross-country.

Then today we went to the feed store to see about grain for the horses. A very nice couple runs the store and you guessed it, they live in that area too! And they know the farrier. And everyone knows the "white house on the hill" (the one we are buying).

Small world!

-Patti
Old 2013-01-30, 7:37pm
They see me rollin'...

Oh and best of all, the feed store people told us that right across the highway from the house, just past Pompeys Pillar, is a 8500 acre park where Emily can go trail riding. She was thrilled to hear that, especially since she has been really sad that we didn't get the other property that was right next to a large area of open range. (Bridger).

This park across the highway from us is in an area that is just gorgeous. I see some nature photography in my future!

-Patti
Old 2013-01-30, 7:38pm
They see me rollin'...

Oops, double post!

-Patti
Old 2013-02-07, 5:43pm
They see me rollin'...

Slight update: so I talked with the S Bar S guys yesterday. Found out that since there is a trade show next week, they are offering 10% off of their sheds! Yay!

They also make larger sizes than 12 x 20. I decided to go a little larger, 12 x 24. Even with windows, electricity and an insulated floor, it's about the same price with the discount.

I decided to finish the interior and paint the outside myself. Well, unless their paint department works cheap. lol I'll probably ask for a quote just for the heck of it.

Emily and I worked on our land layout and I think we have it mostly figured out. It's a big rectangle, so it will be pretty simple. I'd like to put the shedio to the right of the house...I'll have to have someone level the spot for the shedio for me, since there is a slight slope. I think I'll do a gravel base. It is a dry climate with only about 12-13" of rain a year, plus we're up on a plateau, so the drainage should be good.

Fortunately there is a stone company nearby that sells gravel cheap. Road gravel is $5.75 a ton! Wow! Limestone pea gravel is $52 a ton, which still isn't that bad. I thought it would be a LOT more.

This is very good, because the driveway seriously needs some gravel laid down. The sellers of the property don't seem to have done much to the property for a long time. Last time we went out there the snow had been seriously melting, so the ground was very wet and we almost got stuck in the mud driving on the driveway (I was just trying to turn around after driving by, I swear lol ), and that was in a 4-wheel drive truck! When we move in we need to be able to park a large-ish trailer there (the pod), and our RV and horse trailer. I may need to have gravel laid down first before we can move in, if it's really wet, but I also want to move in asap after the closing. I'm hoping for dry weather! O.O

We have to pick colors for the loafing sheds and all. I thought we had settled on dark green, but now Emily has taken a liking to charcoal, with cream trim (the loafing sheds come with steel siding that is already painted). I had thought we would make them all match, but since I am painting the shedio myself maybe I'll just pick a nice coordinating color. The house is blindingly white, so maybe I'll go with a lighter gray...I don't know.

Anyway, we are having fun planning everything. We'll probably order the sheds next week so they'll be ready by the beginning of March.

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-02-11 at 2:38pm.
Old 2013-02-11, 2:44pm
They see me rollin'...

So we're going to meet the sellers at the property early Thursday for the final walk-through. Just watch us all get stuck in the mud! hahaha

We're back to dark green for the loafing sheds and all. After all, the house is white with a green metal roof.

It's like blinding white. It soooo does not blend into the environment at all! Plus being on the edge of a hill overlooking the highway, you can see it from really far away. O.o On the plus side, when I give directions all I have to say is "The white house on the hill". lol

Is it just me, or is the process of buying a house absolutely terrifying?

At least they moved up the closing to 2/25, so we can get going on this stuff sooner. All this sitting around and waiting is driving me nuts!

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-02-11 at 2:47pm.
Old 2013-02-11, 5:55pm
Temptress

Good luck! Hope everything is perfect for the final walk through.
Old 2013-02-12, 12:51pm
They see me rollin'...

Thanks! I'm really nervous. This will be my first time meeting the sellers...O.o

I can't WAIT to get started on the shedio!

BTW, I think I'll stop by the gravel place today. They are supposed to have decorative stone, too. We've already started a river rock collection from staying at the KOA, and I think some landscaping with rocks would be nice.

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-02-14 at 7:07pm. Reason: diarrhea of the mouth