No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2010-01-20, 9:24am
old fart

Default back flow

watch this video. latter on in it you will see a guy using a hair dryer. this is essentially what happens to a lampworking flame when a mandrel or glass rod gets inserted into it. an otherwise well organized plume is scattered to the 4 winds. that is why you need a hood with baffles all the way to the work bench and that your torch sits under the hood. funnel style ventilation systems will not gather the back flow from the torch as well as a hood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSFwH...eature=related

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-20, 10:24am
And silence is golden

Interesting. Thanks Mark.
Old 2010-01-20, 10:35am
Peerless Thread Killer

That was great, Mark. It should be required viewing for elementary school science classes (that is, if they still have them!).

Old 2010-01-20, 10:38am
Gentleman of Leisure

More information, "Schlieren photography" as search phrase at Google.com

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-01-20, 12:10pm
Boro Bum

So you pick up your torch and wave it around the bead ? lol
I'm just saying static mounted torch and vents are not the same as your seeing in that video, the force of the torch and with the vent being at the end of the flame and above somewhat is different.
I would say take a look at the guy with the coffee and add pressure forcing the steam from the cup and have a vent right above him and the fumes from out of the torch would look more like that were it is mostly forced around his head.

Just my thoughts not FACT I'm not professor of this stuff lol just a jack of all trades, king of none.

AcidFly
Old 2010-01-20, 12:15pm
old fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidFly View Post
So you pick up your torch and wave it around the bead ? lol
I'm just saying static mounted torch and vents are not the same as your seeing in that video, the force of the torch and with the vent being at the end of the flame and above somewhat is different.
I would say take a look at the guy with the coffee and add pressure forcing the steam from the cup and have a vent right above him and the fumes from out of the torch would look more like that were it is mostly forced around his head.

Just my thoughts not FACT I'm not professor of this stuff lol just a jack of all trades, king of none.

AcidFly
you have missed the "back flow" point of this thread. it has nothing to do with you waving the torch in the air, or if it is mounted or not. when nothing is in the flame, the combustion byproducts follow a predictable trajectory and are more easily ventilated that what happens when you place a stationery object in the flow with reflects the flow stream and scatters it into may different directions which ventilate much different than the unobstructed torch. an since you continually place mandrels or glass rods into the flame, the combustion byproducts can go anywhere. so the incense test that a lot of peple use as their litmus test for ventilation, takes none of this into account. just because a stream of smoke leaves the incense and goes up your ventilation stack is not an indication of good ventilation, but if it doesn't, it indicates bad ventilation.

Last edited by laserglass; 2010-01-20 at 12:18pm.
Old 2010-01-20, 2:08pm
Boro Bum

Well I understand what your saying but i still don't agree to much with it.

Even OSHA do not make you put as strong and direct vent system in welding shop as we have on our torches

But Whatever
I just don't thing it is good to scare people about their vent systems because of a video of some guy waving his hair dryer around that you think looks like it might be similar to our torches. "not the same in my opinion"

BUT the video and the camera is very cool tho

AcidFly is done thx for your time

P.S. back flow point hmm I mostly seen you scaring people about their vent systems that they have hundred of dollars invested in lol

Last edited by AcidFly; 2010-01-20 at 2:11pm.
Old 2010-01-20, 6:42pm

Well, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Mark. He's a seasoned, experienced person who has contributed in a material and valuable way over quite some time on safety and other topics on this forum.

His points are well supported by another LE member, a retired engineer if I recall correctly, who took similar photos of a torch flame both at rest and with a rod inserted in it. I believe he published his photos and a related article about optimized hood designs in either the Annealer or The Flow in the spring of last year. This article re-inforces Mark's points about how the flame plume is disturbed by a rod and why there are limited ways to design a safe hood. The article is compelling in that a rod inserted in the flame actually causes the spent combustion product plume of the flame to bend backwards towards the lampworker's face - it's very, very clear in the photos.

Point being, disbelief will not change the laws of thermodynamics.... We had a young member of this forum apparently off himself accidentally a couple of years ago. He came to this board asking for advice on ventilation, got lots of excellent advice, and scoffed at everyone who tried to help him. When he dissappeared from regular posting suddenly, another member got concerned and went to go check on him. Very sadly, that person reported that he'd died, and indicated that his ventilation was what had done him in.

Given that, and the fact that an increasing number of folks on this and other forums are posting about health impacts related to lampworking in inadequate ventilation, I have no problem at all with Mark and others scaring folks into being safe. I would far, far rather see (and, like Mark, help) folks appreciate when they might not be safe, or not safe enough, and help them understand how to protect their precious health. You only get one pair of eyes, one set of lungs - and only one life. Some things are worth the investment needed to do it right, or to do it over so that it's right.

Linda
Old 2010-01-20, 8:19pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Why can't somebody take a digital still camera (should capture images) and with "setup" so it catches a profile of person, torch, torch plume and hood... Yes the live videos are very "dramatic" and yes it does demonstrate air in motion but a still shot should be just as informative just not as not dramatic...

Should demonstrate how effective capture device (hood is) .... It think if method can be adapted to the average persons use, it could be a very viable tool for verifying out setups are as good or bad as we think they are......

I think its very intriguing setup and might be alternative to spending large amount of money for thermal imaging camera.... I really think method could be a valuable tool....

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-01-20 at 8:35pm.
Old 2010-01-21, 8:12am
And silence is golden

OK I'm game. I have a setup similar to Acidfly's. It is still in the WIP stage. If someone would like to explain to me how to get images of the activity in motion, I'd be willing to share the results - Seriously. I'd like to finally get to the point of having my ventilation done and start torching. I did the smoke test without any obstacles in the way. Smoke went right up the vent. All done with the assistance of an engineer. I will try the system with various obstacles in the smoke plume to see what happens.

I don't have any intentions of "fuming" beads. I think it's a waste of precious metals. From what I understand, the young chap who moved on to the next phase of life's journey, was fuming. He basically metal coated his lungs. I'm thinking that would take a full plume of fume to accomplish that. Yes, fumes do emit just from all of the silver glasses and applications, but are they as strong in volume as when one does fuming? Any amount of metal fumes are not good for any of us, so I'd like to be sure that my system doesn't fail.
Old 2010-01-21, 8:40am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Who is this person that died from metal poisoning? I read it once and it was debunked in that same thread - as he did not die from metals.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-01-21, 8:43am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Just thought I would post this too:

Is silver harmful to humans? Unlike other metals such as lead and mercury, silver is not toxic to humans and is not known to cause cancer, reproductive or neurological damage, or other chronic adverse effects. Nor has normal day-to-day contact with solid silver coins, spoons or bowls been found to affect human health. This is because solid silver is almost completely biologically inert, and even if ingested, would pass through the human body without being absorbed into tissues.

In very high doses — such as those a factory worker might encounter in an accident — or from prolonged exposure to silver dust or fumes, silver can have some mostly mild effects on health. For example, inhaling silver fumes or dust may irritate mucous membranes or the upper respiratory tract.

Occasionally, sensitive individuals suffer allergic reactions — contact dermatitis or eye irritation — after exposure to powdered silver, silver solutions or dental fillings. Similarly, skin creams containing silver compounds (silver nitrate and silver sulphadiazine) cause local skin discoloration in certain sensitive individuals. Ingesting silver compounds, such as in medicines, can sometimes irritate the stomach.

Prolonged exposure to silver dust or to the silver compounds in medicines or supplements can also result in a permanent blue-gray staining of the eyes, nose, mouth, throat and skin. This blue-gray staining is known medically as “argyria.” The condition can make people look ill, as if they suffering from lack of oxygen. Once a person turns blue from argyria, the skin coloring is unfortunately permanent. Most medical professionals believe argyria is the most serious known health effect of silver on humans. Aside from its permanent cosmetic effect, argyria is not believed to pose any other risk to human health.

The mild, observed human health effects of silver exposure appear to be highly variable from one person or situation to another. Scientists have not identified exposure levels that can be generalized as harmful.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-01-21, 9:09am
Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Who is this person that died from metal poisoning? I read it once and it was debunked in that same thread - as he did not die from metals.
Thanks Squid, I was the debunker. And I have an e-mail straight from Daniel Trilli's sweet mother that the story flying around the boards was not accurate and that he did not die of metal poisoning.

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2010-01-21, 9:12am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgslampwork View Post
Thanks Squid, I was the debunker. And I have an e-mail straight from Daniel Trilli's sweet mother that the story flying around the boards was not accurate and that he did not die of metal poisoning.
Thank you!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-01-21, 9:13am
Meow.

Typos and all -- and this post was several months *before* I received the e-mail from his mother.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...li#post1337671

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2010-01-21, 10:00am
Boro Bum

very cool Idea there dale I would like to see/get involved in that
As for all this subject well maybe we should put vent systems at gas stations "that cant be good for you ? maybe we need vent systems when we have camp fires ? cant be good for you. Maybe we need vent systems for our cat littler boxes ? I know that cant be good for you.?
As for who's who and experience well my Grandpa was a foundry worker for 40 yrs and lived to 82 died because he fell and hit his head "never a lung problem" Father was machine shop/ welder wells hes 74 never a lung problem. I worked in a machine shop/welder for 20 yrs only lung problem i have is I smoke to much. So that's got to count for something.
I Just don't agree with some, not all that is being said ! I just believe we are going over board with some things "not that its not good or that's its bad to be safer just overboard.
My finial test i did on my setup was :
I had a hood setup and the kids in the other room would know/say they knew when i fired up the torch, as they put it they could smell something hot. Then I made the pipe and funnel setup i have now and with out telling anyone in the house I started using it and after 2 weeks of no complaining I asked them if they smelled anything and they said no that they didn't think i was doing it anymore. So with that I believe my vent /funnel blow the hood out of the water and I believe I and my family are very safe now.

here are some pictures I stole from the net and Well if this had enough power to bend that flame, It for sure is grabbing anything that is coming off the flame in fumes.
http://www.andreaguarino.com/ventilation/VentSys3.jpg
http://www.andreaguarino.com/ventilation/
That is not my system but its close.

Do you really think there is any fumes or smoke getting past that kind of air flow ?
In my opinion no way! fumes or smoke could be 2 foot away and its still going to be sucked into the vent.
Sorry I disagree with some of this but when do you say its good enough ? I did what I could with the money and resources I had and well to me Its good enough and I sleep fine at night knowing me and my family are safe.
Thx for your time
AcidFly
Old 2010-01-21, 10:03am
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post

Prolonged exposure to silver dust or to the silver compounds in medicines or supplements can also result in a permanent blue-gray staining of the eyes, nose, mouth, throat and skin. This blue-gray staining is known medically as “argyria.” The condition can make people look ill, as if they suffering from lack of oxygen. Once a person turns blue from argyria, the skin coloring is unfortunately permanent.
The all important answer to "Why so blue panda bear"!
Old 2010-01-21, 10:13am
And silence is golden

Cool pix Steve. The last one has me confused. The door is wide open to let the exhaust out with the portable ventilation system, only to leave access for the fumes to come right back in should a back draft of wind occur. Any thoughts on this?
Old 2010-01-21, 10:16am
Boro Bum

I believe that was his temp/portable setup. to try it out and after that they installed the system into the walls.
I Think !

AcidFly
Old 2010-01-21, 10:17am
And silence is golden

OIC.
Old 2010-01-21, 10:39am
Boro Bum

O ya My funnel is on top of the flame well not right over it but at a 45 % angle. "you know what I'm saying lol" So I guess its like a mini hood. Thought it would not hurt just in case you guys were right, just in case. So I guess I do agree somewhat as I did it with out thinking.
I guess my disagreement is size and how far do we go ?
That's all, didn't mean to make this a debate.

Sorry
AcidFly
Old 2010-01-21, 2:13pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Let me say this....... The 100cfm for fume cabinets and 125 cfm for hoods for a square foot of opening comes directly from OSHA regulations for ventilation with hoods and cabinets.... It's also very much documented in many places, many Universities and Medical institutions have written many thousands of words about this subject and have very specific procedures in place for use/testing of ventilation systems.......

These numbers are not just some arbitrary numbers some masochist has selected to use to harass the average lampworker....

Some reference materials...

http://www.ilpi.com/msds/ref/tlv.html
http://www.lni.wa.gov/Safety/Topics/...ault.asp#Hoods
http://www.isgb.org/info/safety/uploads/swsafety.pdf
http://www.aeromechindia.com/faq/wha...aminarflow.htm
http://www.continentalfan.com/lit.htm
http://www.suncourt.com/2Speed_Inductors.html
http://www.hartandcooley.com/flex/ai...tion_chart.pdf
http://www.tamhsc.edu/departments/ad.../fumehoods.php
http://ateam.lbl.gov/Design-Guide/DG...hydraulics.htm
http://www.glasscraftinc.com/product...m?part_id=7157
http://www.suncourt.com/Products.html
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/mi...ngs-d_208.html
http://www.freecalc.com/ductfram.htm
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ai...ram-d_328.html
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ex...ds-d_1036.html
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ve...tems-t_37.html

I apologize if any links are not valid....

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-01-21 at 2:17pm.
Old 2010-01-21, 2:16pm
Boro Bum

Thanks for the links that's alot of reading lol

Thx for your time

AcidFly
Old 2010-01-21, 2:26pm
old fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Why can't somebody take a digital still camera (should capture images) and with "setup" so it catches a profile of person, torch, torch plume and hood... Yes the live videos are very "dramatic" and yes it does demonstrate air in motion but a still shot should be just as informative just not as not dramatic...

Should demonstrate how effective capture device (hood is) .... It think if method can be adapted to the average persons use, it could be a very viable tool for verifying out setups are as good or bad as we think they are......

I think its very intriguing setup and might be alternative to spending large amount of money for thermal imaging camera.... I really think method could be a valuable tool....

Dale
actually, i have everything to make a camera except for a large telescope mirror. the larger the better. i will check around to see if i can pick one up. i would use a 630nm red laser diode coupled into a single mode optical fiber to act as the spatial filter. then all i need is the mirror, a short focus camera and a razor blade. if anyone has an old telescope they want to dedicate to science, please let me know. basically the size of the measurement zone is about 50% of the mirror diameter so with a 6 inch mirror i could see the 3 inches directly above the torch flame.

Old 2010-01-21, 4:23pm
Boro Bum

I got a old one but its one of those cheap ones from walmart It probably would not work or be big enough but its yours if you want it I would still have to look in the mess in the garage but it should be in there. Its the older straight ones not the ball style, Probably about 3 or so feet long.

AcidFly
Old 2010-01-21, 7:51pm

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification - I missed your original post. What he posted he was doing at the time didn't sound at all safe, and he was so stubborn and contrary that it left me feeling very concerned in his behalf as I read his posts. I'm so glad to know that he didn't die. That truly would have been awful.

Linda
Old 2010-01-21, 8:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidFly View Post
very cool Idea there dale I would like to see/get involved in that

here are some pictures I stole from the net and Well if this had enough power to bend that flame, It for sure is grabbing anything that is coming off the flame in fumes.
http://www.andreaguarino.com/ventilation/VentSys3.jpg
http://www.andreaguarino.com/ventilation/
That is not my system but its close.

Do you really think there is any fumes or smoke getting past that kind of air flow ?
In my opinion no way! fumes or smoke could be 2 foot away and its still going to be sucked into the vent.
Sorry I disagree with some of this but when do you say its good enough ? I did what I could with the money and resources I had and well to me Its good enough and I sleep fine at night knowing me and my family are safe.
Thx for your time
AcidFly
Although it may not be intuitively obvious, there's a very good chance that fumes are not being fully extracted by this ventilation approach, as appealing as it looks. The plume around the flame is mostly invisible to the naked eye, so you can't tell by looking whether it's getting completely sucked down into the funnel. You need another kind of test or special photography like the Schlieren technique or other ideas being brought up here to know for sure. Room drafts, eddy currents caused by your hands and body as you move around the flame, and the rod itself in particular all create turbulence that can kick parts of the plume around such that this type of funnel arrangement might not be able to get it all. Remember that really hot air rises really fast - perhaps faster than this kind of system can respond. The other problem with this approach is that it's trying to pull the hot plume down - working against the fact that hot air rises instead of taking advantage of that thermodynamic principle.

Unfortunately, I haven't run across anyone who knows how to analyze this, and other types of funnel systems, to know for sure if they provide the right level of protection for our needs, nor have I run across any posts by anyone who might have tested one to see if it's doing what it should. By contrast, and as Dale rightly notes, the traditional hoods that Mark, Dale and others have promoted have well founded safety bases.

A safe hood doesn't have to be expensive, by the way. I've made mine out of left-over 2x4's, cheap sheet metal and equally cheap backer board. Others have done clever, inexpensive hoods with sheet metal.

In your own case, it wouldn't take much to make your set-up safer, along the lines of Dales links, and could very likely be done quite inexpensively. To get an idea how well your current hood configuration is working for you, you might consider setting off a smoke bomb next to your flame with a rod inserted in it. Havea family member take a side-view video as you do this so that you can play it back and see if all of the smoke is getting extracted or not. If it isn't, then you might want to re-think your arrangement. As to your question regarding how to know when you're good enough, Dales links and the following resource can help you:

http://mikeaurelius.wordpress.com/ventilation-primer/

and

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum/index.php

Linda
Old 2010-01-21, 10:31pm
Meow.

Linda, to clarify further he did, indeed, pass away--but not after working a 15 hour session and not from metal poisoning as had been reported on several forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMLinda View Post
Thanks for the clarification - I missed your original post. What he posted he was doing at the time didn't sound at all safe, and he was so stubborn and contrary that it left me feeling very concerned in his behalf as I read his posts. I'm so glad to know that he didn't die. That truly would have been awful.

Linda

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2010-01-22, 5:38am

Quote:
Linda, to clarify further he did, indeed, pass away--but not after working a 15 hour session and not from metal poisoning as had been reported on several forums.
Thank you for your further clarification. It's sad that we lost him for any reason.

Linda
Old 2010-01-22, 8:00am
old fart

check this out, its kind of cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g4UBeaG5fs