Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2006-06-26, 7:25am

Default GTT or carlisle?

Ok, let's pretend that $ is no object...tough, yes, but I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on the carlisle CC versus the GTT Mirage. I would really like to get into larger boro work, vessels, sculpture. any advice?
Old 2006-06-26, 7:26am
ManBearPig

Mirage hands down. But a CC will do nicely as well.

Good luck getting a GTT, though. I've been waiting on a Phantom for over six months now...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
•
•
•
Old 2006-06-26, 8:19am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern light
Ok, let's pretend that $ is no object...tough, yes, but I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on the carlisle CC versus the GTT Mirage. I would really like to get into larger boro work, vessels, sculpture. any advice?
The Mirage is much more efficient on gas and oxygen than a CC. It will put the heat to the core of the glass faster than a CC (or any Beth, for that matter). It has more heat density than a CC+ RP (or the Great White, or the 65 HA).

It is not as harsh on your colors - you can work crayon colors without encasing.

It is quieter.

The body stays cool. You won't burn yourself on the barrel of the torch just by looking at it.

It has an amazing flame range.

It can work any type of glass from the most finicky leaded glass to quartz and everything in between.
Old 2006-06-26, 8:38am
boro color bender

You won't burn yourself on any torch just by looking at it. Nice jab there Kimberly...

The CC is the work horse of our industry that got us where we are today. They are built like a tank... maintenance is easy... but the premix centerfire is harsher on colors. They have an optimizer now, that I'm wanting to try. It's supposed to tame the beast. If you're working a lot of clear, it's great as is! I used to have a CC before I got a Mirage. I personally liked the Mirage better for the type of large solid lathe work I was doing. It is not built as tough, but does come with a lifetime warranty... this does not include damage done to the torch my the user. If you are doing hollow work or really need a solid torch that will take abuse, I'd seriously look at the CC. I know you said that price isn't an object, but it's almost half the price. The Mirage is an awesome torch... just make sure you need it before you spend over $1700.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-06-26, 8:52am
boro color bender

GTT torches have a down side... but when you design something as complex as a torch, you can't have every thing. It's give and take, to make it work better in a certain aspect, you may give up another strength other torches have.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Last edited by Mr. Smiley; 2006-06-28 at 2:33am.
Old 2006-06-26, 9:04am
ManBearPig

Well, to reinforce what I said in my first post in this thread - A Mirage is a great torch. A CC is a great torch as well. Is the Mirage $700 better than the CC? That's up to the user to decide. I haven't used a Mirage. I have used a Phantom, and I have used a CC. There are things I prefer a Phantom for, and things I would rather work on a CC.

However, if money were no object, I'd say get a Python. Of course, if money were no object, I'd be discussing whether to buy a Ferrari or Lamborghini. Not which kind of torch to buy...

•
•
•
Old 2006-06-26, 10:09am
Safety ALWAYS

Default Introducing the Mongoose!

The Mongoose is a new torch on the market, specifically designed to address the needs of the growing number of lampworkers who want larger and larger torches. Designed to be modified by the owner simply by adding progressively larger outer rings of flame, it is both the perfect starter torch and the only torch a lampworker will ever need. Cooling of the torch is accomplished by flowing both oxygen and nitrogen through the torch body through cleverly designed stainless micro-tubules. The torch body will never get hotter than you can comfortably touch.

The Mongoose 1 is a both a surface and pre-mix torch, with 7 ports. 3 Valves control the flow of compressed air, oxygen, propane. An additional 4th valve allows you to adjust the mixture of compressed air and propane inside the torch body. True QUADRUPLE mix technology! 2 to 15 mm flame diameter.

Price $ 195.00 plus shipping

The Mongoose 2 is an add-on torch body that slides over your existing Mongoose1 and adds a 30 port outer fire. 4 additional valves. Outer fire ring is capable of 30 mm flame diameter.

Price $ 250.00 plus shipping

The Mongoose 3 is an add-on torch body that slides over your existing Mongoose 1 and Mongoose 2 and adds a 60 port outer fire. 4 additional valves. Outer fire ring is capable of 50 mm flame diameter.

Price $ 795.00 plus shipping.

The Mongoose 4 is the final add-on available at this time. It slides over the existing Mongoose 1, 2, and 3, to add an astonishing 150 ports! 4 additional valves. Outer fire ring is capable of 90 mm flame diameter.

Price $ 1250.00 plus shipping

Special package pricing:

Mongoose 1 and 2: $ 435 plus shipping
Mongoose 1, 2 and 3: $ 1195.00 plus shipping
Mongoose 1, 2, 3, and 4: $ 2200.00 plus shipping

These torches are available for immediate shipment to anywhere in the world.

Gas pressures: Oxygen: 5 to 45 PSI, Propane: 2 to 20 PSI, Compressed Air: 10 to 20 PSI. The range used by the torch will depend on the number of outer rings being used. Nitrogen is used as a cooling gas only, and requires .5 PSI continuous flow.

Footswitches will be coming soon, specially designed for the 3 ports (oxygen, compressed air, and propane), as well as the 4 total rings of flame.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-06-26, 10:16am
ManBearPig

Mike,

Where can we get more info on the Mongoose? Who makes them? Sounds very interesting...

And, to everyone else, sorry for disrupting the post. The Carlisle and GTT are both good torches, as are Bethlehems (which I currently use, at the recommendation of Brent and others). I would, however, take what you read in this thread and others on this board (both good and bad) into account no matter what torch you buy...

•
•
•
Old 2006-06-26, 10:26am
PyronamixK

Mike, can you run it on a concentrator?

Oh, and the compressed air option is great. You can add compressed air through torches without a dedicated inlet, btw. Ask me how and I will explain. This is beneficial to anyone wanting to do thin hollow work.
Old 2006-06-26, 10:30am
ManBearPig

I know Carlisle has that "optimizer" for adding compressed air, but I don't know anyone that uses it so I don't know much about it. Don't Herbert Arnold torches use compressed air as well?

•
•
•
Old 2006-06-26, 10:31am
ManBearPig

Quote:
I bet you never thought your first post on this board would be so popular, huh?

•
•
•
Old 2006-06-26, 10:33am
Safety ALWAYS

Kimberly, no. Tanks or liquid only.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-06-26, 10:39am
What, Me Worry?

Mike,
At Mongoose level 4 there are 16 valves?
Did I add right?
Bill
Old 2006-06-26, 10:44am
Safety ALWAYS

Yep. a set for each ring.

Old 2006-06-26, 10:48am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
I know Carlisle has that "optimizer" for adding compressed air, but I don't know anyone that uses it so I don't know much about it. Don't Herbert Arnold torches use compressed air as well?
Yes, HAs use compressed air.

When using compressed air with a Herbie, be sure to have a water trap in place. It can be an expensive mistake not to (there was a thread about it on the GLDG).

For other torches without the dedicated inlet, you just add air through the propane line. This works well for four stud torches. It is important to have an in-line regulator for the air. Jason Howard used to make these set-ups, and may again if he is persuaded to with enough interest.
Old 2006-06-26, 10:50am
ManBearPig

A Herbie is something I've never used. And, quite frankly, they look a little scary to me...

•
•
•
Old 2006-06-26, 10:54am

Quote:
I personally would go with the Mirage, as the CC is internal mix on the single center port and surface mix on the outer 34 ports. The boro colors don't develop as easily as on a complete surface mix torch. The Mirage has seven center ports with 33 outer ports, all surface mix. During classes working colored boro, the people working on CC's generally had a harder time getting the colors. You will have more versatility with the Mirage, as you can still do smaller work using the inner 7 ports, similar to a Lynx.

I hope that helps.
Pam

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2006-06-26, 10:57am
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
A Herbie is something I've never used. And, quite frankly, they look a little scary to me...
What attracted me to the HA was once you set up the flame balance you could adjust the flame from full to pinpoint with just one knob, big to little, and anywhere in between, and the balance remained the same.
What scared me was the price.
Bill
Old 2006-06-26, 11:03am
PyronamixK

Quote:
They do look a little scary to some people. I was taking Makenzie for a spin through the technical exhibit area at the GAS conference and when we passed by one, she cried. Personally, I find them interesting. Not too many people know how they work.

The thing about Herbies is that they tune them at the factory for your specific application. So, if you work soft thin hollows, that is what they tune it for. If you work hard solids, that it what they tune it for. Everything is preset at the factory, so when you get it home, you just adjust the one control knob. The more you turn the knob, the center fire turns on, and then the next ring of fire comes on, and then the third ring...

The down side is that if you have your HA configured for one thing (hollow work, for example), it won't be very effective for other work (solid work, for example). And, if you start messing with the hex nuts and stuff other than the one control knob, you are asking for trouble.

To get around this, guys with HAs will often put inline regulators up at the torch so they can control the flame that way.
Old 2006-06-26, 11:06am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhhco
What scared me was the price.
Yeah, that too. They start at like $2200 or something, don't they?

Of course, I'm sure I'll own one before long. I'm on a mission to own one of every torch brand. Then probably one of every torch model.

Yes, I'm a torch-whore. I admit it.

•
•
•
Old 2006-06-26, 1:47pm
Safety ALWAYS

ooooooooo....what he said......ROFL!!!

Old 2006-06-26, 2:48pm

Someone (forget who - just remember the torch) was demo'ing at a GAS conference with an HA and she had a heck of a time getting it set up. Evidently it is extremely sensitive and because she moved it from her home to the conference it was all messed up. As I remember it it took her about 45 minutes to get it to work and then it wasn't right, she said. I think I prefer a simpler life, thank you.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2006-06-26, 3:45pm
ManBearPig

Well, I've heard with Herbies, you either swear by them or you swear at them. The guys I have talked to that use them won't use anything else. It does look like a big adjustment to me.

•
•
•
Old 2006-06-26, 5:19pm
Entropy increasing....

We saw a really nice torch at Fratz a couple of weeks ago called a Bullet Burner. Everyone there really liked it, but they don't actually carry it. It was small in stature, but you cold really control the flame and it just didn't get hot. All the guys wanted one.

Not that I know anything about torches. We have a GTT Cheeta and I don't use it.
Old 2006-06-26, 5:29pm
boro color bender

I liked the CC much better after my class with Mickelsen. Before that class, I really didn't care too much for it. That style of larger sculpture really worked well with that torch. It's a beast and you can manhandle it.

The Bullet didn't impress me when I had it for a few weeks. It's a good torch and Selchow really loves his... I just didn't like it for what I do.

Old 2006-06-26, 6:11pm

Those of you waiting for a torch don't feel bad. I've beem waiting for a Lucio torch since September. I know people are getting them but I'm not. I don' think I even want it anymore. I think I'm over my sculpture wanna be phase. Paula

edited to add...The torch just got here and it's a beauty!!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2006-06-28 at 8:59am.
Old 2006-06-27, 6:04am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan
Not that I know anything about torches. We have a GTT Cheeta and I don't use it.
Wanna sell it?

•
•
•
Old 2006-06-27, 6:12am
Safety ALWAYS

A torch, any torch, will be only as good as the person using it.

Those are my thoughts, and mine alone. Mine, do you hear me? MINE!!! No one else can think this!!!! MIIIIINNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehehehehehehehehehe

Old 2006-06-27, 6:23am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius
A torch, any torch, will be only as good as the person using it.

Those are my thoughts, and mine alone. Mine, do you hear me? MINE!!! No one else can think this!!!! MIIIIINNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehehehehehehehehehe
In that case, maybe I should start using a can of hair spray and a lighter as my torch...

•
•
•
Old 2006-06-27, 6:48am
Safety ALWAYS

ROFL...I think I better stop eating raw coffee. You think?