No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2006-10-30, 7:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy
Perhaps instead of warnings, we could call them "don't be stupids" and post signs on that vein.

As in:

DON'T BE STUPID - BEADS AREN'T FOR TODDLERS. IF YOU'RE DUMB ENOUGH
TO GIVE BEADS TO A 3 YEAR OLD, PLEASE DO NOT BLAME US FOR THE CONSEQUENCES.

and

DON'T BE STUPID - GLASS IS STILL GLASS, AND WILL CUT YOU IF IT BREAKS.
DON'T WEAR GLASS RINGS WHILE PLAYING RACQUETBALL.
Can I vote we do this for *ALL* the warning lables on ALL the stuff out there???
I mean...who *really* uses a chainsaw on their private parts? Or thinks rat poison isn't *toxic*? Or that matches aren't flamable??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2006-10-31, 3:35pm

speaking of insurance and all, i just called my allstate insurance agent, who then called someone "higher up", and i was told that i don't need any special insurance (for my house... someone's dog choking on a bead i've made is another story). i have my set up out in the furthest section of our three car garage, and our garage is connected to our house by a little corridor (i suppose that technically, our house and garage are connected). our agent claims that our homeowners insurance covers everything in case of a fire caused by my equipment. i live in oregon... does anybody know differently?
Old 2006-11-01, 8:38am
Formerly known as LT

My insurance agent had a fit when we set up the studio. We had to make an appointment with him to come and see it. I was told that if I wanted to sell anything I would have to get private insurance for this to cover problems. I don't own the house but have renters insurance. The rub is that the studio is a business and not a hobby. He told me that if I don't sell anything then I don't have to get extra insurance. How fun is that. I would check with others in your area to make sure you are covered. It never herts to ask but if you don't it would hurt alot if he is wrong. The other thing is the liability issue. I would recomend that even if you think it is silly.
Old 2006-11-01, 10:27am

thanks for your advice, lt... i will look around just to make sure i'm covered. and yes, i am calling someone today about the liability. i do think that it's silly that it's necessary, but i'd rather be safe than sorry!
Old 2006-11-02, 9:35pm
Boro Brat

My favorite is the big rubbermaid tubs that have a picture of a child in the tub with the cover on with a big red line through it...WHO would put their CHILD in a rubbermaid tub?!?!?!?!?! Where do they come up with these things??

Old 2006-11-05, 9:37pm

WHAT???????? who doesn't put their child in a rubbermaid tub?
Old 2006-11-05, 9:49pm
I'm a lilac!

LOL my children will climb inside a Rubbermaid tub in a HOT SECOND if I'm not right there telling them not to! Maybe they have some instinctive knowledge that tells them my line must not be allowed to continue...

Actually I have come to the conclusion, over the years with these little Tazmanian Devils I call "My Little Darlings", that a very high proportion of the warnings on products are designed to protect the children of parents who want to be able to put their kid on the floor and then leave the room for half an hour. How many kid products say "Do Not Leave Child Unattended"?

OK, now a show of hands... how many of you WOULD HAVE ACTUALLY LEFT YOUR SMALL CHILD ALONE without that warning? I bet there aren't a lot of hands up here... because you all have a decent degree of "HI OMG THAT IS OBVIOUS"-type common sense. But there are just enough parents who totally will leave their baby alone in a bathtub, with a hair curler, that manufacturers feel the need to put the warnings on.

Old 2006-11-05, 10:14pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Hey Kalera,
Wanna dump our kids into a rubbermade container and go out for drinks?

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2006-11-05, 11:26pm
I'm a lilac!

HAHAHAHA SHIT YES! I need to buy a plane ticket first...

Old 2006-11-28, 10:13pm

We all know coffee is hot and not to place a fresh, newly purchased cup between our legs correct? Apparently our legal system isn't quite up to date on what is common sense and what is plain stupidity.
I say cover your ass.

Tracey

Listen to your inner voice. It knows what's it's talking about.