Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-06-11, 11:41am
Safety ALWAYS

Default Eye Protection

******* NOTICE **************

It has been brought to my attention that a link to this single post has been made on a certain glassworking related forum. This link was made without my permission, in fact permission was denied to the poster of the link to directly copy the details of this post.

I have asked that the link be removed.

Content removed by the author to prevent unauthorized use of copywrited material

Last edited by MikeAurelius; 2006-01-03 at 10:55am.
Old 2005-06-11, 3:19pm
Satake Woman!

Thanks Mike!!! You are doing a great job as our new safety Guru.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2005-06-11, 3:29pm
Broken

I have your 92's I think they are and regular didy's. I find the regular ones make my eyes strain a a bit but the 92's I love! Are they still OK for soft glass, or are they less protection?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-06-12, 9:28am
Safety ALWAYS

AUR-92's are very good for soft glass (and only soft glass).
Old 2005-06-16, 12:12pm
Pink-tini anyone?

Nicker, I had the didy's before too and just switched to the 92's a month or so ago! They are great! Thanks for the info (and the specs) Mike.

Old 2005-06-16, 4:03pm
Ghost Town Glass

Mike, I had cataract surgery three months ago. Do you know if, or think that, I should be wearing something stronger than 92's? I have only torched a couple of times since, because they (dr) kinda mucked it up and I have been super light sensitive. That is calming down, but I don't want to do any damage. Any thoughts? My opthamologist said it would be fine but he had no idea about what I do and wouldn't read the sheets I took from your site...

Thanks!
Old 2005-06-17, 8:49am
Safety ALWAYS

I'm assuming you are doing soft glass...that being the case, I've discussed this with quite a few people who've had cataract surgery and each one has said the same thing: very sensitive to bright light AND heat.

I'd recommend this: Get a pair of welder's clip on's. Shade 3 or 5, which ever you can get. You will probably have to increase your task lighting, but the additional filtration should get you through.

Beyond the surgical healing stage, if you are still sensitive, you might want to consider the AGW-203 filter. I have many soft glass people who are using this filter - they are sensitive to bright light (typically blue-eyed, true blondes).

Let me know if there's anything I can do...
Old 2005-06-17, 9:50am
koregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius
I'm assuming you are doing soft glass...that being the case, I've discussed this with quite a few people who've had cataract surgery and each one has said the same thing: very sensitive to bright light AND heat.

I'd recommend this: Get a pair of welder's clip on's. Shade 3 or 5, which ever you can get. You will probably have to increase your task lighting, but the additional filtration should get you through.

Beyond the surgical healing stage, if you are still sensitive, you might want to consider the AGW-203 filter. I have many soft glass people who are using this filter - they are sensitive to bright light (typically blue-eyed, true blondes).

Let me know if there's anything I can do...
Hey Mike, what about those huge glasses they give people to wear over their glasses right at the eye doctor...I know they handed me a pair when I had my rk's years ago, they would darken it enough maybe???

I know I can't imagine torching without eye protection...I couldn't see a thing if I didn't wear my aur-92's...I love them. I would think if you just wore clear safety glasses with soft glass you would eventually get eye strain from looking through the soda flare? enough eye strain and your vision can change and you will get headaches...so in a way...it would affect you by not wearing the right protection and filters woudln't it?

Old 2005-06-17, 10:12am
Safety ALWAYS

Yep.

The problem with those oversize glasses they give you is that they cut visible light but not IR. After surgery, your eyes are much more suseptible to IR damage than normal.

For normal out and about every day, they are fine, but not when you are 8" away from a 3300 degree torch.
Old 2005-06-17, 10:18am
koregon

No, I meant over their regular aur-92's...wouldn't they help cut down the light??

just a way to double up I meant, since they probably have those laying around from the doctors office

Quote:
Yep.

The problem with those oversize glasses they give you is that they cut visible light but not IR. After surgery, your eyes are much more suseptible to IR damage than normal.

For normal out and about every day, they are fine, but not when you are 8" away from a 3300 degree torch.

Old 2005-06-17, 10:51am
Ghost Town Glass

Hi Mike! Yes it is soft glass. Okay, I will try those things. At this point, I am using those big oversize glasses over my sunglasses when I am outside in any light, so that is my sensitivity level. I have come back to the torch very slowly, because I don't want to do any more damage. You are right about the heat too.

Kaye, I am going to try putting those honkers over my 92's and see what happens. I had not thought of that.

I can't believe people can torch with just saftey glasses. I take my 92's every where. Even before the surgery, I found that I got much more depth and control, with the added protection.

Thank you both!!!
Old 2005-06-17, 12:25pm
Surrounded by Trouble

I see so much better in my 92's I got from you.
Plus I love the cool frames you offer, I don't feel like such a dork wearing them.
Although I have mistaken them for my sunglasses and even left the house with them on before.
Old 2005-06-17, 1:31pm
Safety ALWAYS

They will cut the light, but as I said, the issue is IR (heat energy). After surgery, the eye is very sensitive to any kind of radiation.

I wouldn't recommend them at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye
No, I meant over their regular aur-92's...wouldn't they help cut down the light??

just a way to double up I meant, since they probably have those laying around from the doctors office
Old 2005-06-17, 9:12pm
Administrator

I also love the glasses I got from you!

I do have a question though. I heard that the boro clip on things "wear out". How long are they good for and why do they get less effective?

I need to get another pair of glasses for when my buggy comes out to watch!

Old 2005-06-18, 7:47am
Safety ALWAYS

Good question Corri!

The plastic/polycarbonate welder's clip on filters do "wear out". The filtration in the material is added to the material in the form of a dye. With intense radiation, the dye does fade over time. We recommend replacing them every 6 months.
Old 2005-06-21, 2:28pm

Gosh Mike, you are just THE BEST!!!

But ya know, it's sharing this kind of knowledge and advice that can make you unwelcome in some parts...
Old 2005-06-22, 5:53am
Safety ALWAYS

heh...you know, you may have something there ROFLMAO
Old 2005-12-20, 2:21pm
Evil Genius in Disguise

Quote:
If you are using a HotHead torch, you really DON'T need to wear anything but regular safety glasses. BUT, if you want to be able to see your work, and improve your art, you should wear a didymium filter to remove the sodium flare.
Bumping this old thread to thank Mike for this, because a thread on another forum had me scared out of my wits for my eyesight.

Thank you!

"Neighbors suck. Burn her house down and make beads out of her windows."--Shawnette
Old 2005-12-21, 7:04am
ManBearPig

Hey Mike,

Can I copy that first post for use on my web site? With credit to you, of course...

Old 2005-12-21, 10:57am
Safety ALWAYS

Sure can, no problem.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-12-21, 12:37pm
used to be Moretti 4REAL!

I was going to post a question here, and then read this instead..... good thing too, because this answered my question!!

There is an art studio close by where my son goes to take ceramics. She offers all sorts of different mediums the kids can choose-and has a hot head set up where a young teen was making a bead when I went to pick up my boy yesterday.

The teen wasnt' wearing any eye protection, and I asked her about that. She was certain that working on a hot head he didn't need any eye protection. I was certain he did.... and this thread proved that true.

THANKS!!!

Angela
Old 2005-12-21, 12:58pm
ManBearPig

No, a hot head doesn't need it, but how much are your eyes worth to you? I'd rather be safe than sorry....

Old 2005-12-21, 2:10pm
Safety ALWAYS

You NEED eye protection of some kind, even if it is clear safety glasses. This is the point some people forget - WEAR SOMETHING!!!!!!!!

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-12-21, 2:24pm
Gentleman of Leisure

MIKE and COSMO are correct. Everyone working on torch needs eye protection.

Working on Hothead doe not require tinted lenses (didymium) , BUT use at very least clear safety lenses.

For bigger torches and boro glass special lenses "colored" and "IR" blocking lenses are required...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2005-12-22, 10:37am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
******* NOTICE **************

It has been brought to my attention that a link to this single post has been made on a certain glassworking related forum. This link was made without my permission, in fact permission was denied to the poster of the link to directly copy the details of this post.

I have asked that the link be removed.

The main concern for lampworkers (beadmakers) is IR radiation. NIOSH feels that normal glassworker eyewear is adequate to shield the eye from this radiation. This final conclusion from 2769 (NIOSH HETA 98-0139-2769) : Page 7, Discussions and Conclusions, 6th paragraph: "… Since the levels of optical radiation produced in these glass bead operations are generally below occupational exposure levels, many beadmakers may believe that they do not need to wear any type of eye protection. NIOSH investigators believe that appropriate eyewear needs to be worn for the following reasons:

a) To minimize sodium flare and IR levels.
b) To protect the eyes from broken glass.
c) To prevent burns of the eyelids."

While sodium flare is NOT hazardous, it is difficult to see through and filtering it out serves the wearer of such glasses well by allowing them to see their work and see the glass as it changes temperature. The key here is the word minimize. You do not have to totally eliminate IR from your workplace. Incidental IR exposure takes place all the time, and eliminating it with the technology available today would cause additional problems (example: the inability to discern the color red).

UV is not a major concern to anyone who wears glasses. This is because most optical material today do an excellent job of filtering UV to about 380 nm. UV radiation injury from any source is almost impossible for anyone who wears glasses of any kind. However, if you do not wear glasses, a pair of plano (non-prescription) safety glasses will provide all the UV protection you will need.

Sodium flare is filtered by didymium and the didymium variants. The only distinguishing factor is the additional filtration that is offered by the variants. These additional filtration lines serve to help the wearer by eliminating a higher percentage of the sodium flare, as well as distinguishing color temperatures.

IR is much more difficult to filter out because it is so pervasive in everything the hot or warm glass worker does. With so many varieties of work and IR sources, it becomes difficult to choose the best type of eyewear for a specific task. For furnace/kiln/glory hole workers, a lens that offers good visible light transmission is required for workplace safety as well as excellent IR protection.

Contrary to popular belief, a gold-coated lens does not by itself filter a sufficient quantity of IR to justify the cost or loss of visible light transmission. A white lens coated with 99.99% pure gold still transmits up to 25% IR energy from 1000 nm to 2500 nm. What is needed instead is a lens that absorbs IR. There are several varieties of lenses, beginning with the welder's series.

A shade 2.0 welders lens has an average IR transmission of 5% from 1000 nm to 2500nm, while a welders shade 2.5 has an average of just 2.5% in that same range. The shade 2.0 has an averages 25% visible light transmission with a peak of 40%, while the shade 2.5 averages 15% with a peak of 22.5%.

Another type of lens is the IR absorber. An IR absorbing glass type, like the Schott KG series, is used in the AGWâ„¢ series filters supplied by Aura Lens Products. These filters provide truly excellent IR absorption from about 800 nm to over 3,000 nm. These are the same filters used in IR laser protective eyewear.

On final way to block IR is to stack ¼" tempered plate glass with an air gap. Two or more sheets will provide approximately 80-85% IR filtration until they absorb enough energy to become IR radiators themselves.

The key point to remember in selecting proper eyewear is that you need good visible light transmission coupled with any additional IR protection that you may require. Dark lenses are hazardous to wear: you cannot see anything unless you are either outside or using floodlights in your studio. As soon as you move away from the furnace/glory hole, you cannot see. How are you going to take your glasses off when you have both hands on the punty? One additional thought - the eye is a marvelous machine: it has its own brightness filter: the pupil. When the light is too bright, the pupil closes down. When it is dark, the pupil opens up. However, when we fool the eye with dark lenses, the pupil opens wide - allowing any hazardous radiation that the dark lenses do not filter to flood into the eye. A lighter colored shade allows the pupil to help protect the more delicate and sensitive structures of your eye.

Ask to see transmission charts before you buy protective eyewear. If the eyewear supplier cannot or will not provide transmission charts, find another supplier. Remember that price does not always indicate that you are getting the best product for the money. And finally, what is good for someone in one shop is not necessarily good for you in yours.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myth, Superstition and Urban Legend

UV Hazards - Myth
Unless your work or torch/furnace exceeds 6000 degrees F, there is NO UV hazard. Small amounts of UV are generated, but they are absorbed by any eyewear you may choose to wear. (N.B.: It has been brought to my attention that working quartz generates vast amounts of UV, so quartz workers should wear additional UV protection.)

Sodium Flare - Myth/Superstition
Sodium Flare is NOT a hazard to the eye. It is an inconvenience, a distraction. It can be bright enough to hide your working area. It will not burn your retinas. It will not give you cataracts or glaucoma.

Visible Light Hazards
However, there are cases where too much light is no good either, especially when working borosilicate glass. Borosilicate glass requires higher temperatures to work (See IR Hazards) and because of these high temperatures, the color flares are much brighter. Some color flares, like Glass Alchemy Green Dwarf, require as much as a shade 8 or darker filter. Green Dwarf has a very strong potassium flare, and until we find a notch filter for it, shade 8 is the only filter available for it.

IR Hazards
This is where general knowledge seems to break down. Most glassworkers, especially Hot Shop workers (traditional glassblowers, fusers, slumpers, casters) totally ignore the IR hazard, thinking that didymium lenses are sufficient protection. Look at a transmission chart for didymium, and you will see that didymium transmits over 70% IR. Hot Shop and borosilicate workers are exposed to extreme amounts of IR and must take steps to protect their eyes. IR causes long term, non-correctable cumulative injury to the eye. There are plenty of options available, from welding filters to high tech, nearly clear specialized IR filters.

Urban Legends
Many books have been written about our art/craft -- each has many hint, tips and suggestions about many facets of our work. As the case in point, Cindy Jenkins' book is about her particular torch, the HotHead. This torch is nothing more than a modification of the propane torch you can get at Home Depot. It is not capable of high temperature operation like many of the oxy-propane torches that many lampworkers use.

Problems develop when recommendations made for the HotHead torch are applied to other torches and other glass types.

If you are using a HotHead torch, you really DON'T need to wear anything but regular safety glasses. BUT, if you want to be able to see your work, and improve your art, you should wear a didymium filter to remove the sodium flare.

Do not apply this "rule" to any other torch, gas mixture, or glass type.

Working with a kiln, furnace, or glory hole requires special IR filters. Any statement to the contrary is false, and hazardous to your long-term vision.

By all means, read everything you can get your hands on -- but take care when reading about safety, especially when someone makes a comment 'you don't need to worry about this'. Get recommendations from several other sources, including your own physician, or eyecare specialist.

The more you know about the hazards involved, the safer you will be.

Yes there is a link up on Art Glass Answers.

I cordially asked Mike if I could put up "Eye Protection" artical on AGA with his name as author and copyright line... He refused me premission to put up article in its entirety. I respected his wish. I did not know it was a "violation" to direct people via a "linK" to a source of information that I felt was so important that I would put up a link on AGA..

Respectfully

Dale Meisenheimer

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2005-12-22 at 11:09am.
Old 2005-12-22, 10:45am
Safety ALWAYS

It is when I do not wish my name associated with a certain group of people -- you were denied permission to use my name and posted information. Please remove the link from your website. I've asked privately, now I'm asking publically. Please remove the link from your AGA website, I do not want my name associated with your endevour.

Old 2005-12-24, 10:43am
Fight glass with FIRE

Here is a website with the laws regarding the INTERNET http://www.lawguru.com/ilawlib/

It is unfortunate that some stuff we can't do anything about and some others yes.

I'm posting this since it seems it might help out Dale M to see what can be posted on websites and forum with of without permission and might help others to see what their rights are on the internet.

Emmanuel Germain
Old 2005-12-28, 12:09am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxfire Flameworks
Bumping this old thread to thank Mike for this, because a thread on another forum had me scared out of my wits for my eyesight.

Thank you!
Ha! would that be the thread that I've been getting "argumentative" in?

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2005-12-28, 6:58am
Safety ALWAYS

Actually, Luna, I'm a bit taken aback at some of the creative editing you've done...

Here's what I've said from the very beginning about didymium (and ACE filters) for soft glass workers. Are they absolutely necessary? No.

Here's what you left off in your proclamation on that "other" board:

BUT they remove the sodium flare that allows you to see through the flame and allows you to make better glass pieces.

I absolutely DO NOT agree that your sunglasses are safe for you. As I have said in countless places, sunglasses do NOTHING except open up the pupil of the eye very wide, which allows 20 times the radiation that would otherwise be blocked by a small pupil. The so-called UV danger from sunlight is filtered out by most clear safety glasses. The hazardous part of UV from sunlight is not in the 380 to 400 nm range, but the 200 to 320 nm range that every single pair of glasses ever made for eyewear completely and totally blocks out.

11% transmission is patently UNSAFE when you are working with an open flame and hot glass.

Exerpt from here: http://www.auralens.net/e_gwrecommend.cfm

Quote:
One additional thought - the eye is a marvelous machine: it has its own brightness filter: the pupil. When the light is too bright, the pupil closes down. When it is dark, the pupil opens up. However, when we fool the eye with dark lenses, the pupil opens wide - allowing any hazardous radiation that the dark lenses do not filter to flood into the eye. A lighter colored shade allows the pupil to help protect the more delicate and sensitive structures of your eye.
Your doctor is one of those clowns who've taken the UV issue so far out of the real world of eye injury and are now using it to make extra money on every pair of glasses they sell. I'll bet you $5.00 he coats every single pair of glasses sold with UV protection. It's phoney baloney - it wears off usually within a couple of months and you are left with --nothing-- to "protect" your eyes from a phoney baloney so-called "UV hazard".

My suggestion to you would be to lose the sunglasses and get a pair of clear safety glasses, or try some light amber colored sunglasses instead. You want high visible light transmission, so that your pupil (one of the most amazing machines in the human body) can perform its usual and normal function, opening and closing in reaction to dark and light situations.

The only time people should wear dark sunglasses is when they have an existing problem with light sensitivity, either due to medication, injury, or bodily function. Don't wear dark sunglasses just because you think it's cool.

Last edited by MikeAurelius; 2005-12-28 at 11:53am.
Old 2005-12-28, 4:28pm

Mike--if I torch indoors I wear a light lens--nearly clear--it's only out in the driveway--in full sun that I'm wearing those dark glasses--I'm *really* light eyed--should I be out there with clear lenses? I am massively light sensitive (migraine prone)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies