Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-06-12, 12:32pm
reaction junkie

OK, incense test failed. The smoke just moseys up, sometimes it takes a detour outside of the hood. Turn it off and the whole room fills up with smoke, so it's doing SOME good.

You have to put your hand right up into the vent pipe, up inside the hood to feel the air.

Outside, I can feel the air gushing out of the fanbox, it's quite strong....

So what have I done wrong?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/
/

Last edited by BlueBetween; 2007-06-12 at 12:35pm.
Old 2007-06-12, 12:46pm
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBetween View Post
OK, incense test failed. The smoke just moseys up, sometimes it takes a detour outside of the hood. Turn it off and the whole room fills up with smoke, so it's doing SOME good.

You have to put your hand right up into the vent pipe, up inside the hood to feel the air.

Hi,

Your fan looks high to me. How high is it off of your work area? You can lower it to increase the draw and / or put baffles around 3 sides of your hood. My guess if you lower it you will be ok.

Nice studio!

Dawn

Old 2007-06-12, 12:48pm
reaction junkie

Ok, if I lower it and I put my hand under it, I still won't feel the air. I held the incense right under it and it still just wafted around.

I'll go measure though. BRB.

/
/
/
Old 2007-06-12, 12:52pm
reaction junkie

ok, the bottom of the hood is 24 inches off the table, just as Dale had said earlier. It's 18.5 inches away from the top of my torch. I can put the torch on a block to raise it too if that would help?

Even still, it just does not have much suction.

/
/
/
Old 2007-06-12, 1:00pm
Your Royal Fritness

Pam,

24" is right..... get some tin foil and baffle it around the back and down the 2 sides to your work area for a quick check to see if this will fix the problem.

My system is similar to yours just a bit bigger and it works well.

Dawn

PS. Your the one who got me looking for ideas other then a normal hood vent. I bought a feed trough at my local hardware store.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mustang Dawn; 2007-06-12 at 1:18pm. Reason: added to post
Old 2007-06-12, 1:56pm
reaction junkie

Dawn, how big is your vent pipe coming out of it? Mine is 8 inches and an engineer friend is here and she thinks it should be smaller.

/
/
/
Old 2007-06-12, 2:35pm
Your Royal Fritness

Pam, We went 6" from the hood to the fan and then went to 8" out of the house. I do believe you want 8" going out according to everything I have read. Did you try baffle the sides?

Here is the thread to my set up: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ht=feed+trough

Old 2007-06-12, 2:47pm
reaction junkie

I have 8 inches from hood to fan and then fan is directly venting outside. Perhaps it should be 6 inches from hood to fan instead. What a pain, it would mean I need to get a whole new tub.

I have not tried the baffles yet, have had company over for the past hour... will try tinfoil now, but I really have no hope - even if I stick my hand right up inside it, it hardly feels like it's pulling air.

/
/
/
Old 2007-06-12, 3:02pm
Your Royal Fritness

What size is the intake to your fan? Mine was 6" and then I went from 6" to 8" out of the house.

Old 2007-06-12, 3:05pm
reaction junkie

NO. I have these big sheets of plastic that I pulled from big picture frames - we use them as table protectors when we are painting - and I taped two of them up so they cover the back and sides - and no difference at all

/
/
/
Old 2007-06-12, 3:08pm
reaction junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Dawn View Post
What size is the intake to your fan? Mine was 6" and then I went from 6" to 8" out of the house.
Mine was 6 too, and Mike said to up it to 8 - I did that by cutting the hole in the vent cap and attaching that. So it goes hood, with a 8 inch hole and starter duct, then 8 inch 90 degree elbow, then about 25 inches or so of straight 8 inch vent pipe right to the fan and then the fan exhausts directly outside.

/
/
/

Last edited by BlueBetween; 2007-06-12 at 3:11pm.
Old 2007-06-12, 3:09pm
reaction junkie

and thank you for being here and trying to help so I'm not banging my head on my desk all by myself.

/
/
/
Old 2007-06-12, 3:50pm
Your Royal Fritness

I'm not being too much help! Your system should work. All I can think of is your fan is not pulling enough cfm's (defective fan?). I thought the baffles would fix it. Use your incense to see where you start to have good draw. If its just under the hood I bet it's the fan. Send Mike a PM. He is always a BIG help

Your Studio Rocks! I can't wait for the drywall to go up on mine....

Don't do too much head banging. This can and will be fixed

Dawn

Old 2007-06-13, 1:49pm
reaction junkie

OK! I just spoke to Grainger technician and HE thinks that 8 inch pipes are too big and that I need 6 inch or maybe even 4 inch to create the static pressure that would give me the cfms the fan is capable of.

So now what to do. I wonder if, since I have the hole in the wall... if I can somehow have a 6 inch pipe go up through my 8 inch pipe and the 8 inch will just be for show and to fill up the hole in my wall... sealing off the bottom in the hood and connecting to the fan... hmn.

Cripes... what to do now....

/
/
/
Old 2007-06-13, 2:37pm
Your Royal Fritness

Pam,

Your intake on the fan was 6" before your changed it to a 8" right? Change it back to a 6" on the intake side. Maybe adding the 2" at the intake messed up your draw?

Dawn

Old 2007-06-13, 2:43pm
reaction junkie

I don't know what kind of thing I would need that would connect to my fan other than the way I did it before. Do you have a picture how you connected your pipe to your fan?

/
/
/
Old 2007-06-13, 2:58pm
Your Royal Fritness

My fan came with the flange from Californiahydroponics. Here is the picture. I know your hole is 8" but, you could cut a 1" ring and incert it into the pipe. It's just a thought.

Dawn
Attached Images

Old 2007-06-13, 3:01pm
reaction junkie

oh - yours has a flange on it - mine doesn't. Hmn. Thank you for showing it.

Well... before I get too far... I'm going to have hubby open the fan box and see if somehow something didn't just come undone and is causing an air loss or something... though it's all screwed and taped, it shouldn't have.

Thanks again for trying to help

/
/
/
Old 2007-06-13, 3:15pm
Your Royal Fritness

That's why I went with the one I bought because it came with the flange and a plug. It's a good fan for the money ~ $95 for 800 CFM at http://www.marylandhydroponics.com/acshpoblexfa.html

I hope something just came loose inside and it is an easy tape/fix

Take care, Dawn

Old 2007-06-14, 4:02pm
reaction junkie

Dawn, you may have been right, only I didn't have the baffle going all the way to the table, which seems to make the difference.

It's not as elegant as before, but the smoke goes up instead of around and about. Though the smoke doesn't go up very quickly and I can't find out if it's supposed to or not.

I guess I'll just try it and see if I get a headache or not.

/
/
/
Old 2007-06-14, 5:50pm
Your Royal Fritness

Yes, baffles have to go down to the table . Also make sure your torch is UNDER your hood. I think your set up looks great and your Studio is TO DIE FOR!!! Great job

TTFN, Dawn

Old 2007-06-23, 12:31pm
Gravity is at 6 o'clock

Quote:
ok, so some know-it-all at my husband's work said the fan box (above) needs holes in it because the fan motor needs air.

Could anyone tell me if he's right? The only hole in the fan box is where the exhaust comes out.

Thanks!
i think it's more than the motor needing air- are you sure that the opening for the contaminated air to escape is as big as the fan opening on the inside? if it's smaller than the fan, as far as i know, you lower the capacity of your fan to suck air- if the motor can make the fan suck more air, but there's nowhere for the air to go to, it will suck as much air as there's room for it to escape, which might be lower than the motor/fan capacity.

if i'm not mistaken, the box opening should be as large as the fan for best results.

Quote:

i still think the problem is that the opening outside is not big enough, you have a big strong fan, so i don't think the only way to make it work right is to have the back part you installed- that says "uh oh" to me. especially since you said it only really worked well when you had it installed all the way down to the table- such a big and strong fan shouldn't need so much help to get the air in. if anything, i think it's needing help to get the air out!

i love how your studio is looking! i wish i could build something like that too... it's beautiful!!!

I
NY
Old 2007-06-23, 1:20pm
reaction junkie

thank you - that is a good idea - but the hole is exactly the same size as the fan's exhaust hole - not bigger or smaller.

I really think it's partly the washtub shape (oval) and that it doesn't sit up against the wall... and I still wonder if the fan is strong enough.

But it IS working fine with the baffle - I made some stinky frit beads the other day and they were not stinky at all (as compared to my old studio). So... so far it seems fine, if not what I had planned.

/
/
/