Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2015-04-15, 8:43pm

Default Prescription Safety Glasses

Hi, I wish to purchase prescription safety glasses. I use a minor and soft glass. I live in Australia. Where can I purchase them. The local OPSM optometrist office say that they can try to get me the correct lens if I tell them what I need but I don't know what exactly to tell them. They were trying to tell me sunglasses would work with their UV coating. Don't think that is right. I only need them for up close. Tired of trying to wear 2 pairs of glasses. Any recommendations appreciated.
Old 2015-04-16, 10:48am
Phill

For the costs involved with getting Didymium or A.C.E. lenses ( ACE is by the Phillips Company) I would recommend getting one of the blast shields either with a base for setting on the bench or a torch mounted unit.

I just picked up a used one with a base and I have to tell you it is a whole different way of melting glass.
You can even see what colors you are working with and just how much glow is left in the glass by simply moving it to the side of the shield.

The cost is probably going to be the same if not less and you will not have to get another expensive pair of glasses if your eye sight changes in a dozen years.

But to answer your question directly, ACE by Phillips is going to be one of your search terms to hunt them up or to have your eye doctor do the hunting. t
There is another place called Aura Lens I think but I am not sure if they are still in business.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2015-05-31 at 6:43pm.
Old 2015-04-17, 7:49am
kinda torching....

Auralense.net will be having a 20% off sale on April 20th aka 4/20

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-04-17, 7:49am
kinda torching....

Auralens.net

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-04-19, 10:04pm

Thank you! Phil I can do the sheild. I tried it once but I cant do it. But you did get me thinking perhaps I should just get readers not prescription mono glasses for the resale value? Decisions decisions.. Any ideas people?
Old 2015-05-31, 11:28am

I have a high prescription and what works best for me (and the missus) is clip-on, flip up Ace 202 lenses.

They come a little big, but a dremmell can cut them down to be close to the shape of your specs.

My next purchase will be the spring loaded, non-flip up, 202 clip ons.
They look much lighter weight.
Old 2015-06-01, 8:27am

Default RX Glasses

I had ordered a pair from Phillips but had problems with the Rx from the get go. I have a stigmatism as well as being near sided. When I rec'd them - they were so heavy that I couldn't keep them on my face. They seemed to be very distorted but nevertheless they worked with me.

I worked with a lady named MaryAnn and she was wonderful! I ended up getting a pair of clip-on's that I love. I wear my glasses 24/7 so this was an excellent alternative.

Now I'm thinkin I need one of those big blast shields!!!