Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-10-12, 4:01pm

Default cleaning jets on torch

I would like to clean the jets on my GTT torch; what and how should I clean?
Old 2011-10-12, 4:34pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

In my experience the tiny little ports are very difficult to clean by the end user. I sent mine in to have it cleaned. I didn't even have a wire on my torch cleaning card that would go in. Great torches, I didn't mind the hassle as the performance was awesome. I just felt it was cheaper to let them clean it rather than have them repair it after I messed it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2011-10-12, 6:53pm
geekitude on two wheels

You should have gotten some cleaning wire and a little brush with your torch if you bought it new. If not, you can get a cleaning kit from GTT for 25$ or so. Turn on your oxy and run the wire down the ports; it should go all the way down the barrel. I give the wire a little wiggle when it's all the way in there, as sometimes something gets in the outer ring of the port. Brush the face off with the little brush if you want.
Old 2011-10-12, 7:32pm
Unmedicated since '62

try just tapping it gently with a tool while its on, that usually dislodges any carbon build up, you'll see it come out as sparks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-10-12, 8:29pm

I do mine with the cleaning wires and brush that came with the torch every couple of weeks.
Old 2011-10-13, 12:19am

I called GTT and they sent me the cleaning wires for my Scorpion. I clean it after every torching session.

Old 2011-10-13, 9:27am
Curmudgeon Engineering

The GTT torches have a central hole that you clean with the wire supplied with new torches. To clean the circular 'ring' holes cut a 1/8" wide piece of .003" shim stock or a strip of a pop can about 4" long. Carefully shape this strip around a toothpick so you have a trough shaped piece, sort of like a half of a straw. Very carefully insert this into the ring shaped opening and wiggle it around. With the oxy on. Switch connectors or jury rig your oxy to the propane side and do those ports. TAKE CARE that if you feel any stubborn resistance that you STOP. You do not want to break off or lodge the strip in the hole. I ran this method by Willy/Wally some years ago with their approval.

BTW - If you carefully follow the operation instructions your torch should never carbon up nor should the face discolor except very minorly(word??).