LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-09-19, 9:37am

Default Lentil Press market research-HELP!

Hello to all fellow lampwork artists. My name is Melissa of Inner Realm Creations and I need your expertise and advice.

After spending the last several weeks trying to find the "perfect press" to purchase and having my own pitty party that I can not afford them..IT HIT ME!

A good friend of my husbands is a master machinist. In fact he machines parts for NASA. I have spoke with him in great detail and between his expertise, my artistic side and my DH the enigineer, we feel we could produce some very nice presses.

With this I have two main dilemas..One being that I do NOT want to step on anyone's toes in the lampwork world. Although I have a few different shapes to try and the "men" have different functionality ideas...I would rather not continue with this venture if it meant that I may be percieved as a copy cat. .trying to steal other's ideas, being that the first shape we will machine would most likely be a lentil. If this would be the case, I would rather keep trucking along trying to focus only on improving my lampwork quality.

The second dilema is..I need YOU! I was hoping to offer about 10-20 of our first presses to fellow lampworkers at cost. This would help me decide if we have a quality, user friendly product. It would allow you to recieve a quality press at a fraction of it's value and it will help me get the word out that these are a great buy.

At this point this is just an idea and although we have checked into the cost involved, I would rather have your opinions before I continue on. Any advice, opinions or questions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Melissa V.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-09-19, 9:48am
Fire Borne

I say go for it! I do feel a certain loyalty to a couple of press makers and love their products even if they do "work" in different ways. I think their products and service are excellent and will continue to support them. But if you were to come up with a shape that neither of them had and I would like, I would try yours. I am not a tool maven and don't feel the need to have every new thing that comes out. So maybe I am not the person who should give you any advice. If I were you tho', I would try to come out with an initial design that wasn't already out there unless the way the tool is used is different. Does that make sense?

pat (who should be trying out some new presses she received today!)
Old 2005-09-19, 10:01am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I agree with Pat here, go for it. I'm always in for something new

Suzanne

ps... do you think NIKE contacts ADIDAS when they come out with a new sportshoe? Its all business, and as long as you are not copying the whole design, I think you are quite alright, just stay true to yourself and think of new things

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-09-19, 10:09am
3 bubbles left of level

I completely agree with Pat and Suzanne. I think we all have our "favorite" presses and press makers, but (speaking for myself only here) any "new" thing is a good thing. I have dozens of presses that I use about half the time when making beads....sometimes the beads just want to be round. I am always in the market for something new. I agree though that you should probably not "copy" exactly something that is already out there...although I guess that might be pretty hard to do since the basic design concept is already on the market. Different shapes, however, GO FOR IT!!! I would be more than happy to buy a new press (even a lentil press), give it a try for you, and tell you exactly what I think of it. Beware though...I can be brutally honest...if you ask me to be. I do prefer the presses that do NOT require any kind of base or holder, however. I think my $100 is better spent on other presses or glass. Keep us posted.

There is no spoon.

Last edited by Baird Beads; 2005-09-19 at 10:11am. Reason: Operator error
Old 2005-09-19, 10:19am

I agree too, go for it. If I could get someone to make them for much less, I would, believe me. I would like to try your presses too, cuz I can't afford to buy a bunch myself. So keep me on your list.

Thanks,

Old 2005-09-19, 10:22am
On A Lampwork Hiatus

I definitely say go for it! I would definitely like to see more unique shapes..
Old 2005-09-19, 10:49am

I don't think you can ever have too many choices!!!!!! DO IT!!!!
Kim
Old 2005-09-19, 10:49am
Cheeky & Impervious

Me, too! I say go forth and make presses!! In all seriousness, I think it would be great to get some really cool new shapes out there. I think it's a fabulous idea!! Keep me posted...

Old 2005-09-19, 11:11am
sunscreen me baby

I think if you haven't an investment to make you can certainly give it a shot. But, remember there are two serious, customer concious and very good bead press makers out there. Ask yourself what you can offer that they don't?
Or if you don't really want to start a business then ask yourself if it is worth it to spend all the time and energy making your own press when you can probably get one of the other press makers to make what you want as a special order.

~

Old 2005-09-19, 11:42am

I think there are plenty of us that are glass tool addicts that like to have all the presses, tools, etc. just to HAVE them. Call us (me.... heh heh) collectors, of sorts.

.....if you supply them, we will come......

Old 2005-09-19, 11:50am
Cheerfully Profane

Do it!!! I am all for new stuff. And put me on the list to try it. I need something new anyway, lol.

Rebekah
Old 2005-09-19, 11:53am
Glass Addict!

The basic concept of a press to form glass to a meat ball has been around for eons!!!
No one has a corner on the market.
Go for it!
This is the USA...Free enterprise!
I would love to experiment.
Diana

Old 2005-09-19, 12:04pm

You are all so inspiring!! THANK YOU!! I plan to meet with the machinist next week sometime. I hope it won't take too long to get the ball rolling..or the presses pressing..lol.
I will keep you all informed when I have some for you to try. Again..
THANK YOU ,THANK YOU, THANK YOU! LE has the greatest group of artists..ANYWHERE!
Yippee!
Keep the advice flowing.

Melissa, IRC

Old 2005-09-19, 2:38pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

I would think the only word of caution would be to safeguard your ultimate design and the intellectual property component - that means make the time to set up a business (it costs a couple of hundred dollars for a LLC) and KEEP EXACT BOOKS from this day forward - all your inventory, phone calls, mileage, supplies, shipping, advertising etc - having a solid business plan and knowing what a business entails is what will help you succeed faster. I say this from the perspective of having my own nurse consulting business.

As for your press "tryers" - if you are still adding to the list, I'd be pleased as punch to help out!

Best of luck with your new venture!

Old 2005-09-19, 2:59pm
Crazy tool making guy....

Speaking as a toolmaker myself, I think that if you don't bring something different to market, I don't think it's worth it. It should be cheaper, easier to use, easier to buy, or allow you to do something that you can't do with other's tools.

My two cents.

-Jeff
Old 2005-09-19, 4:46pm
Administrator

I am moving this to tips and techniques section since unless I am missing something, there is nothing for sale yet?

Old 2005-09-19, 4:57pm

I am interested if it is different than whats out there!

Lynnie

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2005-09-19, 5:02pm
Type ZZZ personality

I say go for it. A little competition never hurt anyone. Hopefully it will raise the level of quality overall.

I would also be interested in being a beta-tester for you!

Let us know what you decide!

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2005-09-20, 11:34am
lov'in life!!!

I say go for it too! There's not THAT many press makers and you'll probably come up with a bunch of different shapes and sizes. Good luck I'd be happy to test any out also.

The past is history...the future is a mystery...today is a gift...that's why
we call it the "Present".

Old 2005-09-20, 12:25pm
Metallic Flame Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissabeads
Hello to all fellow lampwork artists. My name is Melissa of Inner Realm Creations and I need your expertise and advice.

After spending the last several weeks trying to find the "perfect press" to purchase and having my own pitty party that I can not afford them..IT HIT ME!

A good friend of my husbands is a master machinist. In fact he machines parts for NASA. I have spoke with him in great detail and between his expertise, my artistic side and my DH the enigineer, we feel we could produce some very nice presses.

With this I have two main dilemas..One being that I do NOT want to step on anyone's toes in the lampwork world. Although I have a few different shapes to try and the "men" have different functionality ideas...I would rather not continue with this venture if it meant that I may be percieved as a copy cat. .trying to steal other's ideas, being that the first shape we will machine would most likely be a lentil. If this would be the case, I would rather keep trucking along trying to focus only on improving my lampwork quality.

The second dilema is..I need YOU! I was hoping to offer about 10-20 of our first presses to fellow lampworkers at cost. This would help me decide if we have a quality, user friendly product. It would allow you to recieve a quality press at a fraction of it's value and it will help me get the word out that these are a great buy.

At this point this is just an idea and although we have checked into the cost involved, I would rather have your opinions before I continue on. Any advice, opinions or questions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Melissa V.
Melissa,

I have presses from both Amy and Catt and both of them know I love each of those presses for EQUAL reasons, none to "favor" or damage the other seller!

I say go ahead as your creative ideas will feed the market just like theirs have and you would have maybe new and exciting shapes which they don't have. Although they are both CreativeButts and come up with lots of fun stuff constantly!!! LOL

(***** ps. I'd love to be a "tester" too!!! PM me if possible!!!)

Stacy

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2005-09-20, 1:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspirationToolworks
Speaking as a toolmaker myself, I think that if you don't bring something different to market, I don't think it's worth it. It should be cheaper, easier to use, easier to buy, or allow you to do something that you can't do with other's tools.

My two cents.

-Jeff
This is perfect; the reply above is what I was going to reply and say basically.

I think you will have to offer many of the existing shapes and more importantly you will have to offer new and different shapes. I think it will be important to add new shapes not because of copying, but because many glass artists already have many lentils and other existing shapes so the market is already small on existing shapes.

I would not buy a shape I already had unless you made a it easier to use, allow me to do something different then other presses like already stated by Inspiration Toolworks. I also think that if you can sell your tools at a lower price would go along way to helping you be successful.
Old 2005-10-13, 12:54am

go for it. free enterprise.. you might just create the perfect shape in a press that everyone will want to have...think in color too. set yourself apart from the rest. Maybe a pink handle with proceeds to susan komen or something. I want to be a tester.. let me know. love experimenting with new things.
Old 2005-10-13, 4:03am

How about some larger sizes? I do own the jumbo press from Catt, maybe something a little smaller? I like to make large hollows and how about something to help me gently "shape" them instead of squashing them all flat? I know, practice and adapt and be flexible but, just think, maybe you will come out with the "perfect" thing for what I like to do! I think I'd shell out $$$ for that! I'd love to test one (or more, I'm greedy too! LOL) for you, just let me know!
Old 2005-10-13, 5:37am
one day at a time

How about this for you to think about too?

I would really like to see a BBQ masher with brass pads instead of the stainless steel. Think - brass is supposed to be better for raku!

I would also like to see BBQ mashers in different shapes, like ones that have a curve to make flattened but rounded shapes. People have a tendency to forget how wonderful the traditional mashers can be, although I do love the press idea too.

I had sold all mine because I needed the $$$, but I sure will buy them all back later! I can't wait for that day!
Old 2005-10-13, 7:00am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

While it may be down the road...you might want to consider offering "custom design shapes" based on buyers request with the business option of adding it to your line of merchandise!

Old 2005-10-13, 8:32am

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefaniBeads
How about this for you to think about too?

I would really like to see a BBQ masher with brass pads instead of the stainless steel. Think - brass is supposed to be better for raku!

I would also like to see BBQ mashers in different shapes, like ones that have a curve to make flattened but rounded shapes. People have a tendency to forget how wonderful the traditional mashers can be, although I do love the press idea too.

I had sold all mine because I needed the $$$, but I sure will buy them all back later! I can't wait for that day!

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!! Brass mashers would be cool!
Old 2005-10-13, 11:16am

My observation would be, that someone making parts for nasa might find it hard to make the same amount of money from lampwork tools. Depending on what parts they are making for nasa that is. Nasa has high standards and pays for the high standards. Unless of course, this machinist is only making very simple parts.
Old 2005-10-15, 3:40pm

Thank you all for you replies and advice. I am still in the process of getting this underway..however, as I am sure you all know life is too busy! Also, the man that has so graciously offered to help with this is a good friend and he will never come close to making the kind of money he does for NASA. He is one of those guys that never sleeps and goes out of his way for friends and family. This is also the reason that it is taking awhile to get this going. My "project" definetly takes a back seat to his "real" job. I also doubt that I will turn this into a highly competitive business like the other great press makers. This is more for my friends,fellow lampwork artists and I's own personal use and to offer a press a little different at a little lower price. We will see where it goes from there.

Hey..Thanks Again everyone. I have kept all of your names that want to test. I will let you know when we get them!!

Melissa, Inner Realm Creations, llc.

Old 2005-10-16, 6:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissabeads

I also doubt that I will turn this into a highly competitive business like the other great press makers. This is more for my friends,fellow lampwork artists and I's own personal use and to offer a press a little different at a little lower price.
Melissa, Inner Realm Creations, llc.

Why not? If he goes to all the trouble to get you set up, you have a good product that we all "must" have, why not make a few dollars for your troubles? We all understand business. We don't like to be taken advantage of and of course we'd all rather get the stuff for free but we understand that what you charge us will be what you have to charge us.
Old 2005-10-16, 9:04am

I would love to see a press at a more reasonable price. I don't own any because they are so expensive and I have seen so many for sale "only used once or twice". I can't spend that kind of money on something I'm gonna use twice. Also everytime I think I have talked myself into making the investment, Glass starts talking to me and thats what I go home with.