Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-04-26, 9:24am
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGGEDCHEVYS View Post
Oh also mr hangswell i heard that Vertigo guy is a real asshole.....
Yeah, that's what I've heard. What you up to on Monday? Good day to come out? I have to make another 97 spoons this weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-04-26, 10:32am
Progression in progress

Location: please ask for where i live to send items thank you

I have to say pipe making isnt the funnest or safest but it is the perfect way to start learning with tubing if you ask me. It takes alot of skill and patience to be able to really master them. If you can do that well working with tubing for anything should just come natural. Also is there anyone in kansas? Ive been trying to find some place that i could go to watch someone more experienced.
Old 2012-04-26, 10:50am

for me it is the opposite, I have been making goblets,perfume bottles,whistles(which where mistaken for crack pipes) and now working on wine thieves for a wine maker friend of mine, so looking on my bench at the various stages of work with my tubing, i'm like gee if I just put the parts together like this wallah, which is what prompted my question in the first place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#C-151
Old 2012-04-26, 3:48pm

nothing wrong with making pipes Morgan there really isnt the stigma involved that there once was. When you have some of the biggest glassblowers in the world crossing over to not only boro but the pipe world Its a sign that times are changing. I am glad I make pipes and i openly tell people what I do. Mind you what happened in operation pipe dream was not only a while ago but also targeted larger distros and warehouses they didnt go after every pipe maker in their grage although alot of us thought they were. I would rather be involved in making history and converting this industry from something so dark and taboo to something generally acceptable by the main stream. When you start seeing spots on the tennis channel about traveling to vermont for the tennis and to Go see the Bern gallery and they openly show its a pipe shop you know things are evolving.

For those of you that havent seen Mr. Slingers movie Degenerate Art. Please find a way to do so at a local event or once it becomes available to the public. Right now he is doing showing at all the major events and I dont care who you are its a breath taking piece of art in its own right and only made me even more proud to be a part of this way of life and this culture.

As far as the Local bead snobs that are on this board that turn their nose up at Pipes and do everything they can to keep them off here. esp anyone that makes boro beads, YOU wouldnt have any of the boro color or 90% of the techs you "find inspiration from" if it wasnt for us pipe makers. pipes drive the boro world not beads not " art" PIPES so show a little respect and an open mind to those that paved a way for what you have twisted and now profit off of.
Old 2012-04-26, 3:52pm

Here is a step by step photo tut ( no words) that i put together quickly the pics are in reverse order so yeah......http://s625.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/Spoon%20tut/

Old 2012-04-26, 3:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangs Well View Post
Yeah, that's what I've heard. What you up to on Monday? Good day to come out? I have to make another 97 spoons this weekend.
Call me sunday and i will let you know buddy. IM knee deep in orders right now but i can set aside some time for you my friend
Old 2012-04-26, 4:57pm
Enjoying Life

Hey Baggedchevys,

Didn't you make a video? Thought I remeber seeing that.

Call you on Sunday. FYI: Demoing on 5/5 at PAG.

Old 2012-04-26, 5:05pm

derp derp forgot about that as well....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYhZbAIIVkg
Old 2012-04-26, 5:23pm
Progression in progress

Quote:
nothing wrong with making pipes Morgan there really isnt the stigma involved that there once was. When you have some of the biggest glassblowers in the world crossing over to not only boro but the pipe world Its a sign that times are changing. I am glad I make pipes and i openly tell people what I do. Mind you what happened in operation pipe dream was not only a while ago but also targeted larger distros and warehouses they didnt go after every pipe maker in their grage although alot of us thought they were. I would rather be involved in making history and converting this industry from something so dark and taboo to something generally acceptable by the main stream. When you start seeing spots on the tennis channel about traveling to vermont for the tennis and to Go see the Bern gallery and they openly show its a pipe shop you know things are evolving.

For those of you that havent seen Mr. Slingers movie Degenerate Art. Please find a way to do so at a local event or once it becomes available to the public. Right now he is doing showing at all the major events and I dont care who you are its a breath taking piece of art in its own right and only made me even more proud to be a part of this way of life and this culture.

As far as the Local bead snobs that are on this board that turn their nose up at Pipes and do everything they can to keep them off here. esp anyone that makes boro beads, YOU wouldnt have any of the boro color or 90% of the techs you "find inspiration from" if it wasnt for us pipe makers. pipes drive the boro world not beads not " art" PIPES so show a little respect and an open mind to those that paved a way for what you have twisted and now profit off of.
Id have to agree with that. Ive never actually never made a boro bead in my life.

I think i finally got a nice blow in and another pretty color looking one too
Old 2012-04-26, 5:37pm

Well put Bagged. Thanks for the info you put out.

Ironically, I just got my first bead release. I'll try it out in the near future. I think it will be a nice change to make some basic beads.
Old 2012-04-26, 6:18pm

So Bagged, is your bowl push a 1/2" stub out?
Old 2012-04-26, 6:25pm

yes 1/2 inch copper stub out from Lowes 49 cents had it for 6 years take some 600 grit to it wet then use bees wax on it bingo bango life long bowl push
Old 2012-04-26, 6:36pm

I am not particularly worried about stigma not when flow magazine freatures pipes and pipe artist for me I am a volunteer hunter ed insructor and in order to keep doing that I need a sqeeky clean record so I just worry about being arrested by someone making a name for themselves "cleaning up"
god knows the feds are comming down really hard on the legal med clinics here.
and I am totally greatfull on the pipe artists driving the skill sets and boro colors
Quote:

#C-151
Old 2012-04-26, 8:00pm
Progression in progress

Quote:
yes 1/2 inch copper stub out from Lowes 49 cents had it for 6 years take some 600 grit to it wet then use bees wax on it bingo bango life long bowl push
That sounds pretty awesome if you ask me. Wish i would of thought of that. Lol

Last edited by James Lewis; 2012-04-26 at 9:13pm.
Old 2012-04-26, 9:32pm

You're a bagenious Bagged. I'm a licensed plumber and I didn't think about that.
Old 2012-04-27, 2:55am
Serenity Now!

From Wikipedia "The estimated cost of Operation Pipe Dreams was over $12 Million and included the resources of 2,000 law enforcement officers".

What. A. Waste. Of. Time. And. Money.

Thank you pipe-makers - for leading the way, and opening up a World of possibilities.

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2012-04-27, 8:23am

The only down side to the copper stub out is it cunducts heat. So back when i was in high production making spoons i would have to dunk it in a bowl of water every few pieces or it was too hot to hold. I really think it makes a great bowl push as far as the shape goes and is locally avail for everyone as well as economical. If someone wanted they could put some kind of fancy wooden handle on it.
Old 2012-04-27, 10:33am

wrap the end in tape, was was using a stainless steel rod inside tubbing for awhile when I first was trying to figure out my knife handles and I just wrapped the crap out of the end with masking tape worked great to insulate the heat from my hand

#C-151
Old 2012-04-27, 10:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the Moon View Post
From Wikipedia "The estimated cost of Operation Pipe Dreams was over $12 Million and included the resources of 2,000 law enforcement officers".

What. A. Waste. Of. Time. And. Money.

Thank you pipe-makers - for leading the way, and opening up a World of possibilities.
that just makes you sick to think of all that waste in tax money, how about we concentrate on some real criminals

#C-151
Old 2012-04-27, 11:10am
Progression in progress

[quote=Over the Moon;3978774]From Wikipedia "The estimated cost of Operation Pipe Dreams was over $12 Million and included the resources of 2,000 law enforcement officers".

No shit they waste all of that money for that and little petty shit and then wonder way our economy is going is going down the drain hell they should be encourageing pipemaking
Old 2012-04-27, 2:33pm

I know makes one hell of a tax revenue for them
so this is why I was asking about pipes it would be so easy to make this as a pipe instead of a wine thief.

#C-151

Last edited by Baywinger; 2012-04-27 at 3:18pm.
Old 2012-04-28, 6:23am
Progression in progress

Pretty easily or atleast make a small bowl. (Ha got it right this time) how does a wine theif work exactly anyways? Doesnt it suck it up the tube even though its capped at the end? Something to with physics but which law?
Old 2012-04-28, 7:35am

both ends have a small hole, you stick the thief in the barrel of wine then place your thumb ober the top whole, that hold in the wine.

#C-151
Old 2012-04-28, 7:57am
Progression in progress

Ah i see thats simple enough
Old 2012-04-28, 11:55am
Progression in progress

I wonder how the first boro glass pipe was made and how it looked what tools did they use to make
Old 2012-04-28, 12:02pm
Now part of the Dark Side

Well, back in '78 I had a Boro bong that was basically a 16 oz boro water glass with a hole for a stopper and one for the carb. The single hit bowl was juast a piece of 8mm boro tubing flared at one end and the larger bowl was 8mm tubing with a 15mm cup. Back then pipes were made of wood or stainless.
Old 2012-04-28, 4:29pm
Progression in progress

Name:  E2012-04-28_18-24-05_4-1.jpg
Views: 2608
Size:  18.5 KB

Name:  R2012-04-28_18-22-53_709-1.jpg
Views: 2673
Size:  22.9 KB

Some pieces ive been working on the top is a blow in and the bottom i made piece by piece down the tubing
Old 2012-04-28, 9:00pm

Mr Bob Snodgrass is the godfather of the traditional color changing pipe. He was the first fuming and him and a hand full of others are to " blame" lol for all of this that we pipe makers do. He is a wonderful man If you ever get a chance to meet and talk with him i suggest you do, he is a very humble man with a very large heart. James I hope that sometime you can pool the funds together to either make it to AGI or the DFO they both would be eye openers for you esp AGI. I think alot of your questions would be answered at either show.
Old 2012-04-28, 9:22pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baywinger View Post
I know makes one hell of a tax revenue for them
so this is why I was asking about pipes it would be so easy to make this as a pipe instead of a wine thief.
I've never seen anything like that, how cool! Beautiful and functional.

Old 2012-04-28, 9:34pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
derp derp forgot about that as well....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYhZbAIIVkg
Thanks for posting this. I love to watch boro tubing work. Stevie Wonder too, win/win, lol.

I found an old (1970's) book with Suellen Fowler doing tubing beads and using a file over a tuna can with a notch cut into it to cut tubing. She was using clear tubing and those big hunks of cobalt glass like the Disneyland LW's used to keep to do eye dots, etc. Early boro work was so exploratory. Truly a new frontier. I haven't finished reading it yet, there's some old school LW tuts in it as well, I was stoked to find it just because it's like having a piece of history.

OK, I'll go back to lurking in here now.

Tags
boro, don't say b*ng omg!, duh, it's in the boro room