Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-08-27, 9:14pm
Bead semi-newbie

All i can say to the boro addicts out there is "put down the glass and step away from the torch" I "got it bad" myself and finally in the high Sierra's it is now boro weather, yay.
LOVE silver glass
Old 2012-08-28, 7:31pm

Hi I'm John and I'm a boro addict, its been 2 days since my last fix and I have this need twitch.... burning in my soul to.put on didimium glasses everywhere I go...ahh the brown Santa showed up today with some butterscotch candy. ...I mean frit...and turquesa fruit ...must I wait till Friday...sigh
Old 2012-08-28, 9:00pm
Progression in progress

Location: please ask for where i live to send items thank you

Its not that bad it will just drive you insane and insanity isnt that bad is it?
Old 2012-08-29, 3:39am

james you're still not up and running yet??? my condolences.

this thread has gotten good. i never knew so many were addicted. it's an epidemic. worse the meth and heroin (and i know too much about the latter).
Old 2012-08-29, 4:07am
Progression in progress

The shed is suppose to be cleared out this friday. Which will give me a 4ride day weekend get setup and play.
Old 2012-08-29, 5:07am

nice.
Old 2012-08-29, 6:07am

Hello, my name is Gary. I am an addict. My clean date is in the future. I've been fixing up regularly lately. In fact, I'm still sweaty from my last fix. I have to hide my "problem" (from the heat), so I only use at night for now. This is different than past addictions. The more I use, the more money I have. My "dealer" is even willing to give me more product, all I have to do is take him the remains of what I used. McGruff (who held it together when a kid found a bag full of pills, needles, and herbs in a park), would probably puke if he were still around. Then there are my neighbors. They see me still using while they are getting up and going to work. What can they possibly think about me? Just sitting there, staring at one of the worlds most expensive bug zappers. Zoned out to the max. Something has to give (with the heat). Why can't I live out in public, during the day, like a respectable human? I'm drinking a beer as I type this. I feel like I should be ashamed, but sadly I'm not. Where is this eternal spring I hear of? It doesn't sound like I would be judged there...

For real, I do wonder what my neighbors think. I work from about ten or eleven (whenever my wife goes to bed) until it's time for breakfast. There are windows in my garage, so when people drive by they see me ragging in there.

Last edited by Jngljnke; 2012-08-29 at 6:09am. Reason: I am an idiot.
Old 2012-08-29, 10:42am
Progression in progress

They probably think your making bombs lol
Old 2012-08-29, 10:48am

I wish I was making "the bomb". Is that close?
Old 2012-08-29, 1:51pm
Progression in progress

You are making the bomb to take use to the promised land. It will tear a hole in the fabric of this world and we will travel through it to our kingdom of boro.

I really need to start writing some of this awesome crazy down lol.
Old 2012-08-29, 2:03pm
...displaced ocean lover

Default Most addicts trade in one addiction for another.

I too, am Bi-Curious...
or maybe it's Tri-Curious?
33-96-104

The way I look at it, melting glass keeps me from becoming a raging alcoholic. Face it, I can't drink while torching or I'd catch on fire...so the more I torch the better off my liver is.

I guess you could say I do it for my health.
(I'll drink to that!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieGlass View Post
I'm multi-glassual. I'll gladly reach for the boro first ... but I like my fix of soft silvered glass, frit play with 96 and florals with BE.

I had to ration myself though ... I do get ocd on any one type of glass frequently. Boro implosions being my absolute worst addiction ... oooo that's need ... what if I add a little bit of this color.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-08-30, 10:02am

boro-curious?
Old 2012-08-30, 10:39am
...displaced ocean lover

There ya go!
I need to get my O2 hooked up so I can get my boro going!
James, I feel your pain!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-08-30, 4:58pm

fwiw, i killed an o2 tank today. idk the size...one size down from K tank....150cf i think. tomorrow i'm going for a K. if i kill that quick, i'll go the next size up from k and have it delivered.
holy crap that went quick though....7 spoon pipes two marbles and a shitload of stringer/cane but still. one day?
Old 2012-08-30, 9:51pm
Progression in progress

I got it i finally got my FIX!!!!!! The studio is up and running my head is still spinning from the fix i made a coilpot spoon (probably the best coil anything ive ever made. I made my first tube implosion (which didnt turn out half bad) a heart for my girlfriend (she gives me more inspiration then she thinks). And a little goblet with a clear coilpoted stem and a shit base. But all in all i did better then i thought i would reading all the posts and threads really paid off im still in shock *shakes alittle* but i couldnt be happier will be posting pics tomorrow.
Old 2012-08-31, 2:50am
Now part of the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
fwiw, i killed an o2 tank today. idk the size...one size down from K tank....150cf i think. tomorrow i'm going for a K. if i kill that quick, i'll go the next size up from k and have it delivered.
holy crap that went quick though....7 spoon pipes two marbles and a shitload of stringer/cane but still. one day?
I get about 8-12 hours on a 124 CuFt tank with my Bravo and a foot pedal when working boro, soft glass is more like 12-16 hours. When I was running my Nortel Rocket it was more like 6-8 hours.
Old 2012-08-31, 3:09am

yea i'm running a midrange/premix. i was using the mid for most of my stringer work yesterday, so that is one thing. the premix is SO much more economical to run. today i'm going for either a K or a T, probably a T tank if i can get help loading it. then again airgas will deliver for $28, so for a T tank that might be worth it.
Old 2012-08-31, 9:12am
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

My name is Barbara and I am a glass addict. It's been a month since I've been able to light the toch and over a YEAR since I've touched my Boro. I think it's the fact that they keep tightening the straight jacket. *S*

I live on 10 acres and I"ve tried to grow those clear rods in the back pasture. Nothing but grass & weeds. I must have the wrong fertilizer.

So when the commune is a go, there is plenty of tent space and torch room (BYO) and a few hook ups for those who can afford it.

Someone, please rescue me!!!

Oh nooo! The've found me again! Help!!!
Old 2012-08-31, 9:28am
...displaced ocean lover

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-08-31, 10:46am
Progression in progress

The commune is free you just have to prove your addiction.

Last edited by James Lewis; 2012-08-31 at 6:40pm. Reason: The I inbetween the and commune sorry.
Old 2012-08-31, 12:52pm

aaarrrrgggh! i haven't had my fix today yet, starting to shake and get nervous. airgas just showed up....three hours late. can't torch until 5pm...too many things to do.
Old 2012-08-31, 2:19pm
...displaced ocean lover

Do you addicts use quick connects?

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-08-31, 2:38pm

i wish!
Old 2012-09-01, 10:55am
Oh my!

I love it here. I am among those who understand.
Old 2012-09-01, 3:26pm
Progression in progress

Ya try explaining it to my girlfriend. Shes mad now because im spending so much time in the new studio. Not just doing glass but trying to make it look better and function more like a studio. Rather then it look like just someones shed that have random bs in.
Old 2012-09-01, 11:21pm

Default Living with it?

Funny, funny Forum. Folks popping out of closets all over the place.
Some of us are coming clean, and owning up to the addiction. I'm not quite ready to admit it yet. Yeah, probably denial.

But, are you guys like cat hoarders? Cats in, lots more cats in? No cats out??

So, is there a steady stream of boro into your place, but none of it ever leaves?? I can see that would be a problem for your wallet and your 'housekeeping!"

If there is a fast running stream of well finished boro pieces OUT of your place, and a goodly stream of $$$$ coming back in (to pay for more boro of course) then what is the problem? Whatever you are doing is supporting your 'habit' and you don't have to go mugging people to pay for it.

Just lie back and enjoy the heat.

KMD
Old 2012-09-02, 1:03am

yea i've got a build up of practice pipes i can't get rid of. not really nice enough to sell, not crappy enough to throw away. maybe i'll make it the $5 pile.

cats....yes i've got three cats...would get three more if i had the time for them.

so glad i started this thread, it's shown me i'm not alone.
Old 2012-09-04, 9:07am
Oh my!

You are sooooo not alone. I have glass and more than a few cats.
Old 2012-09-04, 11:32am
Progression in progress

I have one cat and gf more then enough for me
Old 2012-09-04, 8:27pm

My name is Troyd (last five letters of my last name) and I have been a boro addict for 3 almost 4 years. Though I actually only have 10 months or so clocked torch time. I learned to make pipes when a shop owner couldn't bring himself to make the production stuff and I was tired of giving excuses to customers. I love working with frit and making sculptors. Pipes sell and easily provide the means to continue working so I make them. I sell 'em on Disc golf courses, HA! Super happy to have found this site and I owe a huge thank you to all who have done tuts. My hat is off to you. Maybe one day I will be able to teach you a thing or two.

Carlisle on Tanks/Scorpion on Oxy-con