No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-04-25, 11:34pm
Slogan Challenged...

Default So, I turn the kiln on....

So I turn the kiln on and leave the room for about half an hour. My DH was right in the next room, so all was good.

Except for smoke. He said he saw flames along the bottom. He unplugged it and the smell of burning plastic is unmistakeable!

I had put one of my little plastic bins full of beads into the kiln...we are currently airing out the room and I haven't had a chance for a good look yet.

Here's hoping that the beads can be salvaged....etched? And the kiln floor?!! It's a brick lined kiln, has anyone ever done this and tried to fix it?

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2014-04-26, 1:32am
Alaska Boro

Guess that it is always a good idea to open the kiln for a look prior to applying power!

On this end, use a ceramic fiber blanket on the bottom of the kiln just in case something would melt. Place beads, marbles, etc directly on the fiber blanket and anneal at 1050 F. Had not had any issues and the blanket is excellent protection for the IFB floor.

Plastic boxes have a low melting point compared to glass. So would suggest taking the kiln outside and burn out the plastic. From your description it looks like the plastic perhaps ran between the bricks. Once burned out add a fiber blanket to the floor.

Others may have additional suggestions. Or check with the manufacture of the kin to see what their suggestions are.
Old 2014-04-26, 1:35am
Slogan Challenged...

Thanks, you make it sound manageable to fix...I was really worried but I'm calming down now. I used to use a fiber blanket, I'm not sure why I stopped except it made me itchy to handle it. I should do that again, I think, but just use a small piece as a layer on the bottom....

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-04-26, 4:33am
Melody of Glass

Bummer. The only thing I am allowed to put on or in the kiln that is flammable is the plug for the kiln!

Let me qualify this by saying I really have no idea, Kristin...just throwing out some info I have heard. If you have bits of glass in your kiln that get stuck in the brick, you are not supposed to melt them because they will eventually work their way farther into the firebrick. I think melting the plastic further might be bad for the same reason. If you can't get it off while cool, you may need to replace a brick or two. I think I would call the manufacturer for advice before trying anything.

I have been thinking about some kiln paper on the bottom of mine to protect it. Anyone have advice on that vs fibre blanket?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2014-04-26, 4:55am
Slogan Challenged...

Melody, I have heard that about glass....I went ahead and contacted the manufacturer. I hope this works out for this weekend!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-04-26, 5:06am
Melody of Glass

Crossing my fingers for you!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2014-04-26, 5:40am
Slogan Challenged...

Thank you!

(staying calm, staying calm)....I think my new slogan should be "It's all under control, here!"

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-04-26, 5:51am
Loving learning

And Just to mention that if you did gouge a little nick here or there, you can get a kind of "clay" to repair fire brick surfaces in the kiln if it isn't too bad. I've never used it, but heard about it.
Old 2014-04-26, 5:52am
Melody of Glass

I didn't know that, Eileen. Cool.

Coming soon...

Old 2014-04-26, 5:54am

Caliente, the fiber paper (if you are talking about something like thinfire) disintegrates after the first firing. You could use a thick 1/4 inch fiber paper but it won't last as long and comes apart after a few firings. A fiber blanket last a really long time. Mine has been in the kiln for over 3 years.

It wouldn't hurt to coat the bottom and about 2 inches up the sides of any kiln used for glass with kiln wash. Do not get any on the elements. This is good protection in addition to the blanket.

Last edited by Deb L; 2014-04-26 at 5:59am. Reason: added info
Old 2014-04-26, 6:27am
Melody of Glass

Ah.....thanks Deb. I didn't know that. I have a piece of it on top of the kiln that I put murrini and things on which is fine but is obviously nowhere near the temp inside.

I do have kiln wash on the base of mine. Probably time to re-coat now that you mention it.

Coming soon...

Old 2014-04-26, 10:18am
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

Is it one of our kilns ? just take a putty knife when it cools and scrape it off, it should pop right off. If it takes a little brick with it just use some kiln brick mortar to patch it.

Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2014-04-26, 2:43pm
Slogan Challenged...

Ok, I heard back from the manufacturer (not glasshive, thanks) who basically offered the same^^^advice - clean off the excess and also to turn it over. Whew!

I'm also going to get some of this firebrick mortar, looks like handy stuff. Thanks y'all !

Facebook:

Etsy:

Last edited by KJohn; 2014-04-26 at 2:45pm.
Old 2014-04-26, 3:36pm
Melody of Glass

To turn what over, Kristin?

Coming soon...

Old 2014-04-26, 3:38pm
Slogan Challenged...

the bottom is a slab with a mandrel rest attached to the metal framing around it....I have to turn the slab over to use the previous underside as a kiln bottom, and reposition the mandrel rest....

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-05-01, 1:45am

handy trick I picked up is when using fiber blanket to prevent itching use a large black file paper clip (looks like a small clamp) to attach to the edge of the blanket & use it as a handle to open & close the blanket.
Old 2014-05-01, 7:16pm

fiber blanket and paper are quite hazardous. Be careful how you handle it.