Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-08-07, 2:41am

Default Creation Station Glitch!

I was all ready to order a Creation Station to go on my worktable....when i realized that my table i ordered is metal! And the creation station is supposed to be screwed into a wood surface.

Help! now what am i gonna do? I possibly could get metal screws to screw it into the steel surface but I'd sure hate to do that.

any other way to securely connect it?

An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one. ~Charles Horton Cooley
Old 2009-08-07, 2:49am

You can use C-clamps to fasten it down if you want to be able to easily move it. Another option would be to mark the hole positions and drill holes in the table and use bolts to fasten it down. That would be what I would do for a permanent or even semi-permanent setup.

That said, I didn't really like our when I tried to use it. I just brace my arms on a couple pound jars of frit or even sometimes the Cricket setting to the side of my Mirage. I might try setting it up for Morgana or Angelique when I get their stations set up in the new studio when I get back.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-08-07, 4:14am
Certified Glassaholic!

Same as what Paul said. I used a c-clamp and that worked fine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-08-07, 5:34am

Shelly,

My table is actually plastic, but I covered it with cement backer board and then drilled holes to mount the CS and my torch. I drilled holes all the way through the backer board and table, put long bolts through and don't have the C-clamps in the way. To remove, there is only 4 bolts to remove.

Greg
Old 2009-08-07, 5:43am
I fart diamonds

I use a C-clamp, too.

Old 2009-08-07, 6:27am

With the right drill bit you can drill through the metal - if it's made like a stainless countertop it may be a sheet of steel over a plywood backer board so you will be drilling through maybe 1/8" of metal, then wood. If you are worried about "damaging" the table keep in mind that it is becoming a work surface and probably will not stay "pristine".

I have my creation station bolted to my bench top - which is a sheet of metal over plywood. The bolts go all the way through, with a washer and lock nut to keep everything tight.

"The creative process is a process of surrender, not control.” Julia Cameron

Scorpion on 2 concentrators
Old 2009-08-07, 6:34am
Miles from nowhere...

I didn't want to drill holes in my table either....so I clamp mine also. Works great.

Kate

Old 2009-08-07, 6:38am
phrit phreak

Yup. I'm w/ everyone. C-Clamp...I take mine w/ me when I go torchin' elsewhere.

Old 2009-08-07, 1:43pm

Thanks everyone, that sounds great. I'll try the c-clamp first and will resort to a bolt if i have to.
thanks alot
michele

Old 2009-08-07, 2:21pm
Joy! Is a me.

I have a stainless steel table and I drilled holes in to attach my creation station. No problems for me on that one. It is all personal preference of course.
I love my creation station!
molly
Old 2009-08-07, 2:23pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

My table is metal, and I use C-clamps. works a treat.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2009-08-08, 7:37pm
TravelLight&Don'tRush

Default To dril or not to drill?

I have a creation station and have drilled through my sheet metal into the desk below. I had a short hesitation before drilling into my desk, but got over it. I am thrilled with the results. The creation station is rock solid, and if I ever choose to remove it and use my desk for something else, I can fill the drill holes with wood putty or something like that. I have included 2 photos so you can see my set up[IMG][/IMG]
Old 2009-08-08, 7:56pm
In search of her path....

I c - clamp mine onto my table...I dont particularly want to screw it into my folding table so the c clamp works pretty well.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2009-08-13, 1:35am

Sounds great. And thanks for the photos. I"ll probably try c- clamping it first and if that's not working I'll go ahead and drill.

I just ordered one this week from bluemoon glass and it should be in next week i guess. Can't wait to get set up and start working/learning!
Michele

Old 2009-08-14, 11:27pm

Got my creation station today with extra leather elbow pads! Looks really comfy and I can't wait to try it..soon as i get my everything set up. Hopefull by Fall!
Michele