LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2022-10-29, 11:20pm

Default Anyone know how to make these? Please!

Hi guys! I’m new to the world of lampwork! I found these beautiful beads online a while back and they are what inspired me to start learning lampwork!

These are vintage glass beads and these beads are known as Dragons Breath! I think they are absolutely gorgeous but could not find a tutorial of anything close to them! Most of the foil techniques out there unfortunately doesn’t offer the depth these beads have. If anyone knows how to make them, please!
Attached Images

Old 2022-10-30, 9:32am

Hi Annieli123. I don't know how these are made, but if I were to try to replicate them, this is what I would do.

Make a base bead of your choice of transparent. Roll in silver foil pieces. Thinly encase in clear transparent. Roll in reduction glass shards or thinly encase in reduction glass. Reduce, unreduce, then reduce again until you get the translucent effect and pop in the kiln.
Old 2022-10-30, 1:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC View Post
Hi Annieli123. I don't know how these are made, but if I were to try to replicate them, this is what I would do.

Make a base bead of your choice of transparent. Roll in silver foil pieces. Thinly encase in clear transparent. Roll in reduction glass shards or thinly encase in reduction glass. Reduce, unreduce, then reduce again until you get the translucent effect and pop in the kiln.
Hi ESC,

I’m a newbie, could you please explain how to unreduce and what it does? I only know reduction!
Old 2022-10-30, 2:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annieli123 View Post
Hi ESC,

I’m a newbie, could you please explain how to unreduce and what it does? I only know reduction!
To unreduce to is either turn the propane way down or the oxygen way up; basically the opposite of a reducing flame. It simply burns off the reduction metal on the surface of the glass. Then you reduce again, only there's not as much silver on the surface anymore, so you get a filmy surface instead of a shiny surface.
Old 2022-10-31, 3:43pm
Slogan Challenged...

those look really similar to Naos's Fire Opals. There is a free tutorial in the archives here, should get you on your way!

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2022-11-10, 9:32am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
those look really similar to Naos's Fire Opals. There is a free tutorial in the archives here, should get you on your way!
Thank you!!
Old 2022-11-10, 9:34am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
Hi Kristin,

I did see that gorgeous tutorial! It was the closest I could find but unfortunately the fire opals are darker and more vivid in color (probably because of the black base glass?), whereas these have a softer color; and the opals also don’t offer the same amount of depth….I thought of modifying the tutorial but have no idea how….
Old 2022-11-10, 11:24am

Those look like they have Olympia Rain stringer squiggles under or over the encasing. Unfortunately I don't think that glass is available any longer. Someone might know of a substitute. I used to make something sorta similar but pressed.

Old 2022-11-10, 12:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
Those look like they have Olympia Rain stringer squiggles under or over the encasing. Unfortunately I don't think that glass is available any longer. Someone might know of a substitute. I used to make something sorta similar but pressed.
Aion or Aion 2, somewhat like OR.