No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-01, 1:58pm
Disconnected

Default How do you clean 1/16" holes?

I have been happy using Dave's BeadReamer for the 3/32 and 1/8" holes but I just started to use 1/16" mandrels and those spiral cut wire tools wear off really fast. Should I order the 1/16" BeadReamer tool? I hear it works differently than the other 2.
How do you do it?

Thank you in advance for your answers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-02-01, 3:16pm
Ready to hit the road

I use a Dremel with a long reamer and a bucket of water. Works a whole lot better than by hand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-02-01, 5:26pm
Burning Fingers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsymn View Post
I use a Dremel with a long reamer and a bucket of water. Works a whole lot better than by hand.
Ditto!

/
/
/

Old 2009-02-01, 5:47pm

I've used a round diamond saw blade for years, they work good. I bought mine in a gem and rock shop. Iona
Old 2009-02-01, 8:30pm

I whole-heartedly agree with using a Dremel to clean beads. You can buy the bit you'll need from Howaco (Diamond Coated Bead Reamer). They're only $1 each.

http://www.howacoglasssupplycompany.com/tools.html

That bit will probably fit a any rotary tool. I'm sure there's a cheap knock-off of the Dremel out there.

Candy

Old 2009-02-02, 8:44am
Disconnected

Thank you for your answers!
I do use my BeadReamers on a Dremel in water. I was just wondering if buying the 1/16" bit was worth it or just a regular reamer would do.
The $1 bit looks perfect, but I was not sure if it would be small enough. I'll try that.

Thank you again

Old 2009-02-02, 10:03am

Arrow Springs has their diamond cleaning tools on sale this month. http://www.arrowsprings.com/
There is a really thin bit in there which cleans 1/16" size (works great) I love mine.

Debbie
Old 2009-02-02, 2:26pm
Life is change. Love it

I bought the 1/16 beadreamer and bent it after two uses. I would try the Dremel if I were you, I've used it for years.

Old 2009-02-02, 2:36pm
Disconnected

Thanks for the tip, Debbie
Carolyn, that's exactly what I was afraid of. Not that I doubt the quality of the product (I've had my 2 other bits for a while) but knowing how they work, I doubted that the 1/16 one would be easy to use. Thank you for the feedback on that one!
I think I'll go with the Arrow Springs kit, the thin one looks perfect. I don't make a lot of 1/16 hole beads, so I don't mind cleaning them without power.

Old 2009-02-02, 3:48pm
Roo ...

I detect some confusion on this thread, as there are handheld bead reamers, and Dave's BeadReamer (which goes in a dremel). So I'm finding it hard to figure who likes what, and I'm not sure if anyone has answered your question specific to using Dave's BeadReamer in a dremel. I have one and lean on it probably harder than I should, and it's had no tendency to bend. I haven't tried any other diamond tool in the dremel, though, so I hesitate to compare it to anything else (I'd like to try something else given the $$). I've been very happy with Dave's BeadReamer, though, with no problems. He should have maybe named it something more distinctive to avoid confusion .

Unless *I'm* confused. (happens all the time ...)

Regards,
- Beck in MN.

Old 2009-02-02, 5:14pm
picking Job's Tears

I mostly use pipe cleaners, the ones with the hard bristles. The do wear out, but the wire in the middle works rather well too, especially for small holes. And when they're worn down you can double them up. I may switch to using my Dremel when I get to making more beads though.
- Now wondering whether it might work to use a pipe cleaner in the Dremel. -
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2009-02-02, 9:19pm
I practice alchemy!

I have the manual bead reamer set from Arrow Springs. The only problem I have with the 1/16" reamer bit is that if I poke myself with it--which I do frequently--I tend to bleed on the beads.

Celeste
Old 2009-02-02, 9:45pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I have Dave's 1/16" BeaDreamer. I have used it constantly for about 2 years. I not only use it for the tiny bead holes but I use it to clean out the sides of big hole beads by rolling it around on the inside. I've had no problems with bending and I must say I abuse mine terribly. I purchased a second one as a backup over 6 months ago and I haven't had to take it out of the package.

It is well worth it!

Last edited by MaryBeth; 2009-02-02 at 11:40pm.
Old 2009-02-02, 10:20pm

I use the manual reaming tips (get mine from jewelry supply places - Rio is my main supplier) in my #2 flex shaft (dremel) - I buy them in a 6 pack I think and then run it in water. I'm pretty sure I'll have to replace the dremel soon(probably 5 years old now) but as it only cleans beads I can live with it until it dies!

Sadie

Old 2009-02-04, 2:56pm

Here's where I get my dremel bits for bead cleaning. I use a rechargeable Dremel for beads. The bits work great and last a long time, and they ship quickly. Plus, it's fun to look at all the things they have if you're a tool junkie like me.

http://www.widgetsupply.com/

Kathy

Old 2009-02-04, 3:10pm
Disconnected

Thank you all!
Now I am really confused!
Kathy, what a gorgeous cat

Old 2009-02-04, 3:31pm
Seeker of Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
I have Dave's 1/16" BeaDreamer. I have used it constantly for about 2 years. I not only use it for the tiny bead holes but I use it to clean out the sides of big hole beads by rolling it around on the inside. I've had no problems with bending and I must say I abuse mine terribly. I purchased a second one as a backup over 6 months ago and I haven't had to take it out of the package.

It is well worth it!
I totally agree with MaryBeth. While the BeaDreamer is a bit pricier, I've used it for quite a while myself without any issues.

I also use it on the larger holes since it works so well.

I tried some cheapy diamond bits before and found that they were more for drilling since the diamonds were only at the very bottom and the sides were not coated at all.

I scratched a lot beads with those since they had to be pulled all the way to the edge of the hole to work at all.

Definitely recommend the BeaDreamer!

Lloyd
AKA BurningScentsations

Old 2009-02-04, 3:53pm

Thanks, about the kitty. That's Toonses. One blue eye and one green eye. I'm dating myself, but anyone remember Toonses The Driving Cat from Saturday Night Live? Hysterical skit, or was back then.

About my Dremel- I bought one of the rechargeable ones from Fred Meyer- I'm in Oregon, for about $30. I've had it for at least 4 years and it works great with the different diamond bits for different mandrel sizes, that I order from Widget Supply. I've seen them online for around the same price. I tried using pipe cleaners and even put them in the Dremel (thanks for the reminder Maren) and I couldn't get happy with the cleaning. Guess I thought the dremel would take the pressure off twisting my wrist with something that was manual.

It's all a matter of preference.

Kathy

Old 2009-02-05, 1:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post

It is well worth it!

Ditto!

Flonche, if you can afford it, just go for it! Well, worth it!

Old 2009-02-05, 5:27pm

My "Tool" needy side is saying try the BeaDreamer. I just went to the site and looked at the video; it's very cool. I'm glad to hear what others are doing about that pesky release.

Old 2009-02-10, 1:34pm
Disconnected

Aaaallrighty then, I'll shed those bucks if Sylvie says it's good! Just kidding, thank you Lloyd and Kathy and Mary Beth and Toonses and everyone else. I know I really like my 2 other BeadReamers, so here goes!

Old 2009-02-10, 2:55pm
More ideas than talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
I bought the 1/16 beadreamer and bent it after two uses. I would try the Dremel if I were you, I've used it for years.
I did the same thing, though hubby straightened it for me. - It will bend if you let go the bead!

I found the dremel too fast. I eventually put the bit in a small handheld drill that my husband had had for 20 years. Because it's so much slower I find it much easier to use.

Old 2009-02-10, 7:41pm
Fire Monkey

I've got several diamond reamers but what works best for me is my old Fireworks reamer with a wooden handle. I like it on longer beads especially and I can do it faster than with a Dremel. Go figure...