Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2010-10-31, 11:28am

Default Which Torch?

I've piped in propane, tried both Bobcat and Cricket (was on HH). Am having alot of trouble doing stuff I was doing on the HH (stringer work, adding silver wire). Is there a duel fuel torch that heats and behaves like a HH? The biggest reason I did this was to eliminate the bulk tank inside. I know this sounds crazy, but I'm having so much trouble adjusting and frustrated I can't do stuff that I did well before.
Old 2010-10-31, 4:36pm

It also took me a while to transition between a HH to the Minor and then to the Scorpion. What worked for me was to turn down the propane so I had a small flame and work my stringer and silver wire. It's definitely hot enough and the small flame allows me to heat just the spot I need. PM'ing you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-10-31, 6:09pm

Thanks Barb, pm back.
Old 2010-10-31, 6:20pm

Get out of the flame more, your. COre is staying really hot and radiating heat out to your detail work. With ox prop torches you need tobe in and out of the flame more and the bead will tolerate it alot more than you are used to. I had that same trialmat first.
Old 2010-11-05, 2:21pm
I'm meeeeelting

I wonder if you'd be happier with a mini-cc. It has a bushier flame and a lot of radiant heat but not as hot of a pinpoint as the cricket.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2010-11-05, 2:31pm
Capp'in Fool

I was thinking the samething Felicia.

Old 2010-11-06, 7:49am
Gentleman of Leisure

Go back to basic.... Find where best heat in flame is and where glass moves the way you want it to.... You have intensely more heat than with hothead.... Hothead has a busy flame and about 3200° at hottest part of flame, fuel/oxygen torch is about 4800° in hottest portion of flame and heat area is more pinpoint....

Basics, as other have stated, would be use smaller flame and move out a bit further in flame....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-11-14 at 6:59pm.
Old 2010-11-14, 4:17pm

Thanks all. Will continue to play with this, another torch is out of thequestion at this point, but maybe at some point I can find a min cc to try. I am determined to make this work.
Old 2010-11-16, 8:29am

Instead of buying another torch I would just practice. Every torch works a bit different and will just take some time to get used to you will get your stringer control back