No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-09-10, 11:57am

Question Release problems

Aloha Amigos!

The Cowboy has another entry-level problem, and this time it is with Mandrel Release. I'm using 'Flame-Dri' and I have two issues with it. The first is that I have a hard time getting my glass to grab onto it, the glass should take hold quite easily but for some reason I have to really work at it, and often I have a mutilated end on my rod before the glass adheres. My second issue is that the mandrel release sometimes explodes randomly!

What am I doing wrong? What can I do to fix it?

Thanks again people, and I'm sorry for asking such newbie things.

Cowboy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Big Purple Barn is a big, beautiful dream.
Old 2012-09-10, 12:09pm
Nikki Haverstock

Are you heating it before applying the glass? You need to get the release quite cherry red before you can start a bead and the release should be hot when applying glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-09-10, 12:11pm
Loving learning

I don't know about the exploding thing, but maybe the release is not totally dry?
In order to get the glass to stick, the mandrel has to be hot. The glass should also be molten.

I heat my mandrel, turning while running it back & forth through the flame to be certain there is no moisture in the release even if I dipped it days ago. Release has a lot of clay in it, so would wick moisture from the air if it's humid, plus just making sure is a good idea anyway.
Old 2012-09-10, 12:17pm

I think the exploding has made me afraid to heat it right, I'll make sure to do that! Thanks guys!

Also, Polgarra - I have two Greyhounds!

Old 2012-09-10, 12:20pm
Nikki Haverstock

The 'exploding' release, could it be what we call 'your release breaking' ? Did it flake off the mandrel?

Yay for greyhounds.

Old 2012-09-10, 12:27pm

I wish I was being dramatic, but it actually pops and flies off. Weird, huh?

Old 2012-09-10, 2:46pm

Location: Indian River County, Florida originally from Connecticut

I heat the 1/16" mandrel out in the flame get it warmed up. I use Dip- N- Go Blue Sludge for years. The Only break aways I may get is if I'm to close to the outer edge and shaping. I didn't pre warm the area once again.
I place a small amount of mandrel relaease in a small medicine jar. Yes I shake it up prior to use I get no bubbles. Sometimes if it has been standing for month's I will add a little H2O. This way I don't mess up the large container.
I dip and just place mandrels in clean play sand and let them stay for a day. The small mandrels I don't tap on bench and then place in sand. I coat the mandrels only one time. Then I transfer to another container in the outer side of the torch area.
I could use it right away but I have a large supply of mandrels.
Old 2012-09-10, 4:05pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpurpleb View Post
I wish I was being dramatic, but it actually pops and flies off. Weird, huh?
No it is not weird. You are heating the mandrel hot when the bead release is still wet. I flame dry in the upper area of the flame until it is dry and then slowly bring it down lower to get the mandrel hot for the glass.

Old 2012-09-11, 6:50am

Try to keep your release thin. Thick layers are more prone to the popping you've experienced. Dry on the surface and damp underneath can give you a small steam explosion on your mandrel.

Robert
Old 2012-09-11, 10:02am

How thick it the release?
Mine always dries out a bit between sesions and I need to add water to get a thick neckter consistancy, Pudding is to thick and leaves clumps and bumps. if its thin you can dubble dip to bulid up the release.

Try Roasting the release like a marshmallow in the fleathers of the flame untill the color lightens before introducing it directly to the working area of the flame.

as for applying glass you might need to heat it up a little more before applying molten glass to the mandrel, Thicker mandrels like 3/32" and 1/8" diamiter take a lot more abuse before getting all wibbly-wobble.
Old 2012-09-11, 10:58am

It's working now! Thanks for all of the help guys, you made things so much better!

Old 2012-09-11, 11:18am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I'll mention a pet peeve of mine here for you flame dryers....and glass heaters.

How many of you, and I know it's a big bunch, heat your mandrel and glass rods by waving them up and down through the flame????

Bad, bad, bad! Here's what you are really doing; heat, cool, heat, cool, heat, cool as the rod/mandrel goes in and out of the flame. Shock, shock, shock!

Start way out at the flame tip and gradually bring the rod/mandrel closer to the torch. nice slow even heat build up. Much less shock and popping.

PJ

Tags
cowboy, mandrel, question, release