LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2008-03-27, 5:14pm

Geez, if it's black galaxy (black with gold adventurine flecks all over it), $150 is sooo cheap, that stuff is like $80 sf installed (and installation is NOT that expensive). That's one of the most incredibly beautiful granite in the world... just to die for.

I have granite tiles on my work surface. I also have a large stainless table (8' long). Hands down, granite is better than the stainless. I'm a bit of a slob with my glass, I tend to use my glass scissors to cut hunks off of boiling boro and pieces go flying everywhere. It WOULD discolor my stainless table, but the granite doesn't even notice. I also have accidentally cooked my tools to fused before, and they lay right down on the granite np. Doesn't have any effect on the surface.

Your tabletop is the one thing you will spend the most time looking at. You'll likely buy a new torch, new tanks, new tools, but still have the same tabletop. It's WELL worth the expense to get a nice one in the beginning, as it's the one thing that you will probably have the longest.

For a piece of black galaxy that can cover your work surface, $150 is a no brainer. It will make you happy every single time you sit down to torch. And cleaning is a breeze, as almost nothing will mar the surface. There's little else you can buy for $150 that will do that for you (other than shoes on sale). That's my opinion anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Non-Glass Sites:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-04-03, 9:40pm

Construction started on my new studio today and I was thinking about my work bench so I thought I would call and see if this piece of granite was still available, and it was. I drove 30 miles to check it out,it IS the Black Galaxy Granite...It's stunning!!!

I didn’t hesitate to write a check and claim it as my own. I told they guy that at $125 I felt like I was stealing it from him, he told me it was OK to get a good deal every now and then and that I should just enjoy it...what a nice guy!

I'm not sure how the curve in the front will work as a flameworking bench, but it's definitely going into my studio.

I'm a happy woman today!
Isn’t it pretty?
Attached Images

Last edited by Elleth; 2008-04-03 at 9:45pm.
Old 2008-04-03, 11:36pm

Beautiful Elleth. I'm jealous! I think this will be one of the very few things in your life that you will never regret. Also, that looks like a VERY thick piece. At $125, yesh, wish I got so lucky.

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2008-04-04, 4:14am

I like the curve that is where I would have my torch . That way it isn't that far away from you and your arms wont get so sore. The black will make it nice to see the flame also. Great work DanG
Old 2008-04-04, 5:15am
on hiatus...

Is that your workbench it's sitting on? It certainly looks sturdy enough and the radius front will allow you some more leg room, because of the shelf in the table.

I'm trying to guess how much of an overhang you have on each end?
Old 2008-04-04, 5:19am
on hiatus...

PS... Looks awesome

And be mindful of sliding things across the top, it CAN scratch. We're working with a builder now, whose tile guy managed to put DEEP scratches in a black highbar by dragging his tools over the surface.

Denatured alchohol will keep any watermarks off of it and looking great!

Last edited by Steph'sBeadCorner; 2008-04-04 at 5:23am.
Old 2008-04-04, 6:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hels View Post
Beautiful Elleth. I'm jealous! I think this will be one of the very few things in your life that you will never regret.
Helen I think you're probably right about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph'sBeadCorner View Post
Is that your workbench it's sitting on? It certainly looks sturdy enough and the radius front will allow you some more leg room, because of the shelf in the table.

I'm trying to guess how much of an overhang you have on each end?
No, it's sitting on sawhorses behind the shop where I bought it. It's still there, we have to figure out how to get it home. We have a truck, but it's really heavy and we have to make sure there are other people here to help unload it when it arrives. This baby is HEAVY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I like the curve that is where I would have my torch . That way it isn't that far away from you and your arms wont get so sore. The black will make it nice to see the flame also. Great work DanG
The more I think it about you're right, That is where I plan to put my torch, right where it curves out.
Old 2008-04-04, 9:53am

Wow! That granite alone for your torch table will make your studio a joy to work in. And if you are not neat-neat, it will still make you happy, either just because or because it might encourage you to spiff up your work area a little more often than normal. And you can show off your studio, too.

Lucky you! Enjoy. . .
Old 2008-04-04, 10:40am

Elleth, I'm glad you got it! I'd have gotten it in a heartbeat!

J.
"Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love, and a misunderstanding is never ended by argument but by tact, diplomacy, conciliation, and a sympathetic desire to see the other person's viewpoint." ~The Buddha | “We are all humans and none of us is more human than the other.” Romeo Dallaire "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up." ~ Rev.Jesse Jackson]
Old 2008-04-05, 3:32pm

OMG, I had no idea it was this beautiful. I take back any hesitation and am so glad you bought it! You will come to LOVE that curve to give you more leg room, and wider possibilities. Have those wonderful builders make a workbench for you! OOOHHHH I am so happy for you.
Jen
Old 2008-04-05, 4:03pm
on hiatus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elleth View Post
No, it's sitting on sawhorses behind the shop where I bought it. It's still there, we have to figure out how to get it home. We have a truck, but it's really heavy and we have to make sure there are other people here to help unload it when it arrives. This baby is HEAVY!

Oh, yes I understand. can your husband build an Aframe? It can be a temporary wooden one. Doesn't have to be the same length as the top.

If you'd like more info, just PM me.

Steph
Old 2008-04-07, 8:24am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph'sBeadCorner View Post
Oh, yes I understand. can your husband build an Aframe? It can be a temporary wooden one. Doesn't have to be the same length as the top.

If you'd like more info, just PM me.

Steph
I'm not sure what you mean by Aframe?
We are going to try and get it home tonight, the plan is to place it on sawhorses for now (just like it is in the picture), it will sit in the driveway until the studio is to the point I can install it. I hope we don’t damage it moving it....wish us luck!
Old 2008-04-07, 10:11pm
da General

Elleth - what a great purchase for an incredible price! I was salivating at the photo you posted. Good luck on building your dream studio!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-08, 12:58pm

Be careful moving it, if dropped you can crack it. I have granite counters in my kitchen, and altho it's tough, it is also delicate in some ways.

Red

Lynx, Midrange, Scorpion Regalia Oxycon
Old 2008-06-14, 8:25pm

I thought I would update this tread...

The granite has FINALLY been installed in my studio!
Thanks to everyone who encouraged me to get it, I just love it.

The rest of the countertop is going to be finished with the same black galaxy granite, using 12 x 12 tiles.
Attached Images

Old 2008-06-15, 6:07am

Maggie,
The granite is to die for. Your studio is terrific. Congratluations, MarieAnn
Old 2008-06-15, 6:42am
Old to LE, new to torch

Wow. That is beautiful. I plan to do mine in granite as well. Been watching my local Craigslist. I am so happy for you that you went with your desire on this one.
Old 2008-06-15, 9:11am
Elphaba Lives !!

Way to go Maggie !!! That is just beautiful. You are so going to enjoy that. And a nice work surface like that will encourage you to keep it clean and clutter freel too!!

I can't wait to see your counter tops completely finished with the tile !!

Kathy

Old 2008-06-15, 1:02pm

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!
I'll post more pictures when I have the bench tiled and my torch set-up.

Check out my studio raisin' thread and see the building this bench is in.

Happy Fathers Day to all you Dad’s out there!