LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-07-10, 1:19pm

Default Newb question: best way to cut glass rods?

Just got my first haul of glass rods, and the clear boro rods (6 mm) are 5 feet long.

What's the best/easiest way to cut them? Preferably also cheap, if buying special tools is necessary...
Old 2014-07-10, 1:26pm
Loving learning

Do you have any tire nippers? I used those. It took a little more time than the cutter they have at the glass shop, but I didn't do them all at once, so not bad. (I have the wheeled ones, & they sell them at Harbor Freight for less than $10 someone told me)
Old 2014-07-10, 1:36pm
Shelarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyideas View Post
Just got my first haul of glass rods, and the clear boro rods (6 mm) are 5 feet long.

What's the best/easiest way to cut them? Preferably also cheap, if buying special tools is necessary...
Welcome to LE!

Where did you get 5 foot long rods?! Wow!

I have heard others score with a knife and then snap, but when I tried that I got shards everywhere.

I use cheap tile nippers. Michael's sells them in their stained glass section. Wipe them down with alcohol before nipping to minimize dirt/oil transference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-07-10, 3:38pm

Score the rod with a tungsten glass cutter (usually a triangular blade so there are three cutting surfaces) or a new, small, fine triangular file. Just score about 1/3 of the circumference of the rod. Hold the rod with your thumbs on each side of the score and the score facing away from you. Snap the rod by pulling the ends toward you and pushing the scored section away from you.

Another method is to wet the score and touch it with a small (pea size or smaller) gather of molten glass. The rod will usually break cleanly or will require less effort to snap.
Old 2014-07-10, 3:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshelle View Post
Welcome to LE!

Where did you get 5 foot long rods?! Wow!

I have heard others score with a knife and then snap, but when I tried that I got shards everywhere.

I use cheap tile nippers. Michael's sells them in their stained glass section. Wipe them down with alcohol before nipping to minimize dirt/oil transference.
I got the 5' rods from American Laboratory Supply in Richmond, CA. They're really awesome there.

Thanks for the tip, I'll go check out some tile nippers! Might also pick up a file and a tungsten glass cutter and experiment.

Thanks everyone!
Old 2014-07-10, 4:04pm

This little thing is brilliant for cutting small rod and tubing.
http://www.sciplus.com/p/GLASS-TUBE-CUTTER_3874

Old 2014-07-10, 4:51pm
HotFlash Designs

welcome to LE!!! And welcome to the world of lampwork. The community is awesome, and you will find a wealth of information right here on LE.

Be Curious. Not judgmental.
Old 2014-07-11, 4:21am
hyperT

Score the glass where you want to cut it with a carbide cutter or even a file. Rub your thumb across the score mark (this will make it break easier). Put both hands on either side of the score mark about 4 to 6 inches apart, place the rod up close to your body with the score mark facing out pull apart and back. It will break. If there are any protrusions on the end of the rod knock it off, it is very sharp and can give you a nasty cut. Then when you are done playing rush right out and get a decent cutter.
Old 2014-07-13, 11:27am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnmcginnis View Post
Score the rod with a tungsten glass cutter (usually a triangular blade so there are three cutting surfaces) or a new, small, fine triangular file. Just score about 1/3 of the circumference of the rod. Hold the rod with your thumbs on each side of the score and the score facing away from you. Snap the rod by pulling the ends toward you and pushing the scored section away from you.

Another method is to wet the score and touch it with a small (pea size or smaller) gather of molten glass. The rod will usually break cleanly or will require less effort to snap.
This is my method too. Easy and cheap.
Old 2014-07-13, 3:03pm

Just an additional thought here. Years ago Tom Holland recommended cutting rods under water, as the glass microscopic glass shards wafting off the break go right into your lungs.
You might also try doing your cutting with your exhaust fan running.

Tags
cut, cutting, rod, rods