Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-12-13, 8:22pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Default Help! Anybody! How To Make This Flower..

Hi guys, I just started lampworking, and my beads are still hideous. so forgive the stupid question, I really dont know how to make this flower, I dont think its that hard, but I just cant figure out how, please help!
(I borrow the image from Catherine Steele's beautiful beads, I hope she doesnt mind, I only take the flower shape in question, I really hope this is okay. Please let me know if this is not okay, I will delete the picture soon).

Thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-12-13, 8:26pm
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

Me me !! I know...
Make 5 dots, take a stringer, warm up the dots a bit and twist the middle of the dots with the stringer... Voila... Simple no???

Old 2005-12-13, 8:26pm

Five raised dots, poke the center with a stringer and twist while they are still warm. cool just a bit break the stringer off. Voila' twisted flowers!
Old 2005-12-13, 8:27pm
Lampwork "Padawan"

I'll share what I know but I warn you, I just started not too long ago. My guess would be to make five decent sized dots (not to large) put them as if they were the points of a star. Slightly drag the tips of them inward and make a swirl as you go and I think that's how it's done. I tried a couple of times to make them with three and four dots but I have never tried five. Let me know if this helps you any!
Old 2005-12-13, 8:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlee22
Me me !! I know...
Make 5 dots, take a stringer, warm up the dots a bit and twist the middle of the dots with the stringer... Voila... Simple no???
OKAY that is just to creepy! You even said- Voila'-! Our post times are both 9:26 pm.

Great minds think alike!
Old 2005-12-13, 8:31pm
Entropy increasing....

Looks like they made a stringer with rubino and pink swirled together.

This technique is really easy. When you poke the middle turn the stringer about 1/2 the way around. Take it out of the flame and wiggle the stringer back and forth. You will feel the bead hardening as it cools. At a certain point it will break off right at the surface of the bead.
Old 2005-12-13, 8:31pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Wow, sweet! That was fast you guys!
Thank you Liz, darling! I love the cute smiley!

Thank you VikkiLynn and Candylady! You guys are too sweet! I'm going to my torch and try it right now! Woo hoo..!

Love ya all!

Old 2005-12-13, 8:33pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Ups, you guys are too fast, thank you Kevan!
I'm off to my torch now!

Old 2005-12-13, 8:33pm
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

weird!

Old 2005-12-13, 10:58pm
Sheila

Oooh, thanks Kevan for the tip on how to break the stringer off. I've seen that technique mentioned a lot, and figured I was in for lots of trial and error to get it right.

Old 2005-12-13, 11:13pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheilaSu
Oooh, thanks Kevan for the tip on how to break the stringer off. I've seen that technique mentioned a lot, and figured I was in for lots of trial and error to get it right.
I thought that for a long time, but I have used a 3mm stringer and it still breaks off right at the surface with no problem. Just move it back and forth as it cools and it will just snap in the right place. Like magic.
Old 2005-12-14, 2:24pm

Edna,
It took me forever to figure out how that was done! You are so much smarter for asking! But that's it. 5 dots twisted with a stringer. I blow on the stringer to cool it off! Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2005-12-15, 6:37pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Hi Paula! Thank you sweetie!