LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-02-06, 5:59pm

Default Considering getting CiM's gelly's sty but worried about a few things...

Well I am a little worried about buying some but I really REALLY want it because of how gorgeous it is. It's such a nice true pink!

I was wondering what you guys that have used it thought of it (and if you have any extra, wanna sell me a rod to play with? )

My concern is over it turning livery because all I have to work with is a hothead torch, and I obviously can't control the amount of oxygen that goes into the flame... so it's pretty much propane only, which as I understand it is a reducing type of flame that has a tendency to turn pinks livery. I really do not want to invest money into something I won't be able to utilize because of the type of torch I have, so what do you think? Is it worth it? Should I go for it or hold off until I have a oxy/fuel torch?
Old 2012-02-06, 6:04pm
Tweedle Dumb

Gelly (it's namesake) works on a hothead. She makes pink piggies.

http://www.etsy.com/people/Gelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2012-02-06, 8:15pm

Its a lovely pink and I had no trouble with it when I worked on a hothead.

Old 2012-02-07, 6:41pm
Glass-aholic

Just get it! It rocks!!! I used it on a hh and had no issues every time. It's not like you couldnt go livery if you tried.. But not under normal working conditions.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-02-07, 6:43pm

It's a keeper!

Old 2012-02-08, 1:29pm
Artistically Absorbed

I love this color, I have the original batch though, and it is sensitive to being the base color and then encased. I had better results encasing it when laying down clear as a base then Gelly Sty and then encase. I don't know if all batches are that way. Definitely worth the trouble though, very pretty pink!
-Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2012-02-08, 6:27pm

I have had no problems and I am on a hh too. Sometimes you might see your glass burning or getting dark spots, either turn down the flame or check to see if your tank is almost empty. Also check out howaco's site, she sells individual rods. Howaco's prices are very good. Her glass is less expensive than some other places. Here is the site.
http://www.howacoglass.com/index.html

Caroline
Old 2012-02-09, 6:04pm

Gelly Pink is the one pink you don't have to worry about turning livery. It's the best pink I know of.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2012-02-10, 8:02am
one day at a time

The only colors you have to worry about turning livery are the red and the orange opaques, and this would happen on an oxy/propane torch, not the HH. In fact, you will get better Bullseye pinks on the HH than on an oxy/propane set-up. Sometimes more heat is not necessarily better.
Old 2012-02-10, 9:22am
I speak Murrini!

Gelly's Sty Pink has never turned "livery" on me on the HH either; the only thing I saw - and that's if I get it too hot or too close to the torch face - is a bit of divot. Usually, with careful re-heating, though, this restores to is lovely, lustrous original color and finish!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2012-02-10, 11:37am
Smile, it's contagious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
Gelly (it's namesake) works on a hothead. She makes pink piggies.

Thanks for the mention JL. It's true that I'm on a HH (but, shhh... don't tell anyone)... I don't use Gelly's Sty for my pigs.

Gelly's sty pink is so pink that it is actually too pink for my pigs. I think it is a perfect "barbie pink" color.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2012-02-10, 11:59am
Lover of Life

Uh-oh Gelly, you know the obvious question that follows that revelation! Ok if you don't wanna say, but I'm sure curious cus I had always assumed it was Gelly's Sty! Your piggies are always such a pretty piggy pink! Your avatar piggy is GS, isn't it?

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."

Last edited by bexrox; 2012-02-10 at 12:04pm.
Old 2012-02-10, 11:59am
Tweedle Dumb

Oops. Sorry Gelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelly View Post
Thanks for the mention JL. It's true that I'm on a HH (but, shhh... don't tell anyone)... I don't use Gelly's Sty for my pigs.

Gelly's sty pink is so pink that it is actually too pink for my pigs. I think it is a perfect "barbie pink" color.

Old 2012-02-10, 1:01pm

I have lots of shorts. If you want me to send you some shorts in many colors let me know.

Old 2012-02-10, 2:52pm
Smile, it's contagious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexrox View Post
Uh-oh Gelly, you know the obvious question that follows that revelation! Ok if you don't wanna say, but I'm sure curious cus I had always assumed it was Gelly's Sty! Your piggies are always such a pretty piggy pink! Your avatar piggy is GS, isn't it?
I'm pretty sure my avatar was made with effetre 256-cc (cotton candy batch). I know it was 256 for sure. Some batches of 256 were crap while others have been fabulous. I've also gotten lucky with a couple of nice batches of 260.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
Oops. Sorry Gelly!
That's ok!! Just keep posting my links when you mention me and I really won't care what you say about me.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2012-02-10, 2:58pm
Smile, it's contagious!

Whoops. I also wanted to mention that the only Gelly's sty that I have is the original batch. I'm not sure if it has changed over the years, but I did have some problems with devit also. I don't know if that was because I was sculpting with it or what. I know that the batch I have doesn't hold heat for very long which also made it more difficult for me to sculpt with.

But if you are looking for a PINK pink as opposed to a carnation pink, then I say Gelly's sty is what you want.

Old 2012-02-10, 3:06pm
Tweedle Dumb

Gelly is a turd. Check out her Etsy shop.

PS. I also had some devit when I worked with it, but I worked it a long time. I figured that was the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelly View Post
That's ok!! Just keep posting my links when you mention me and I really won't care what you say about me.

Old 2012-02-10, 3:14pm
aka Spawn Of Flame

I love Gelly's Sty, I work it on a Bobcat with never a color issue. I do have to say that it is one of my crankier glasses that I work with. I do multiple beads at a time (not the make a bead and let it cool; I keep them all warm). I mean I can do these in my sleep. Anyway, with this glass, I have to be really careful to keep the heat in them or I will lose one to cracking.

I do put up with it's crankiness though because I really like the color.

--
--
--

Old 2012-02-10, 3:40pm
I practice alchemy!

I love Gelly's Sty! It is the best pink pink, I've worked with so far. If cost is an issue, order it from Rose Valley Glass--you can order by the rod, and her service is awesome. I did try to make a pink monster with Gelly's Sty and put Effetre eyes on it and the eyes popped off...I haven't had much trouble with this color cracking; the one that cracks for me is Kryptonite.