No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-02-15, 7:38am
Light My Torch

Default help beads cracking

MY beads are cracking like crazy. I just went from a hot head to a bobcat. So if anyone has any hints, I sure would love the help. The ones that are cracking the most is one that I put SS in. They are cracking down the middle. I do not know what I'm doing wrong, did not have this problem with my Hot Head! So help!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-02-15, 7:43am

Post a pic of the cracks.

If I am understanding you correctly, they are cracking along the mandrel. cracks like this are almost always related to thermal issues. Are you putting the beads in a kiln or using a fiber blanket?
Old 2010-02-15, 8:00am
Light My Torch

this is one of them. I put them in the klin as soon as I'm done. It is set at 980.
thanks
for the help
jj

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-02-15, 8:19am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

are you encasing the SIS?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-02-15, 9:20am
Light My Torch

yes

Old 2010-02-15, 9:52am
maybe tomorrow

That looks like a thermal crack.

When you press, the heat is sucked out of the bead by the tool, and you now have some areas of glass that are thicker than others. Be sure you to go back and make sure it's evenly heated before it goes into the kiln.

Old 2010-02-15, 10:04am
tweetysweetie

JJ, that is a thermal crack. You have to "warm" the whole bead up to the same glow throughout, before putting away in the kiln. An un-even heat base will create more problems in the long run.

Heat the finished bead to an even glow all around, hold under your table (stay away from hoses lol) so you can see the glow...preferably a dk. cherry red glow on the inside, all the way around (no darker/lighter spots anywhere), and the outside has already "colored up", then pop into kiln.

My guess is your learning curve with your torch is still in process, it drives heat deeper into the glass than the HH that you can't see while working or are aware of, which creates the stress placement. That's why its' important to attain an even heat base before putting the bead away.

Also, make sure your mandrals are dipped thick enough...too thin of release between the glass and steel will create a thermal crack, even with the proper cooling process.

Old 2010-02-15, 10:29am
Light My Torch

yes I'm still in the learning curve!!! Just when I think that I've got it, something pops up!!!! Thank for all of the info. I will keep on trying!!!
jj

Old 2010-02-15, 11:21am

Did I misread your initial post or have I been mis-informed. Did you say that you put in sterling silver? I thought you have to use fine silver for beads.

BTW, looks like thermal cracks to me too.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2010-02-15, 11:58am
Light My Torch

I roll my bead in silver foil then encase with transparent glass
jj

Old 2010-02-15, 12:04pm
Storm Queen

What did you encase with?

Old 2010-02-15, 12:07pm

Smile

Hi- Which clear are you using to encase? If it is Lauscha, it does not like to be squeezed, especially if you have encased silver foil/leaf. Most other clears are OK for this combo, but you do really need to heat the bead, especially along the mandrel line until it has a good glow to it. Sounds like you are annealing at the right temperature for Lauscha- are you holding pretty high too? I hold at 970, then anneal at 980. Laura

Old 2010-02-15, 12:09pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

While that looks a lot like a thermal crack, the fact that is curves as much as it does makes me question whether or not it is in fact thermal.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-02-15, 12:16pm
Storm Queen

I'm wondering if she's using Diamond Clear...

Old 2010-02-15, 12:24pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

me too.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-02-15, 3:52pm

Also try some beads with the same formula and missing out the silver foil part to see if those crack. I had a lot of problems a few years ago with cracking when I first started to use silver leaf and foil on everything. It was finally solved by upping the garaging and annealing temperature somewhat (someone helped me as they had been finding the same thing). I ended up annealing my silver foil and pressed beads at 975.

Old 2010-02-15, 3:58pm
da General

That doesn't look like thermal crack to me - the line isn't straight and the crack is on one side of the bead hole and not in the middle where the glass is the thinnest.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-02-15, 4:04pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
That doesn't look like thermal crack to me - the line isn't straight and the crack is on one side of the bead hole and not in the middle where the glass is the thinnest.
I agree.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-02-15, 4:33pm
Light My Torch

I just did a batch of beads using some of the thoughts. I will see if any of them make a difference. I'm going to try doing a bead with out the ss. Then that will tell me if it is the silver or the glass. I'm not encase with clear, it's the transparent glass. I will have to look to see which glass company it came from.
thanks
for all of the help
jeri