Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-03-21, 4:31pm

Default 1/4" Mandrels

I've searched the forum and can't seem to find the answer to where do you purchase 1/4" mandrels. I've found 1/4" hollow/tube mandrels - is this what most people use vs. solid mandrels?

Thanks!
Debra
Old 2010-03-21, 4:40pm
Tweedle Dumb

Yep hollow. then you can blow shards with your mandrel too... and they would be pretty heavy if they were solid.... I suppose you could use solid though. I get them from sundanceartglass.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-03-21, 5:37pm
as in the state

I have both, but I prefer using the hollow mandrels. They aren't as heavy, and you can do things that JamieLynne mentioned--blowing shards, or even blowing ornaments or vessels like Tink's.

When you coat your hollow ones in bead release, be sure to put your finger over the hole at the top so the bead release doesn't go inside. Blow it out and then let it dry. I find air drying is best-- you don't want to be creating steam that travels up the pipe and burns you!

-Amy
Old 2010-03-21, 6:03pm
Glass-aholic

I use the hollows. the weight would be heavy heavy if they were solid.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-03-21, 6:36pm

Thank you so much! I just ordered them.
Old 2010-03-21, 6:38pm
Hobby Junkie

I use both. I have more solid ones because I found them cheap on an industrial metals website. I had them cut and ground to 12 inches. They cost me less than a dollar a piece. The hollows would have been 3x as much. The weight doesn't bother me at all.

Old 2010-03-21, 7:19pm
Dangerous Woman

I got the solid ones cheap at Ace Hardware.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-03-21, 8:59pm
Alaska Boro

Have been using 1/4 inch 304 stainless at 10 inches long. Our local steel supplier has 304 stainless in twelve foot lengths for $6.32. Perhaps less costly in the lower 48. They are also a good source for 3/16 at $4.48 per 12 foot length. Use a chop saw to cut up and then grid down the ends to remove the burs.

They do need more heat to melt it all round, but that is just part of the process.
Old 2010-03-21, 9:23pm
as in the state

Quote:
Originally Posted by playswithfire104 View Post
I got the solid ones cheap at Ace Hardware.
At Ace? Really? What were they selling them as?

-Amy
Old 2010-03-21, 9:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Phantom View Post
At Ace? Really? What were they selling them as?

-Amy
There is a section where they have threaded rod and square tubing and steel rod and some pieces of steel. That's where you'll find them. I buy the ones that are 3' long and cut them with a cutoff saw then grind the edges a bit so there are no burrs on them. They might have shorter pieces in the rack but I usually just get the longer ones and cut them down. They have brass rod, too. I just bought a piece but haven't cut it yet into my 'tools' (pokers and such).

Lowe's has this type of metal, and so does Home Depot. I would imagine that most hardware stores will have this, but I know I've bought it at all three places.
Tina

Old 2010-03-21, 9:59pm
as in the state

Well, I'm living out in BFE and we actually have an Ace hardware in town. I will have to check out their metal inventory and see if they do have it here!

-Amy
Old 2010-03-21, 10:33pm

One of the best things about Ace Hardware is you can ask anyone in the store to help and they are happy to do it and they know where things are. And they don't laugh at me when I try to explain what I want to do with whatever I'm looking for (because it isn't what it was designed for in the first place!).

On that note. . . threaded rod (mine is about3/8" diameter and 12" long) makes the BEST rod rests. It's especially good for stringer since the groves keep it in place.
Tina

Old 2010-03-22, 9:28am
Dangerous Woman

I love me some Ace Hardware! They are the best! They actually didn't have the 1/4 inch rod in stock and had to order them for me. Since they didn't think they could sell the rest I had to buy the whole order - 3 three ft rods. I think I paid something like $15 to $18 for them. Since they sell on websites for $5 a 12 in piece I thought it was quite the bargin. And yeah I used my dremal with a cut off wheel and ground the edges smooth. Actually if I remember correctly my dad wanted to be my shop monkey for a day so he did it for me. He was so sweet - he said that he knew I was busy getting ready for shows and didn't want to take my time away from that. So in order to spend the day with me he asked to be my shop monkey! Too bad DH didn't want to do that too I could use one on a regular basis!

Old 2010-03-22, 5:27pm

The rod that ace sells is an alloy called "mild steel". Most mandrels are made of stainless steel. Just keep it away from super oxidizing flames and youll be fine. Think cutting torch. Ace is really expensive for metal stock. Just look in the phone book for welders and ask them where they get their stock.

Old 2010-03-22, 6:06pm
as in the state

Ace has welding supplies as well. I will wander around when I'm in the market for mandrels.

I don't really need any at the moment.

But keep in mind, sometimes it's worth it to pay a little extra $$ rather than drive all over creation for a few things here and there. I live out in BFE (closest actual welding shop is 60 miles away...as are Home Depot and WalMart) so, I like to know if I need things NOW where I might be able to get them without spending the whole day getting it done.

-Amy
Old 2010-03-30, 7:05am

Nancy you are so lucky to have your dad helping you in order to spend time with you. It sounds like it was a fun day.

I agree that it's better to use stainless but sometimes it's just hard to get to a welding shop. Also, when I sent my brother to buy stock for mandrels he spent $90! I won't have to buy a mandrel for years and years and years but still.....

I would rather use the hollow tubing than the metal rod for the larger beads because it's lighter in weight but sometimes that is hard to find (for me, anyway, since I hate going into the welding and metal shops since they treat me like an idiot when I go in without my brother with me. At least at Ace I can get something to try to see if I want to make larger hole beads.
Tina

Old 2010-03-30, 7:21am
ILERNTITBYWATCHINU

i went to my local welding shop and bought some 1/4 in. stainless steel rod. for me weight isn't an issue. i mostly make small to medium boro , a 1/4 in. mandrel always seems light in comparison.

Old 2010-03-30, 8:47am
Salt Box Beads

I make a lot of large beads and I go to the auto supply shops and buy brakeline. It is in lengths and different OD's. It is cheap ( not stainless) mild steel and it does last for quite a few annealings. It is also hollow, but very cheap.

I cut off the ends, cut into sections, clean up the ends, scrub the new rod sections up nice and clean, buff them a little with a fine nail block buffer and dip!

Lorraine
Old 2010-03-30, 9:45am
Dangerous Woman

Tina we did have a good day. I had him lableing my rods for me. But I forgot to tell him to lable them all at the very end. My rods had lables all over them! You know like in a note book how tabs are not all at the same plece? Well that must be what he was thinking! I never said a word and every now and then when I grab a rod with the lable in the middle I think of him.

And the welding shop I go to has two women that work there! There may be ones closer but I like do ing business with these ladies.

Old 2010-04-06, 9:01pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by playswithfire104 View Post
Tina we did have a good day. I had him lableing my rods for me. But I forgot to tell him to lable them all at the very end. My rods had lables all over them! You know like in a note book how tabs are not all at the same plece? Well that must be what he was thinking! I never said a word and every now and then when I grab a rod with the lable in the middle I think of him.

And the welding shop I go to has two women that work there! There may be ones closer but I like do ing business with these ladies.
What a great dad!

When my oxygen regulator quit working I found a repair shop in OKC (only 50 miles from me!) and the person who fixed it, in about 10 minutes, was a woman. It was great!
Tina

Old 2010-04-07, 3:48am
Unmedicated since '62

i use solid ones too - you get used to the weight, in fact when i go back to normal mandrels they feel really light

i bought mine in bulk from a stainless supplier and they cut them to size and ground the ends for me

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy