Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2010-10-01, 5:29pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Default My Studio...

I sort of cleaned up my studio before I go to California for a show and thought I would share pictures.Here goes...
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-10-01, 5:30pm

Nice!

PEACE ON EARTH
Old 2010-10-01, 5:55pm

Congratulations

Minor
Old 2010-10-01, 5:56pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Me likey! Especially those big windows!

Old 2010-10-01, 6:52pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Thanks! That fish tank is going... someday.It's totally in my way!!

Old 2010-10-02, 7:58am
Gentleman of Leisure

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-10-02, 11:45am
LunaMoth

Great place, lotsa room and light.
Have very much fun behind your torch!!!
Old 2010-10-02, 6:42pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post

Dale
What...? I am doing something unsafe here? Please enlighten.

Old 2010-10-02, 7:06pm
Gentleman of Leisure

For years the mantra in almost all glass forums is propane tanks outside....

IF you are in the US and if you have propane tank in a residence (attached garage is considered part of residence) it is illegal to use and store anything larger then 2 one pound cylinders.... You now have a 20 pound cylinder right next to you...

In case you are not aware if there is a leak, propane is a heavier than air gas to collects (pools) at floor level and if ignited expands 277 times it's volume instantly .... You have enough propane gas in that cylinder to completely level your studio if you have a leak and it ignites.

IF you are offshore from US propane rules are different and some countries actually do allow inside storage, BUT in the interest of pure safety the tank should be outside and the propane gas should be brought into studio through wall penetration using metallic piping....... Keeping tank outside and in case it does leak at least the air movement with nature allows the propane to dissipate and dissolve into atmosphere, contained in a room (studio) it nothing more than a bomb.

This information has been posted and repeated over and over and over.....

Suggest for more reading you go to "safety" section of forum and do search on "propane".

This would be a really good place to start....

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-10-03 at 8:42am.
Old 2010-10-02, 7:19pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Why didn't you just say so? I have only been a member of this forum for about a year so gimme a break Dale.Thanks for the link.I'll check it out.

Old 2010-10-03, 6:41am
honorary bead lady

Sheila, Because if Dale had a buck for everytime he has said it
Old 2010-10-03, 10:36am
Sheila Davis Designs

That's good that he is concerned with others safety, I just don't like to lectured!

Old 2010-10-03, 12:56pm
honorary bead lady

Bwahahahahahaha!
Old 2010-10-04, 8:04am
Gentleman of Leisure

Sigh.... Let see if I got this right.... It would be wrong not inform others of the dangers of propane...... But I was wrong to bring it to your attention....

Dale

Old 2010-10-04, 10:01am
Jeff

I play this game at work all the time. Almost none of my students respond well when we swoop in and yell at them for doing something that they didn't know was wrong.

I am similarly concerned that everyone use the proper safety precautions so that they may enjoy the art with minimal danger, and I'm glad you are willing to be the bad guy, but it seems like those lessons are better understood when the student is not already on the defensive.

I have to wonder if it took you longer to save that image and draw a nice yellow circle on it than it would have to write a quick response saying that the tank shouldn't be kept inside. . .
Old 2010-10-04, 10:35am
Gentleman of Leisure

Its been said maybe 100 different ways, maybe 500 difference times by 50 different people and there is always someone outraged no matter how its done.....

Dale

Old 2010-10-04, 11:06am
Jeff

Then I would say that we need to keep looking for that 101st way of saying it that doesn't piss people off.
Old 2010-10-04, 5:53pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Sigh.... Let see if I got this right.... It would be wrong not inform others of the dangers of propane...... But I was wrong to bring it to your attention....

Dale
No Dale...you were not wrong to bring it to my attention.I just don't appreciate your "bedside manner". The fact that it's been said "over and over and over" does not mean that everyone has read your posts.I don't spend alot of time in the Safety section of this forum.There are new people here on LE everyday.I, for one had never heard this.I have read Jim Kervins book(which by the way he says"reach down and turn your valve...")So...maybe it's time for an updated book about Lampworking for beginners?
In the meantime,my garage is not attached to the house so I'm not illegal and I turn my propane off everytime I step away from the torch.We are also going to install a propane detector like the one we had in our RV and eventually,yes... put it outside.

Old 2010-10-04, 5:54pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkroomdweller6 View Post
I play this game at work all the time. Almost none of my students respond well when we swoop in and yell at them for doing something that they didn't know was wrong.

I am similarly concerned that everyone use the proper safety precautions so that they may enjoy the art with minimal danger, and I'm glad you are willing to be the bad guy, but it seems like those lessons are better understood when the student is not already on the defensive.

I have to wonder if it took you longer to save that image and draw a nice yellow circle on it than it would have to write a quick response saying that the tank shouldn't be kept inside. . .
THANK YOU!!

Old 2010-10-05, 9:15am
LunaMoth

I talked to my hummie about it and it's really alowed in the Netherlands to keep the gastank in the house (even bigger than the 5 kilo's I use). But to be on the save side, Amerika is bigger, more people: we're going to make a whole in the wall and put the gastank outside, out of the sun, in the shade.

And it's never easy to please everyone, but a piece of cake to piss everybody off (just read that at facebook).....

I got the same warning when I showed my burningshack, and I was pleased somebody told me and suprised because it's not forbidden here.
Old 2010-10-28, 5:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila D. View Post
No Dale...you were not wrong to bring it to my attention.I just don't appreciate your "bedside manner". The fact that it's been said "over and over and over" does not mean that everyone has read your posts.I don't spend alot of time in the Safety section of this forum.There are new people here on LE everyday.I, for one had never heard this.I have read Jim Kervins book(which by the way he says"reach down and turn your valve...")So...maybe it's time for an updated book about Lampworking for beginners?
In the meantime,my garage is not attached to the house so I'm not illegal and I turn my propane off everytime I step away from the torch.We are also going to install a propane detector like the one we had in our RV and eventually,yes... put it outside.
In the hope of NOT pissing anyone off the book does not need to be updated because it states on page 26 under Safty Note. Storing your propane tank outside is a really good idea and in the same paragraph it states that NFPA 58 states that propane should be stored outdoors at least five feet from a source of ignition and no closer than three feet from an opening struture.