Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2020-08-27, 8:56pm

Default Black soot?

I am brand new to lampworking, I have a fireworks head and have been using mapp gas. On many colors im seeing them get covered in something like black soot while i try to work them. Ive tried further from the torch face and closer, turning up and down the gas but i still see it. Im sure its so.ething simple im doing wrong, but any ideas to help me out?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 2020-08-28, 2:52am
Phill

Aye, I have a number of beads from my beginning days that had the same thing.

It is actually from working the bead too close to the torch face.

You have to remember that that torch draws in room air (which is why is makes so much noise btw) to mix with the fuel gas to burn it.

If your bead gets too close to the torch face the fuel hasn't had time to mix with the oxygen in the air and burn so the fuel gas gets splattered on the face of your bead and gets trapped on the surface.

So, long story short; make sure you hold the bead further away from the torch.

You may not be able to see the blue cone of the flame what with lighting and what ever color your bench top is but you want to heat the glass an eighth of an inch or more past the tip of blue cone.

I got something dark to put under the flame so I could see it better when I was beginning with a hot head torch.
(another by the way here) Most people find that particular torch really is one of the worst ones you can melt glass with. And the tank will get supper cold and may even freeze up on you and only let you burn for a half our before acting like it has run out of fuel.

Welcome to the Addiction.
Be sure to lock up your retirement fund and your grand parents silver because you can wind up spending a whole lot of money in a hurry and often before you figure out what is worth buying and what is a waste of you cash.

Use the search function here and also the secondary search for each conversation thread as well.
You'll find the 2nd one just above the post number labeled "Search This Thread".
That will save time because you won't be searching the entire website.
The software that drives this site is kind of old so have patience with it.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2020-08-28 at 2:43pm.
Old 2020-08-28, 6:43am

Thank you for all the information. Ill definitely have to see where I've been working and make sure I try to work further away. And keep an eye on that tank and torch like you said.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk