Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-10-23, 8:31am

Default Effetre is Lead Free!

I was asked the other day about lead content in Effetre glass. I confirmed with Effetre that there is no lead used in Effetre glass rod production. This makes it safe for so many applications like fused plates for eating, blown glass for drinking and jewelry for body piercing to name a few. But I warn you that when hot it will burn and a when handled incorrectly it can make you bleed.
But I am pretty sure you know about the latter two.....from experience!

Mike

Frantz Art Glass Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Torch Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206
Old 2009-11-03, 4:17pm
Formerly FishBulb

Mike, that is good to know. Thank you for checking!

Does that include the Metallic Black? I've wondered which metal makes the "metallic" effect.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2009-11-03, 5:04pm

What about Rubino?

Robert
Old 2009-11-03, 5:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBulb View Post
Mike, that is good to know. Thank you for checking!

Does that include the Metallic Black? I've wondered which metal makes the "metallic" effect.
Manganese

Robert
Old 2009-11-04, 7:12pm

Since you brought it up, I did some searching on google about lead in glass and found that Lauscha also is lead free. Bullseye glass is mostly lead free except for Rubino gold and pink.

I wonder if CIM is lead free or not? I love all the colors of CIM but the lead content is starting to worry me.

I'm so glad Effetre is lead free!
Old 2009-11-04, 8:07pm
Formerly FishBulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimmons View Post
Manganese

Robert
Thank you!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2009-11-07, 2:18pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadDesignsByCarol View Post

I wonder if CIM is lead free or not? I love all the colors of CIM but the lead content is starting to worry me.
I e-mailed Kathy to find out, hopefully I'll get a response or she will just follow the link and post here.
Old 2009-11-07, 4:04pm

thanks, David!

I did read that the concern is mostly for children 6 or under that might put beads into their mouths.

If you find out anything else, please let me know.
Old 2009-11-09, 7:13am

The CPSIA regulations governing lead are for children under 12 years of age. Lead in or on a glass surface is a major issue. See next paragraph:

"The limits on the amount of lead in children’s products are phased in over the course of three years. By February 10, 2009, products designed or intended primarily for children 12 and younger may not contain more than 600 ppm of lead. Children’s products that contain more lead than 600 ppm are banned in the U.S. after February 10, 2009, and the sale of those products can result in significant civil and criminal liability. The statute provides that paint, coatings or electroplating may not be considered a barrier that would make the lead content of a product inaccessible to a child. After 1 year from enactment, or August 14, 2009, products designed or intended primarily for children 12 and younger cannot contain more than 300 ppm of lead. The limit goes down to 100 ppm after three years, or August 14, 2011, unless the Commission determines that it is not technologically feasible to have this lower limit.

Just remember, even if the companies have reformulated all of their glass to exclude lead, there is still a lot of Rubino and other glass out there in studios and stores that has lead in it. IMHO it'll be while before one can safely assume that glass (that once contained lead) purchased now was made after the reformulation date.

Robert
Old 2009-12-30, 1:56pm
into the fire

According to Gaffer website theirs does have it -like @28% !! It is a surprising amount I guess I wont use Gaffer
Old 2009-12-30, 3:26pm

Default Metals in glass

One point everyone should keep in mind. All glass is colored with metals and metal salts. Many of the metals used for coloring agents are the same ones used in artists pigment. While toxicity for most of these metals is significantly less than lead, some are still fairly toxic, especially when heated to temperatures sufficiently high to volatilize them. Even if lead is not present it is still a good idea to have adequete ventilation and not eat in the studio.
Old 2009-12-30, 6:35pm
I'd rather be torching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by absinthestudio View Post
According to Gaffer website theirs does have it -like @28% !! It is a surprising amount I guess I wont use Gaffer
Why? do you make beads primarily for children 12 and under?
Does anyone? How much will that rule affect us lampworkers?

I understand the personal safety aspect side of not wanting to use glass that has lead in it, or being very careful when you do.

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.
~Twyla Tharp
I know where I am. I've been lost here before.
Old 2009-12-30, 9:07pm
Ambivitreous

I'm happy to see this information being posted.

Although well-intentioned, the CPSC regs seem pretty ham-handed in some repects, and it could be difficult if not impossible for small businesses to meet the requirements (for instance making sure components like findings are lead free). I'd be interested in hearing what anyone else is doing about compliance.

Rockin' 2 Nortel Red Maxes with Mega Minor topfires on natural gas & 6 EX-15s with my glass accomplice Lisa F-R
Old 2009-12-30, 10:25pm

lead is part of what gives your crystal clear colors too.. I think as long as you warn customer's that there's ## of lead in it, it should be their choice..

Facebook

Blogger
Old 2009-12-31, 5:59am
Jamaican Me Crazy

Compounds Colors
iron oxides..................... greens, browns
manganese oxides ...........deep amber, amethyst, decolorizer
cobalt oxide ....................deep blue
gold chloride ....................ruby red
selenium compounds ..........reds
carbon oxides ...................amber/brown
mix of mangnese, cobalt, iron...... black
antimony oxides .......................white
uranium oxides ......................yellow green (glows!)
sulfur compounds ....................amber/brown
copper compounds ..................light blue, red
tin compounds ........................white
lead with antimony................... yellow
just a few other things commonly found in glass. Not really your customers at risk but You, when melting it and breathing in these chems

Last edited by woodywood143; 2009-12-31 at 6:05am. Reason: add
Old 2009-12-31, 10:39am

I think that is why we use ventilation. REally now most of us don't make products for consumption nor are we waking products for children. The risk are mostly to us and we should be using some sort of personal protection.

Old 2009-12-31, 11:25am
boro color bender

I'd be super careful before i said any glass company had a product that was lead free... making those claims sounds retro active... and I know Robert ran a test that showed lead as the main substance on the surface of rubino when it was reduced... just more information Mike... they may not be including lead now... and it's possible that the glass Robert tested was vetrofond... but lead is a common ingredient... has effetre ever used lead?

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-12-31, 6:23pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimmons View Post
What about Rubino?

Robert
Gold as far as i know

what about lead crystal - I thought it was safe to drink out of?

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy

Last edited by PerfectDeb; 2009-12-31 at 6:25pm.
Old 2010-01-01, 8:04am

Quote:
Originally Posted by absinthestudio View Post
It's what gives the glass that gorgeous sparkle. Same as with Swarovski-Brand crystals (they're leaded as well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
Gold as far as i know

It's safe to drink out of, but NOT to store liquid or food in (ie: don't store your wine or any alcohol in a lead crystal decanter--pour it in for an evening's display, pour it at dinner, then pour it back in the bottle for storage, DON'T leave stuff in the bottle because "it looks pretty") When you see that in a movie, if it's *real* lead crystal, it can be leaching little %'s of lead over time into your drink. Small, but there. How dangerous? Who really knows? (They tell you that if you ever had a "Princess House Crystal Party"-- I did that in the 80's to get some dishware--I've still got the stuff--it's pretty )

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2010-01-02, 5:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
Gold as far as i know

There is a vanishingly small amount of gold in Rubino, not enough to be measured by X-ray microanalysis. I couldn't even find traces, though it may be below my detection limits (pretty low). The metallic surface is a very thin layer of lead. I tested 3 different Rubino glasses (all the same color number - Effetre 456) including some that I bought from Mike in Tucson a while back. Remember that lead is not a color agent - it is primarily a flux. Other metals are used for color, zinc being fairly common in glasses that reduce to a silvery surface.

Lead crystal can contain up to 35% lead oxide as a flux. The lead changes the refractive index and color dispersion of the glass, giving it that colorful sparkly look. It is absolutely safe to drink out of.

The problem with lead in glasses used to make beads, especially with a reduction surface is described above in my post about the CPSC and the CPSIA.

If Effetre doesn't use lead any more, when did they drop it? How much of the leaded glass is still on store shelves?

Robert
Old 2010-01-02, 5:53pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

If they aren't using lead as a flux, what are they using? Antimony? Arsenic? Lithium? I think I'd rather have the lead. Glass is not non-toxic even if it's lead free.

Old 2010-01-02, 6:57pm

The most commonly used fluxes for soft glass are sodium and/or potassium compounds, hence the name soda lime glass. These are easily identified in an X-ray analyser. You will occasionally find antimony or arsenic in colored glass, but unless you expose them to pretty extreme conditions these elements are safely bound into the matrix of the glass and are harmless.

One interesting point, though. If you generate a metallic reduction surface and then 'melt it in' again to return to the normal glass color, what is really happening? It's likely that you are actually vaporizing the metal from the surface rather than returning it to the original oxide compound form. You can regenerate the metallic surface in a reduction flame, but this is probably pulling more metals from deeper in the glass surface. Vaporizing metals in your torch plume is another good reason to be sure that you've got good ventilation.

Robert