No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-06-20, 11:28am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin' Francesca View Post
Yes, I do think that's a little different and somewhat disrespectful. It involves copying a design not just trying to learn a technique. I think there is a distinction there, but sometimes simple questions do elicit an over-reaction that seems disproportionate to the issue involved.
I agree.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-06-20, 11:50am

I haven't read this entire thread, but the technique done is basically called "pleating". There are MANY different ways to pleat. Probably as many different ways to pleat as there are people who do it. Michael Barley gives his own little twist on how to do it. There are threads here in LE that talk freely about how to do it. I would imagine that we all know how to do it except for a newbie.

Jeannie

Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. (Max Ehrmann)
Old 2011-06-20, 11:59am

There have been threads here where people were reverse engineering someone's bead. They just didn't ask a simple question and got their "knuckles severely wrapped". They were picking apart someone's bead and trying to reverse engineer it. I find that disrespectful. Did they email the artist? No. They just posted here and tried to pick it apart.[/quote]

Wow Amy I am amazed at how seriously you take you position as a self appointed monitor.
However as far as the thread Lynne and I are referring to, there certainly was no disrespect intended and in fact I have discussed this issue in person with the artist and no disrespect was received.
Your remarks are tinged with presumption, almost prejudice.
There is nothing wrong with wondering how someone arrives at a certain technique that we all admire, in fact emulation is the most sincere form of flattery and can't possibly threaten the admired artist. Our art form has evolved over many years and that evolution inevitably includes emulation. Your self proclaimed protection of artists who don't need and have not asked for your protection smacks of aggression.
Old 2011-06-20, 12:10pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByCher View Post
Hi everyone! Happy Wednesday!! This is a bead by Astrid Riedel. What I was wondering is how to make the "lined" part that swirls around the bead? If someone can tell me, or point me to an appropriate tutorial? I was looking at SE4, does that have instructions for something like this? Thanks for any info
Okay people get a grip! She asked if there was a tutorial available and several have been mentioned for her to buy!!! We've all made mistakes in asking for help when new myself included. This has been covered enough. Let's not drive a potentially nice future contributor to the art away. I'm sure the lesson is learned at this point.
Old 2011-06-20, 12:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lldesigns View Post
Okay people get a grip! She asked if there was a tutorial available and several have been mentioned for her to buy!!! We've all made mistakes in asking for help when new myself included. This has been covered enough. Let's not drive a potentially nice future contributor to the art away. I'm sure the lesson is learned at this point.
I couldn't agree more. I would just like to know what "mistake" she made?
Old 2011-06-20, 12:20pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen Isaacs View Post

Wow Amy I am amazed at how seriously you take you position as a self appointed monitor.
However as far as the thread Lynne and I are referring to, there certainly was no disrespect intended and in fact I have discussed this issue in person with the artist and no disrespect was received.
Your remarks are tinged with presumption, almost prejudice.
There is nothing wrong with wondering how someone arrives at a certain technique that we all admire, in fact emulation is the most sincere form of flattery and can't possibly threaten the admired artist. Our art form has evolved over many years and that evolution inevitably includes emulation. Your self proclaimed protection of artists who don't need and have not asked for your protection smacks of aggression.
Substitute "copying" for "emulation" and it doesn't sound quite as flattering. Copying is disrespectful. Reverse engineering someone's bead so you can copy it is disrespectful.

I'm not referring to the OP in this thread - I am referring to the same thing you are.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-06-20, 12:30pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Asking how something is done when it's available in a tutorial for purchase is a big no-no. Artists are very touchy regarding even potential copying which is understandable when they've spent literally years honing their techniques. The other problem is posting someone's bead which is exactly the mistake I made. She's been pointed in the right direction and hopefully that will be the end of it.
Old 2011-06-20, 12:31pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Asking how something is done when it's available in a tutorial for purchase is a big no-no. Artists are very touchy regarding even potential copying which is understandable when they've spent literally years honing their techniques. The other problem is posting someone's bead which is exactly the mistake I made. She's been pointed in the right direction and hopefully that will be the end of it.
Unless they don't know a tutorial is available or are asking to be pointed to one if there is one

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2011-06-20, 12:32pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Unless they don't know a tutorial is available or are asking to be pointed to one if there is one
Exactly.
Old 2011-06-20, 12:36pm
Keep on keepin' on...

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. I would just like to know what "mistake" she made?
Me too! This is why I don't post, because of stuff like this. What mistake did she make so I won't make it either.
Old 2011-06-20, 12:38pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Is this really melodrama worthy? Really?

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2011-06-20, 12:46pm

Quote:
Substitute "copying" for "emulation" and it doesn't sound quite as flattering. Copying is disrespectful. Reverse engineering someone's bead so you can copy it is disrespectful.

I'm not referring to the OP in this thread - I am referring to the same thing you are.
Hmm then i suppose you are calling about 99% of the glass makers of 2011 disrepectful??
Old 2011-06-20, 12:49pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Hmm then i suppose you are calling about 99% of the glass makers of 2011 disrepectful??
You're being obtuse.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2011-06-20, 12:50pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Careful, squidly. Soon you'll be accused of being disrespectful, and probably mean.

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2011-06-20, 12:51pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

SSDD.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2011-06-20, 12:53pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
Careful, squidly. Soon you'll be accused of being disrespectful, and probably mean.
But she is disrespectful and mean. That's why we love her - she tells it like it is!

Oh and she's really good at finding stuff!
Old 2011-06-20, 12:53pm
Storm Queen

My remarks were not directed at the OP but rather to Lynne and Carmen. It has to do with something that happened long ago that they felt the need to bring up in this thread. I just thought it was hilarious that they compared this thread to the reverse engineering of someone's work that they contributed to. No, the drama isn't necessary but I'm just wondering why they felt the need to bring it up at all.

Last edited by AKDesigns; 2011-06-20 at 12:56pm. Reason: grammar
Old 2011-06-20, 12:54pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
But she is disrespectful and mean. That's why we love her - she tells it like it is!

Oh and she's really good at finding stuff!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2011-06-20, 12:56pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
My remarks were not directed at the OP but rather to Lynne and Carmen. It has to do with something that happened long ago that they felt the need to bring up in this thread. I just thought it was hilarious that they compared this thread to the reverse engineering of someone's work that they contributed to. No, the drama isn't necessary but I'm just wondering why they felt the need to bring it up at all.
For dramatic purposes, of course.

Last edited by chrissij; 2011-06-20 at 1:00pm. Reason: 'cause Amy editted hers...
Old 2011-06-20, 1:00pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
Sorry Amy I wasn't directing anything at you but at the responses in general. It was getting a little heavy and needed some lightening up. I don't know what it is with this place but it seems to thrive on drama. Imagine that...
Old 2011-06-20, 1:01pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Quote:
Old 2011-06-20, 1:02pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Sorry Amy I wasn't directing anything at you but at the responses in general. It was getting a little heavy and needed some lightening up. I don't know what it is with this place but it seems to thrive on drama. Imagine that...
I just wanted the OP to know that I wasn't going off on her.

Old 2011-06-20, 1:24pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I'd rather have that people would drop me a note and ask me how something is done. If I'm in a good mood, I'll share. If not, then I would politely say "ain't sharing"

But I'd never ever would be offended if I was asked personally. I would feel respected by that person, because they took the time to ask me myself.

Old 2011-06-20, 3:58pm
Still makin' flowers...

You know, the OP did ASK if there was a tutorial she could purchase at the very beginning of this thread. She offered to pay for the information, and if the original artist had written the tutorial, my bet is that her cash would have gone immediately to that artist. Seems like the original 6 posts covered everything necessary.

--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!
Old 2011-06-20, 3:59pm
Happy Beadmaker!

Lots of us -- even old-timers -- feel squeamish at raising our heads 'bove the weedline in case we get shot down. But......

We need to remember that PERCEPTION of who's first and/or who owns what is just an ILLUSION.

The PERCEPTION that someone wrote a tutorial 'bout SOMETHING doesn't mean someone else wasn't already doing the same dang thing somewhere PREVIOUSLY.

The only truth is whomever just now happened to announce it to the world (or LE) while the other person just DID it without such announcements. Doesn't necessarily mean that the loudest one OWNS it or was even first.

Let's just all cut each other some slack, my friends! Go make happy beads and just be glad we're all in this together.

~
~
~
Old 2011-06-20, 4:18pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea Zinke View Post
Lots of us -- even old-timers -- feel squeamish at raising our heads 'bove the weedline in case we get shot down. But......

We need to remember that PERCEPTION of who's first and/or who owns what is just an ILLUSION.

The PERCEPTION that someone wrote a tutorial 'bout SOMETHING doesn't mean someone else wasn't already doing the same dang thing somewhere PREVIOUSLY.

The only truth is whomever just now happened to announce it to the world (or LE) while the other person just DID it without such announcements. Doesn't necessarily mean that the loudest one OWNS it or was even first.

Let's just all cut each other some slack, my friends! Go make happy beads and just be glad we're all in this together.

This!

Old 2011-06-20, 4:23pm

This 2
Quote:

Old 2011-06-20, 4:38pm
Bad Cat Glass

THIS!

Quote:

Old 2011-06-20, 4:48pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Quote:
You're being obtuse.

well put.

as my eyes were getting wider and wider I got a good belly laugh.

thank you ( and in case this is misread as sarcastic I mean it seriously, thank you for saying it like it is).

Lighten up ya'all.....

namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-06-20, 5:44pm

Quote:
Exactly! I posted a picture asking about the same technique quite some time ago, it was a bead by Gemsinbloom, beautiful bead. She also posted it was her bead and answered my question as well as several others, which really was where to find the information and what it was called. There was certainly not this drama at all. I don't understand how the original poster was suppose to find the technioque or tutorials if she didn't know what it was called.....And she just happened to show one of Astrid's beads, but the technique it's self is used by many bead makers. Exactly how did anyone expect her to find out what it was called without a picture?
The saddest thing I am getting is that this isn't really even about this thread but maybe something that happened a some time ago. And even sadder is that it has made myself and very sure many others think twice about asking any questions on here or by PM. Thought that was the purpose of this room??
Just a little helpful advice for the OP, if you are looking for a tutorial for a technique look at the bottom of the beadmaker's post, sometimes there will be a link for their etsy, or tutorial page. You could keep checking until you find someone that is using the technique that has a tutorial.