Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-02-13, 5:59pm

It's been a while since I've been on here.

Anyway, I've been working on the tailstock. Next comes the chucks and assembling the headstock. I am going to do the headstock first and get it working so I know what to expect from the tailstock, which will be harder to get perfect. I will also have a semi-functioning lathe once I get the headstock done. This week, I'm going to cast the braces for the headstock and machine the chucks to size. This has to be done first so I know what size to make the holes on the braces. Pictures coming soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-14, 2:55pm

I've thought about how one might make a glass lathe and here's my take. The stresses involved are way less than turning metal, and converting a metal or wood lathe seems less than optimum. I'd have a look at the offerings from a company like MiniTec, 80/20 or Bausch, who all make aluminum extrusions. The MiniTec catalog shows all sorts of configurations using standard parts. All sorts of industrial setups are made from this stuff. It's not cheap, but in the grand scheme of things it might prove to be very economical compared to alternatives, and very flexible from a design standpoint. I'd build the lathe frame with that, then figure out how to sync the chucks, either mechanically or servo. My guess is that minor sync errors would be pretty serious, resulting in large pieces of glass turning into smaller ones.

Best,
Conrad
Old 2011-02-14, 6:25pm

I got a lot of advice to use servos, but I decided not for exactly that reason. Even a degree every 10 minutes would be noticeable. Pictures tomorrow!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-12, 12:20am

I received the bearings I ordered on Ebay today. $30 for 4 things that are normally $65 a piece.

Here are some pics. They are Nachi 6016 2NSL bearings made in Japan.

125mm od x 80mm id x 22mm thick= about 5 in od x 3 1/8 id x 7/8in thick

Old 2011-03-12, 1:57pm

Mmmm, big, strong like bull
Old 2011-03-12, 5:06pm

Well, I don't really understand anything on this thread - but its really interesting

Old 2011-03-12, 5:25pm

Though inaccessible to me on my dial-up, there are some fantastic videos on u-tube showing how glass lathes are used. A search should turn them up easily. Glass lathes are almost indispensable for scientific glass work.

CH
Old 2011-12-11, 5:19pm

I am not currently working on my lathe, but I want to share the designs I have made. See the first post for a link to them.

Old 2011-12-12, 8:03am

This is my lathe, it's hard to find any glassblowing lathes over here, not to mention large ones (this thing is a beast), and freight from overseas is a killer so it was heaps cheaper to convert a metal lathe for the purpose. Works beautifully!

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2011-12-28, 11:09am

I currently and working on my own lathe projects. Have stuff at the cnc machine shop curently so once they are back i will start my own thread but kudos to you for building your own as well. Im curious why you made the choice to use a non supported linear rail? Also check out vxb.com they sell a lot of large bearings and linear compontets for a good price. Would love to see more pics of your current progress. The two machines i am building will have a capacity of 75mm on the smaller and 120mm on the larger.

As far as buying a glass lathe for 1500 thats pretty unrealistic. My first cost me $7200. A nice set of scroll chucks can run 2-3k. So picking up a lathe for 1500 might be doable but probably without chucks or really small with no pass through size of relevance or will be plain beat to shit and out of tollerance.
Old 2012-01-09, 5:55am

VertigoGlass over on talkglass.com is doing what your doing. Might want to read up or contact and collab? Just noticed, thought I would share, GL

Chad

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42116