Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2014-03-02, 8:12am
Christine

Default Striking Boro Colors on OxyCons and Natural Gas

Is it possible to get Amber Purple or Double Amber Purple or any of that type of striking boro glass to actually strike decently using OxyCons and Natural Gas? I also have a gas booster with the OxyCons. I heat the crap out of it and cool down and reintroduce to flame - but I still don't get any decent striking. Any suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-03-02, 8:21am

are you keeping that haze burnt off? are you getting the a/p hot enough to go clear?

just make a small paddle out of dap (if you have it..it's the easiest imo). heat a gather until it's clear....smash it into a paddle. let it cool until the glow is gone and then wave it in the back of your flame...you should see color bloom.
Old 2014-03-02, 10:42am

Are you able to work it VERY hot in an oxidizing atmosphere? That is needed to get the best from these colors. That is generally difficult to do with small medical concentrators.
Old 2014-03-02, 3:56pm
Melting

I don't know about the natural gas but I have oxycons and get silver colors to strike. I burn off all the haze and get them very hot, then let them cool quite a bit before reintroducing gently to the flame. I found when I was unable to strike it was because I was not cooling enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2014-03-03, 8:06am

I've worked with NG and OxyCons for years. No boosters. For small beads I have no problem. The bigger you go from there the problems start. There is a lot you can do with this setup but you will be limited when it comes to silver colors. I've made 1 by 5 in. perfume bottles but don't try to get the colors to strike as I can't keep the haze off. I also made marbles fine up to about 1 1/4 in. I just went to propane and what a difference! Had no idea it would be so much hotter.

Btw I'm using 2 M-20's at 6800 ft. Monument CO

Last edited by Rose; 2014-03-03 at 8:09am.