Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-03-06, 4:15pm

Default Kiln question

My friend has a Paragon kiln that he uses for jewelry making - the gold and silver kind. He has never done glass beads and is perplexed as to whether his kiln can be programmed to cool down 100 degrees ever hour as needed. Anyone have a Paragon that can give advice?
Old 2008-03-06, 5:08pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

It would depend on what type of controller he has. Do you know if he has a digital controller?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-03-06, 8:41pm
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

finding out what kind of controls it has will help.infi switch ? programable controller ? cone fired ?

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2008-03-06, 8:49pm
as in the state

I have a paragon caldera that I initiallly started with. It has a programmable controller, and I believe can be used for lost wax casting of jewelry as well as glass stuff. It's all mentioned in the owner's manual.

I'm having issues with a "cplr" error when I plug it in, which means that the temp inside the kiln is higher than the temp that the controller is at (so I get the error when I first turn it on) so, I need to check into that....

I'm going to bet that the Paragon would work, but the programmable controller would be a bonus. Just be sure it's at correct temp, etc. as you would any other kiln.

-Amy
Old 2008-03-10, 3:30pm

Sorry about the delay, I forgot to check back here for replies. I saw it today and it is digitally programable. We were looking in the instruction guide for help and may have figured it out but he's still not sure if it can be programmed to self adjust down each hour or not. I think I remember it said Sentry on it as well. Ring any bells??
Old 2008-03-10, 4:57pm
Born Facing Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrssquigg View Post
Sorry about the delay, I forgot to check back here for replies. I saw it today and it is digitally programable. We were looking in the instruction guide for help and may have figured it out but he's still not sure if it can be programmed to self adjust down each hour or not. I think I remember it said Sentry on it as well. Ring any bells??
Probably the Orton Sentry, so it should be able to do a ramp down with no problem.

Old 2008-03-11, 11:46am

I use the Sierra PMC kiln which is very similar to the Paragon. I was able to order a bead door for it and retrofit it. I set it to annealing temperature to hold 4-5 hours (thats a full session for me). Then when I put in my last bead I time it for 30 minutes, turn it off after that (leave the digital display on if you want to know the temperature) and it cools slowly enough that I have never had to set it to ramp down. I bought one of those little two tiered kiln mandrel holders so I can rest each bead on that. Works wonderfully and holds about 15 beads with no crowding. Before I got my new door I just batch annealed in it.