Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2005-06-26, 10:54pm
I'm a lilac!

Maybe we shouldn't have had those margaritas before starting? I think we're going in circles...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-06-26, 11:27pm

Oh.. sorry I was paddling the wrong direction!

Ohh.. wouldnt that be so nice to get away for a while??
Old 2005-06-26, 11:54pm
I'm a lilac!

Yeah... right now I just come here and I'm "away" in my imagination...

Old 2005-06-29, 12:45am
Teagirl

Once it stops raining for the summer and before the colder winter rain sets in I'll try to get a photo of the entire sh*d complex including the finished 'henge.

I'm here in my mind often too! Fortunately it's not a long trip because brain fatigue is not my friend.

-Su

'Modern glass - Ancient roots'
Old 2005-07-15, 10:08am

Absolutely Incredible! Thanks for sharing! I find it so interesting! I would love to hear more about it! Jill
Old 2005-07-15, 10:28am
Yup.

SU! You should hook yourself up with a torch and shed right next to Mike's. That way you can buy an OxyGen and share hookups... without having to share space! (I know I can't stand it when my husband lurks in my studio when I'm working.) You know you want to torch... There will be no glass widows in your house... nay, boat!

JC

~
~
Old 2005-07-18, 1:18pm
Teagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHerrellGlass
SU! You should hook yourself up with a torch and shed right next to Mike's. That way you can buy an OxyGen and share hookups... without having to share space! (I know I can't stand it when my husband lurks in my studio when I'm working.) You know you want to torch... There will be no glass widows in your house... nay, boat!

JC
LOL. We just spent the weekend in Scarborough at a stunning place, a farm that's a stained glass workshop, B&B and also has a lampwork studio in it! We had to be chased away with brooms and the dogs were set on us to encourage us to leave one we'd paid our bill! Well, not really but we wanted to stay so much it hurt! Every room has stained glass windows or decorations. We talked to them about some stained glass overlays for the portholes on the boat, which will be so cool.

We don't have room for another shed, our landlord would have a cow if we did put up another shed. I am trying to gently convince Mike we need to just rent some studio space so there's room for us both. As we have two oxycons we could each have our own..... but he's not buying it yet. *sigh*

I won't give up. I want to melt glass! Waaaaah.

-Su

Old 2005-07-18, 1:20pm
Teagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Hoblick
Absolutely Incredible! Thanks for sharing! I find it so interesting! I would love to hear more about it! Jill
Thanks, Jill.

Among the many other things I keep planning to do is a page showing our travels aboard our boat. Now that I've managed to get our shopping cart working (which took a month and begging for help from everyone, and finally paying someone to fix it...) I have some free time which means I may actually get that page done!

ooh, was that a flying pig?

-Su

Old 2005-07-20, 8:37am
Resident Luny

Hooray for Sheds!

So, is untying like a casual idea for you guys? "Honey, feel like floating away today?" Do you make plans with destinations? Or just drift, as it were....

- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2005-07-20, 12:25pm
Teagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunesse
Hooray for Sheds!

So, is untying like a casual idea for you guys? "Honey, feel like floating away today?" Do you make plans with destinations? Or just drift, as it were....
It can be either. When Mike was teaching, we had the school holidays to travel in, the summer break in the UK is six weeks, which we'd normally use to travel from Manchester down through the Midlands, probably just short of Birmingham, up through Wales, over to Chester and maybe around Shropshire via the canals. You can stop anywhere that isn't a reserved mooring site, some places in very popular city areas restrict moorings to 24 or 48 hours but most places have a 2-week limit You untie, set off and stop somewhere else then. Mostly near pubs if you're of that sort, or out in the middle of nowhere if you want peace and quiet.

We've been from Manchester to London and back in a summer, with side-trips along the way, and we'll be back out doing that again next summer with any luck. This summer we're having an off-boat holiday to Cornwall instead.

Even on weekends we like to untie if the weather's good, travel a few miles (and locks) and tie up somewhere else just because we can.

-Su

Old 2007-01-31, 2:53am
Knows what a bubbler is!

Well, we're updating the info on the mooring and shed. Due to Mike's health issues with his feet, which have kept him from doing his regular profession of being an art teacher for almost three years, we're now unable to travel on the boat any longer, so it's up for sale, including the shed etc.

Anyone wanting a nice floating summer home in the UK, or anyone in the UK wanting a nice home for all year round, let us know. It does include Shedhenge, by the way.

-Su

Old 2007-02-01, 4:37pm
Eight Miles Wide

ooooo, so tempting! I'm sorry you have to move.

Old 2007-02-02, 4:57am
phrit phreak

I just found this thread...and called dh over and we enjoyed it together! We're so sorry to hear you have to move He wants to know if you guys fished off of it....him being an avid carp fisherman....and you being in England where that's a popular fish to fish for.

Lori

Old 2007-02-03, 4:47am
Knows what a bubbler is!

We have HUGE tame carp in our stretch of canal, a school of about 8 or 9. As the canal here is barely 3' deep at times, it was funny watching them feed as they'd have their heads in the mud and their tails waving out of the water trying to get into position. Every day around 5pm a whole pod of them (they looked like tiny whales) would cruise up and down our stretch of canal, and eat the bread we'd roll into little balls so it would sink.

Sadly, I think most of them are gone. We had a local influx of workers from some of the new EU countries who are employed at a factory alongside the canal, and they see carp as a cheap food source. The local angling club had to threaten the factory with a law suit as here in the UK it's a catch and release system, the hooks don't have barbs on them and anything you catch has to be put back in after weighing.

We haven't seen the biggest guys around in a while, I'm hoping they're just chilling during the winter but I doubt that's what has happened. *sigh* We get pike here too, not as big as a muskellunge but plenty of teeth. The water is so clear during the fall-spring seasons that any food we scrape off the plates that ends up in the canal just below the hatch is like a buffet for the fish. They love beans and pasta most.

We're sad to sell the boat but we accept that Mike's health simply means it's not an option for us now. We're hoping to find a small rental of some sort out higher up in the moorland, with a little cottage and perhaps an outbuilding for a studio. Fingers crossed!

As they say, one door closes another opens, just don't stand behind it or you might get smacked in the nose!

-Su

Old 2007-02-04, 6:01am
phrit phreak

awwwww you have dh ready to move....LOL!!! He always does catch and release.
xoxolori

Old 2007-02-04, 11:49am
Knows what a bubbler is!

I'll see if any of the guys are still around tomorrow, it's been cold so they usually just lie low.

Heavy frost for the last two days but the canal hasn't frozen yet, although it will before the month is over, February is always the worst month here.

It's still up for sale but we have someone coming for a viewing this week.

-Su

Old 2007-02-08, 12:35pm
Princess of Pi

it's adorable - I hope your new door opening leads you to something even happier