Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2013-04-04, 2:26pm
Dakine glass man

Default Boro in review

Ok so I have been having fun with the thread reviewing the experimental Morado. Also, Susan hooked me up with a pile of awesome colors to check out. I have decided to review all of these, one at a time (or together if I feel that applies) here in this thread. Here is the list of what I will be reviewing, once I finish these I'll keep going one company at a time. Over the next year or so we should have a pretty good amount of the colors on the market reviewed well.

1) funky citrus-ns
2) Mai tai green -tag
Bonus! Green Morado
Bonus! Peachy keen
3) pink #4-momka
4) crimson- tag
5) orchard plum -momka
6) a/p - tag
7) yellow Elvis- tag
kiwi slime- tag
9) purple cream soda-ga
10) exp amber- tag
11) andromeda- ga
12) xenon green-tag
13) sex on the beach-ga
14) cruela-ns
15) fuscia fantasy-ga
16) firefly - NS
1 mother green pearl-NS
19) exp green 5 - NS
20) blue leprechaun - tag
21) sugar daddy-NS
22) og ap - tag
23) dulce de leche - NS
24) super unobtanium - NS
25)crystal bliss-NS
26) tequila mixers-ga
27) opaque blue- tag
2 honey suckle - NS
29)Carmelo lite-tag
30) peach cove-tag
31) electric bronze-NS?
32) tigers eye- ga
33) starry night- ga
34) fools gold -ns

Actually I'll do them in that order so it's easier to find in the thread later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lampwork by John Lindquist

Last edited by Maui Greenstone; 2013-04-07 at 3:47pm.
Old 2013-04-04, 2:43pm
Dakine glass man

Talking

FUNKY CITRUS

Here we go rod before working
Attached Images

Old 2013-04-04, 2:51pm
Dakine glass man

Pulled stringer, this is obviously a striking color, you can tell because it completely washes out when heated
Attached Images

Old 2013-04-04, 3:31pm
Dakine glass man

Really disappears internally, makes me think I can get a good range here without having to thin with more clear

Old 2013-04-04, 4:53pm
Dakine glass man

Ok made a jelly stopper. Then I remembered that different clear gives different reaction. I like to use simax because it reacts the best with striking colors and silver. I made another jelly using Schott. This is the only color I'm doing double the work on so just know that my recommendation is to almost always use simax. Sometimes I'll use Schott as a final encasement, but only after everything's sunk deep in the simax. I have ran both through one cycle and am crashing now. Photos will come when cooled down in about 2 hours

Old 2013-04-04, 5:07pm

Looking forward to it.

Old 2013-04-04, 5:52pm
Dakine glass man

Ok left one is Schott and right one is simax. Look pretty close at this point. Now for strike #2
Attached Images

Old 2013-04-04, 5:53pm
Dakine glass man

Ok photo flipped on me... Top one simax, bottom one Schott

Old 2013-04-04, 8:44pm

John this thread is going to be an amazing thing. Thank you in advance.
Old 2013-04-04, 8:54pm
Kerry

I agree, thanks John for all the work you are going to put into this and for sharing

Click the banner to visiti the store

Old 2013-04-04, 9:21pm

Its purple I didn't expect that.

Old 2013-04-05, 2:46am

looking forward to see what you do with andromeda.
Old 2013-04-05, 1:32pm
Dakine glass man

After strike #2
Attached Images

Old 2013-04-05, 1:37pm
Dakine glass man

I did a jelly pendant at the end of the day using the citrus as a backing. The jelly in this on is basically andromeda, except I mixed it from jackpot and NS a/p. this one will show what it looks like for surface
Attached Images

Old 2013-04-05, 1:39pm
Dakine glass man

And one of the surface backing.
Attached Images

Old 2013-04-05, 1:42pm
Dakine glass man

Ok a note about working this color. It seams to get the more vibrant tones where it's gotten hotter and burned out haze. I would suggest treating this color similar to amber purple. Very workable not easily boiled, smooth and no air. I give this color two thumbs up! Adding to permanent pallet.

Old 2013-04-05, 1:43pm
Dakine glass man

Wine stops are in for strike 3 now and pendant is getting its first strike.

Old 2013-04-05, 2:33pm
Dakine glass man

Also surprisingly the Schott and simax are striking similarly on this one

Old 2013-04-05, 6:29pm

Who makes Funky Citrus? Who carries it? It look s great! I'd love to get some but I'm having trouble finding it.
Old 2013-04-05, 8:11pm
Dakine glass man

I'm pretty sure it's momka.

Old 2013-04-05, 8:13pm
Dakine glass man

Wine stops after strike 3.
Attached Images

Old 2013-04-05, 8:16pm
Dakine glass man

Here is the pendant after strike 1
Attached Images

Old 2013-04-05, 8:17pm
Dakine glass man

And the backing on surface
Attached Images

Old 2013-04-05, 8:23pm
Wonder-wench

keep em coming John, great eye candy and informational

Old 2013-04-05, 9:40pm

I can shed some light on this, but unfortunately many of these are experimentals or off colors that might not be available. The TAG ones came as a result of an email Jenny sent out maybe 6 mos ago regarding some "off" colors , the NS ones are colors I picked up in Tucson mostly over the few years. I'm going off of memory here, so bear with me...

1) funky citrus - NS experimental
2) Mai tai green -TAG experimental 042610
3) pink #4 - early pink from Momka. I wanna say this turned into Violet Hue but I could be wrong
4) crimson- TAG "Crimson Elvis #409"
5) orchard plum -momka - regular color
6) a/p - TAG
7) yellow Elvis-TAG Dank Yellow
kiwi slime- TAG Sliwi Slimey Kiwi
9) pcs - purple cream soda, Glass Alchemy old experimental color, hasn't been remade that I know of
10) exp amber- tag - experimental
11) andromeda- ga - new color just released
12) xenon green - TAG I think
13) sex on the beach - another GA experimental color from long ago
14) cruela - NS experimental I think
15) ff? Fuschia Fantasy - GA experimental
16) firefly - NS experimental
1 mother green pearl - NS experimental I believe
19) exp green 5 - NS
20) blue leprechaun - Experimental 081012
21) sugar daddy - NS experimental
22) og ap - TAG Paul's O/G A/P exp 051211
23) dulce de leche - NS experimental
24) super unobtanium - NS
25)crystal bliss NS
26) tequila mixers - old GA experimental color, half of the rods were light pink, half were pale light green
27) opaque blue- TAG Experimental #111010 (Silvered)
2 honey suckle - NS experimental from maybe a year ago
29)Caramelo lite - got this from Jenny at TAG, think it was in the special boro section
30) peach cove - I want to say this was a TAG experimental
31) electric bronze - bought this in the garage sale, think it might be a NS experimental but not sure
32) tigers eye- ga regular color
33) starry night- ga - new color I think
34) fools gold -ns experimental, usually can be found on ABR's site in the NS experimental section

JOhn, somewhere in my email I have the original email from Jenny with descriptions and info on the TAG experimentals. If you would like me to shoot you a copy, let me know and I"ll dig it up.

Last edited by Jackson River Glass; 2013-04-06 at 7:18pm.
Old 2013-04-05, 10:12pm

how do you come by so many of the experimental colors?
Old 2013-04-06, 6:57am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassAlias View Post
how do you come by so many of the experimental colors?
I hit the Tucson show every year. ABR is there and they always have some experimentals. I've been... um... collecting them.

Old 2013-04-06, 10:32am
Dakine glass man

Lol.... This morning I'm going over to help a friend set up another little live action venue, so I won't be able to do any on the review today. Tomorrow..... Mai tai green

Old 2013-04-06, 2:22pm

Fuschia Fantasy - was a GA experimental
Old 2013-04-06, 2:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by todda View Post
Fuschia Fantasy - was a GA experimental
Thank you! I'll change my post

Also found my invoice from the TAG stuff I bought, so I updated what I could on my list.

Last edited by Jackson River Glass; 2013-04-06 at 3:19pm.