No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-07-07, 8:05am
Cake for me too please

Default Favorite Bead Release???

I am a newbie and have been using Fireworks Bead Release since I started; this is what came with my kit. Now, as I try to do more difficult beads it isn't standing up. It breaks almost every time I get to the encasing step. This is VERY frustrating as it takes me 30-45 minutes to get to this stage and it is a lot of hard work and glass down the drain. So I ask you...What is your favorite bead release? Where do you get it?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 2008-07-07, 8:18am
Beadmaking.nl

I use Fosterfire already al long time and I love it.
Recently I tried Sludge dip and go and that was fine with me also.
Perhaps you should get the glass more soften!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-07-07, 8:37am
Cheesehead Packer lover

Fusion. I've tried others, but I've used it for 4 years and I'm not changing any more. I usually buy it from Heritage Glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2008-07-07, 8:48am
Reality Impaired

I like KRAG. Stands up to stress and cleans out of bead holes very nicely.

"A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something."
- Frank Capra
Old 2008-07-07, 5:46pm

Fusion 100%. It rocks! I can dip mandrels & use them right off (flame dry) or use them 4 months later & they're still just perfect--I it! Cleans out easy too!
Only thing I like as well is Ed Slawson's studio release & he isn't selling that yet!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-07-07, 6:34pm

lunamoonshadow,
Does the fusion hold up to very heavy (1 1/2 oz. or more) work on the end of a mandrel? My ornaments keep breaking loose just as they are ready to blow. I am throwing ALOT of glass away.

Thanks,
Alison
Old 2008-07-07, 6:37pm
Ready to hit the road

My own, 50% alumina hydrate, 50% kiln wash, with a dash of Fosterfire and graphite. It needs to be gently heated at first, and first time use mandrels roughed a little.

Old 2008-07-07, 6:53pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison D View Post
lunamoonshadow,
Does the fusion hold up to very heavy (1 1/2 oz. or more) work on the end of a mandrel? My ornaments keep breaking loose just as they are ready to blow. I am throwing ALOT of glass away.

Thanks,
Alison
Fusion holds up to ANYTHING. It is seriously tough. I use Fosterfire and Fusion and the Fusion is the toughest I have ever seen.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-07-08, 5:33am

Well, it held up to my first (failed!) attempts at vessels really well....I got waaaaay too much glass on the hollow mandrels...so much I couldn't blow them @ all! ....Took one of them off with pliers, but the other came off with just my hands--but while I was working them--they didn't budge!
Nicest thing about it is that since I switched to it--I HAVEN'T RUINED A SINGLE MANDREL!!! Every bead comes off just perfectly--not one bent mandrel, not one that I've had to "smash" glass off of--it just doesn't flake & I don't end up with glass "stuck" to the metal--which is a huge deal for me--I'm still doing loads of PPP & I was wrecking my mandrels (bending, etc) not being able to get beads off them with other "beadrelease" brands!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies

Last edited by lunamoonshadow; 2008-07-08 at 5:35am.
Old 2008-07-08, 7:57am
Cake for me too please

Wow, thanks everyone for your input. I really appricate your feedback.
Margriet- Thanks and yes my glass needs to be hotter... I am still learning heat control.

Looks like everyone has a personal fav. but I think I will give Fusion a try since Luna says it will last a while on a mandrel. I may dip them one day and not get back to the torch for a week and that may also cause some of my breakage issues.
Again thanks a million everyone!
Old 2008-07-08, 10:38am
just plain silly

I use Fusion also and think you'll like it!

Suzanne
Old 2008-07-08, 10:39am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Well, I have done lots of research on bead release since I used to make FosterFire and I developed the formula.
For soft glass I recommend FosterFire regular. For boro or hollows or beginners I recommend FosterFire Smooth & Tuff. In second place, what I would buy if I couldn't get FosterFire, is Fusion, sold by Frantz, sometimes labeled "FPI" which stands for Fusion Products Inc. (I think)
Old 2008-07-08, 10:46am
Entropy increasing....

I like Fusion. It holds up better than Bucket o'Mud.
Old 2008-07-08, 6:41pm

Thanks everyone,
unfortunatly I had already sent for some Dirty Looies and if it don't cut the mustard I will definately go for the fusion.

Alison
Old 2008-07-08, 7:45pm
Covered in glitter

I like Foster Fire--the newer one. I had some mandrels dipped and in the garage for about 6 months. I took them and tossed them into my tool kit. They were still good when I got where I was going. That's pretty amazing if you ask me!

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2008-07-09, 7:57am
The Crazy One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison D View Post
lunamoonshadow,

Thanks,
Alison
Fusion all the way! I have done beads up to 4 ounces and it holds wonderful no matter how long ago I dipped the mandrel! Yup, I have some that were dipped over 6 months ago and the Fusion still holds great!
Old 2008-07-12, 8:31pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I am rough on my bead release. I do a lot of pressed beads and have tried a lot of bead releases. The only one that holds up real well for me is Super Blue Sludge. It handles boro as well as soft glass much nicer than any I've tried. I highly recommend it.

Ebay: