LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-03-02, 12:41pm
CatTickler Extraordinaire

Default Working hours in a week at Penland?

So, I am attempting to write a grant proposal to my school to attain funding over the summer to work sculptural glass, and one of the things that I need to know is approximaitly how many working hours one would spend "in class" at Penland. My guess would be anywhere from 4 to 8 hours per day. I thought I would ask of the collected experience through LE to see if anyone knows through experience.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 2013-03-02, 4:17pm

Haven't been there but according to their student handbook the hot glass shop is open 6am to midnight, flameworking shop 24 hrs at discretion of instructor. They describe a typical blow schedule of 2 1/2 individual time, 2 1/2 hrs. assisting your partner and up to 3 hours demo. When not on schedule you can work in the cold shop. I gather that you can work as many hours as you want.

Class schedules are up to individual instructors so no schedule is given in handbook.
Old 2013-03-02, 4:53pm

I was there last August for a flameworking class. They have the hotshop, flameworking studio, and cold shop (cutting, griding and sandblasting equip.) all in the same building. Once you get through the introduction and safety orientation instruction will usually start around 9 a.m. and run through until around 2 or 3 in the afternoon with a couple hours for work time before lunch and then before dinner. We usually came to the studio early around 8 a.m. and would stay as late as we wanted as long as there were 2 people in the studio - basically 8 to midnight or later as long as your stamina holds out - probably on the order of 10-12 hours a day. The last day you might get a couple hours early in the morning but the rest is mandatory shop cleanup.

Good luck!
Old 2013-03-02, 5:24pm

That is exactly along the lines that I was thinking, Talonst! I do remember seeing that info on the website, glvz, although I am not particularly interested in Hot shop practices, just sculptural torchworking ;p

Thanks!
Old 2013-03-03, 12:07pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

I have been to penland many many times as a TA.. glass shop is open from 8 am to midnight.. later if you have a TA who is night owl, or a teacher. If you are a work study student, you will have some time each day you will be working for the school, but the teacher should schedule demos etc around the work study students. Last day is clean up...

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2013-03-03, 4:00pm

Thanks Patienthand! Do you happen to know the best/least expensive way to get there from the Ashville airport? It seems like $250 for a shuttle there and back is a bit outrageous.
Old 2013-03-05, 5:27am
Run Free Sweet Boy

no, I am sorry, I do not know. I lived in asheville, or in winston salem, and always drove to penland myself. I dont know a thing about transport..... from the airport I would guess its a good 1 hour and 15 minute ride to penland. might be cheaper to rent a car

Old 2013-03-06, 7:43am

Yeap, I was expecting that much ;p
Old 2013-03-06, 8:58am

When I went I flew in to Charlotte and rented a car to make the drive to Penland. I was hoping to have some time to go to Asheville but was to busy at the studio.

Cost wise it probably comes out about the same whether you take the shuttle or pay for the rental and leave it in the parking lot for the week.
Old 2013-03-06, 9:07pm

I think the only benefit to having a car is being able to go do laundry hwen you can spare a moment, I never even thought of going to Asheville ;p
Old 2013-03-12, 5:54am
Run Free Sweet Boy

there is limited water available at penland.. this means that the students cant do laundry on campus, only the teachers and TAs. Pack enough for 2 weeks, or however long your class is if possible.

Make sure you take a walk through the Laurel tunnel. there is a path back behind where the iron studio is now that lead back through it.. its beautiful.

If you go into asheville, try to eat at Salsa's or the Blue Moon Cafe. The Blue Spiral gallery is well worth the time to go see it.
Maountian arts glass is in asheville. If you go during the summer and its a sat night, they could be having the shindig on the green, check for what weekends it falls on. Its on the lawn of the courthouse. The stage has great music, but the real action is as you wander around and find clumps of people playing and singing everywhere. It is a feast of mountain and folk music.

Old 2013-03-29, 8:28pm

Thanks for everyone chiming in with their experience! Alas, the class I wanted filled up too quickly, so I have opted to go to the Art Glass Invitational this year instead. Thanks everyone!