Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-03-29, 6:27am

Default Bell flower Press

Hi guys! Ok...so I recieved my Bell Flower press yesterday!
Now, How do I use it? Do I simply place a small gather of molten glass in the "cup" part and then press? Also, what wire should I use?

Yah I know, I should have asked those questions in the FIRST place!

Duane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-03-29, 6:38am

Hi Duane, I came across this video the other day and it may help you.
Bob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oQkgB23KI0

e-mail:
Old 2013-03-29, 7:19am

Send me your email addy and I can send you a tutorial.

Old 2013-03-29, 7:22am
Mr Brutus RIP

That video made it look so simple....... much easier than getting a press

I love the flowers you are making with them Cynthia!!

Old 2013-03-29, 7:25am

Thank you They are rather addictive.

Old 2013-03-29, 8:07am
Queen Bee

What I'd like to know is how do you file the opening so a 20g wire will fit? I haven't seen a file narrow enough to fit in the slot Mine also has a burr on it - I'm a bit discouraged. I think for the price they should be rather perfect. Or is it just my presses?

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2013-03-29, 8:43am

I had to file mine when I got it. Do you have a Dremel with a diamond wheel? That works enough to widen the gap. I can fit the 20 gauge although I prefer 24.

Old 2013-03-29, 11:50am
Queen Bee

Thanks Cynthia - I'll give that a try. I tried using 22g and thought it was pretty flimsy and hard to get the glass on, I can't imagine using 24g. Though I was using tweezers - not too easy. I think I'll have to find some kind of pin devise instead.

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Old 2013-03-29, 12:06pm
A True Woofer

I took one of my razor tools out of its X-Acto knife handle and I put my wire in there. It holds it nicely.

Old 2013-03-29, 1:22pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I use a pin vise and I had to file mine too. I use 20G.

Old 2013-04-01, 10:04am

I have resisted the need for this tool but I dont know how much longer i'll last. Where do you buy the press? Cynthia can I get the tutorial fro.from you too?

Old 2013-04-01, 10:49am
what's a senior moment ?

Here Darlene http://www.spiralarts.com/products/p...ESS-65p396.htm They are now out of 4 sizes ! lol !

Old 2013-04-01, 11:49am
Ex-lurker

Well, I don't even bead much and I want one of these presses. (I have some ideas) Why are they soooo expensive? Which is the best size if you were only getting one?

"Life is a journey - travel it well"
Old 2013-04-01, 12:11pm

Shoot sorry, I meant 22 guage. I use the "Mandrel Vice" from Arrow Springs. It is on the website.

Darlene, I sent the tut to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadBlossoms View Post
Thanks Cynthia - I'll give that a try. I tried using 22g and thought it was pretty flimsy and hard to get the glass on, I can't imagine using 24g. Though I was using tweezers - not too easy. I think I'll have to find some kind of pin devise instead.

Old 2013-04-01, 5:00pm

Hi Cynthia, could you post your tutorial here too. It's so hard for me to buy a press without knowing what it looks like.

I've heard people like the largest ones, but what do you use? Any ideas which size is the best???

Thanks so much, Karen
Old 2013-04-01, 5:25pm

Karen, I did post it in the other thread a long time ago but it's so small it's hard to read. PM me your email addy and I'll send it to youl.

Old 2013-04-02, 7:48am
Queen Bee

Cynthia, thanks for the info on the mandrel holder Off to Glass Craft Expo tomorrow - I'm taking an enameling class with Barbara Lewis and she's bringing her bell flower press to demo for me. So nice of her to do this, I always learn better when I actually see it being done.

Donna

Old 2013-04-02, 9:20pm
Echo's Mother

Carlo Dona also makes a wire holder. It is more expensive than a pin vise. I love mine. It can be purchased through Spiral Arts. My bell flower press easily accepts 20g wire and the slot did not have any burrs. The craftsmanship is wonderful. What I would expect from a Carlo Dona tool and the price.
Old 2013-04-03, 12:09pm

I have some bellflower presses and ordered them directly from Roberto Dona. He's really a nice guy, state-of-the-art-tools, excellent service, good communication. Maybe you should contact him directly to order his tools, that's the way we did it (was much cheaper than spiral arts), we made a cenralized order. I have 3 bellflower presses:

12mm/ 5 petals
14mm/ 6 petals
16mm/ 6 petals
(20mm coming soon)

So many possibilities to use them:

We do use surgical wire. I have the wire holder but a luster terminal (insulation screw joint) is fine, too. Have fun with your bellflower presses,

Kerstin

(P.S.: Duane, I first dot glass the size of a pinhead on the wire end and then a glass gather on top - easier to balance the gather into the press. Try to insert the wire either upside down or upright in the press, find out which way gives you best results (wire centered and straight).

Last edited by Spicy Beads; 2013-04-03 at 12:31pm.
Old 2013-04-03, 8:03pm
Ezzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaGirlBT View Post
I took one of my razor tools out of its X-Acto knife handle and I put my wire in there. It holds it nicely.
I have been doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
Shoot sorry, I meant 22 guage. I use the "Mandrel Vice" from Arrow Springs. It is on the website.
I was looking at this yesterday and wondering if I could just feed a long length of wire through and then cut it off as the flowers were completed and since you specifically mentioned the "mandrel vise" I'm going to guess that's what you are doing?

I just got my press last week, I'm using 20 g. german silver and have not had to file anything. I'm using the smallest press. I tried using headpins, I'm not sure I like them. I thought maybe I should put a little loop on the wire, I started with copper, that would be a PITA too (I'm fundamentally lazy) so I'm just using the wire without a loop or anything. Now I'm just tired of reloading the pin vise (because like I said I'm fundamentally lazy).

Anyway, now I just need another, bigger press because this is so addictive.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2013-04-03, 8:30pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieFireBeads View Post
I was looking at this yesterday and wondering if I could just feed a long length of wire through and then cut it off as the flowers were completed ...
Yes. You can.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-04-03, 10:15pm

Yep, that's what I do. Feed it through as I go.

A bit of bell flower folly from me.

Old 2013-04-04, 7:18pm
Ezzy

Thank you, Elizabeth and Cynthia.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2013-04-04, 7:52pm

Beautiful set Kerstin. Roberto is a sweetheart.

Old 2013-04-06, 3:58am

Kerstin please could you let me know how to contact Roberto, thanks.
Old 2013-04-06, 6:08am

Hi,

I sent you a pm,

Kerstin
Old 2013-04-06, 8:02pm

Thank you Kerstin.
Old 2013-04-07, 12:12pm

I tend to accumulate multiples of tools (like you don't), so I have three pin vises. I load up all of them at once, can make 3 beads before reloading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieFireBeads View Post
Now I'm just tired of reloading the pin vise (because like I said I'm fundamentally lazy).
Old 2013-04-08, 11:47am

Some more bellflower fun:

There is a German toolmaker selling a wire holder at the price of 3,20€. I asked him to post a picture of his wire holder here. It's easy to work with, easy to reload, very useful.

Kerstin
Old 2013-04-08, 11:58am

Default pikture again

first thought for ear studs