No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-04-07, 6:13pm

Default Teal-icious loosing its colors

Hi,
I recently purchased some Teal-icious and got a gorgeous range of reduction colors from it. When I took the beads out of the kiln, all the colors were gone and the Teal-icious was the same color as the rod. My kiln is set at 945 which I'm thinking may be too hot. I don't have this problem with DH Glass which I also anneal at 945. What temperature do you anneal Teal-icious at?
This happened to both my encased and unencased beads.
Thanks,
Pam
Old 2013-04-08, 3:23am

Nobody??
Old 2013-04-08, 4:25am

My first guess is it's the environment inside your kiln... off to search for a thread that may assist... brb

Found one! Read thru this and see if it's info that can help you:

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...vated+charcoal

You can do a search on activated charcoal and find some other threads. I'm off to work so can't take the time right now but this may help.

Sue
and the present is a gift.

Last edited by Sue in Maine; 2013-04-08 at 4:29am.
Old 2013-04-08, 4:45am

Thanks Sue!
Old 2013-04-08, 5:25am
Angie09

Unfortunately I remember reading (after I purchased the activated charcoal) that it really didn't do anything to help. When you search you might start with the latest threads because those would be the ones that have the research. Sorry to be a buzz kill ....
Old 2013-04-08, 8:36am
da General

Pam, you may consider lower your annealing temperature and garage at 20 degrees lower than your annealing one to compensate for the temperature spikes during the session. I wrote about annealing silver glass in my blog. If you are interested:
http://envisionsf.blogspot.com/2009/...mperature.html

Just make sure that when you anneal at a lower temperature, you need to soak longer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Old 2013-04-08, 3:16pm

Hi Hayley, Thanks for your reply and boy, was I hoping that you would see my post. Your Teal-icious beads are so gorgeous!! I will lower my annealing temp a bit at a time to see what happens. I kind of thought that my temp of 945 may be a bit too high but I never seemed to have a problem with DH Glass so I left it at that. Thanks for the link to your blog which was an excellent read. I appreciate your help.
Pam
Old 2013-04-09, 4:50am
Ezzy

Great article, Hayley. Thank you so much.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2013-04-12, 4:32am

just heard from Donna at Arrow Springs. I now know why my Tealicious has been losing its color. I have been reducing the glass after my bead has cooled down. She explained that with Belladonna Glass, you have to reduce when the bead is just about glowing in order to keep the reduction colors! Just wanted to share this important info with any one else who is having similar problems.