Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-10, 11:08pm

No laughing here Sonja, all my raked beads come with the rake stuck in them.
the red is really pretty, I added that to my order tonight and the dark trans rose is one of the nicest colors EVER !! Keep on truckin girl, you're doin great!
Old 2009-11-11, 5:00am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
Okay here is the red with butterscotch and the dark transparent rose. No laughing at the beads lol, keep in mind that I am still very new to this.
Beautiful work and combinations! Can't wait to see your old-timer work one day!
Old 2009-11-11, 11:01am

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby firefly View Post
No laughing here Sonja, all my raked beads come with the rake stuck in them.
the red is really pretty, I added that to my order tonight and the dark trans rose is one of the nicest colors EVER !! Keep on truckin girl, you're doin great!
Dip the rake in cold water before you rake (so it's COLD), dry it off, & rake OUTSIDE the flame...if your rake is hot & your glass is hot, you're actually melting the rake into the glass....
(or...use a cold stringer of the same color--then if it gets "stuck", you just snap it off & melt it in ...that's my favorite method!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-11-11, 11:15am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Tips please ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
Dip the rake in cold water before you rake (so it's COLD), dry it off, & rake OUTSIDE the flame...if your rake is hot & your glass is hot, you're actually melting the rake into the glass....
(or...use a cold stringer of the same color--then if it gets "stuck", you just snap it off & melt it in ...that's my favorite method!)

THANK YOU for the tips!

What about anyone giving special tips and tricks to doing things (wrapping, raking, encasing, dots, etc)? That would be such a treasure to have since we have people at all skill levels!

Old 2009-11-11, 5:36pm

Thanks Luna, that's a for sure on melting the rake in, LOL. Everytime I go to rake I realize I don't have any water handy and think I can go commando...NOT! I love your stringer method, and will give that a try. Many thanks for sharing!!
Old 2009-11-11, 5:49pm

Can someone post a photo of beads they've made with the jade?
Thanks in advance!
Old 2009-11-12, 8:29am
I fart diamonds

I only had a short short to work with:

Opaque Jade D127 with Effetre 444 & Opaque Pink (The pink doesn't show up very well on the brown. Next time I'll dot with white 1st, then pink) & Opaque Violet Blue D146

The colors are much nicer IRL.

Old 2009-11-12, 8:35am

Thanks Shawnette!
Old 2009-11-12, 6:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
I have struggled with encasing with clear. I always spread my design.

I have gone to using stringers of clear to carefully wrap around the bead to an even thickness, but I still get some spread.

Does anyone care to share what they do?

Also I just cannot layer the petals and get them to stay sharp - any advice?
You seem to have lot of diverse and various questions:
what to wear, how to encase, petals, etc. All of these questions and more are addressed in other threads on this forum. You can search or browse outside of just this thread. Your questions are not ONLY related to Devardi and should be addressed in other parts of the forum.

I'm sure you'll have a great time looking around.
Old 2009-11-12, 8:42pm

for devardi, I'm not sure--I haven't tried the clear yet!! For other stuff, let what you're encasing stiffen a bit before you slap really soupy hot clear over it!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-11-12, 9:01pm

Yup I let mine cool just a bit before slathering the clear on lol! Can't help with the petals as I am still struggling with florals myself. I did some burgandy on white, some topaz and butterscotch and some light green that marbles beautifully. Don't have pics yet will have to wait til after my show on Saturday since I am so far behind at getting ready lol! Not a good week to have the flu.

Old 2009-11-14, 4:27pm

I, for one, really enjoy Fine Folly Glassworks' "diverse and various questions", comments, pictures and other information. I hope you guys stay right here. You are an inspiration.

I don't think we should be telling each other where we should post our comments. That post also has nothing to do with this thread. But you posted that, Mini.

I hope you feel better, Sonja.
Old 2009-11-14, 6:49pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

That's kind of you Firemagic.

We have a neat group that's formed here around the Devardi glass. We need to be free to give any kind of info on working with this glass since it has unique properties and working requirements.

So anyone who finds special ways to make things happen with it, please share!
Old 2009-11-14, 7:11pm
Remember to keep smiling

Hi Kristina I am a newbie but have been using Devardi from the beginning and I love it. I just placed a new order and awaiting anxiously for its arrival. I ordered some of the pink again did not have very good luck with the last batch at all. Natasha stated they have improved on it just wanted to know if you have had a chance to try it out?

SRA#P109
Old 2009-11-14, 9:25pm
Semi Retired

Well, the good news is the this batch of pink is not shocky but I still can't get the nice pink from it. It could be that I didn't use a cool flame.

Anyone had luck with the dichroic? I find that it burns out easily and does not like to be encased. Given that they come in such thin strips, I may have better luck using them as stringer for surface decoration. I also plan to try fusing with it and see if the lower kiln temperature will preserve the dichroic better.

|

|

|

|

Old 2009-11-14, 9:57pm

I wonder if fusing some clear onto the dichro might help, too? Isn't that what the prefused strips some vendors sell are? (dichro novice here)
Old 2009-11-14, 10:00pm
Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichromary View Post
Anyone had luck with the dichroic? I find that it burns out easily and does not like to be encased.
Aw... really? Crud! I played with some for the 1st time today, and the beads are still annealing, so I haven't seen the results yet. Encased them all, as I've read you have to encase dichro or the coating burns off. Guess I won't hold out hope that they'll look like anything.

Also tried the Black Metallic today. It seemed nice going into the kiln...

Old 2009-11-15, 12:26am
Semi Retired

Hi Lisa, I just watched the Devardi video and realized I had the dichroic way too hot. I lost the dichroic after encasing. If you could still see the dichroic before annealing, your beads should be ok.

|

|

|

|

Old 2009-11-15, 4:59am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I have found it's really important to watch the videos they offer. The glass has to be handled the way they show.

Moretti has it's own way of being handled, and most of us learned using it. So we must watch the Devardi videos and then go from there.

Now that I pre-heat the rods and then keep them at the outer edge of the flame until they start to change color I don't have the shocking/shattering - even with the pink I had such misery with originally.

Their dichro video shows them using the heat of the bead to melt the strip on. I encase right after to protect it. The same with the Goldstone.

Anyone else making headway after watching videos?
Old 2009-11-15, 7:20am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Devardi pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaP View Post
Hi Kristina I am a newbie but have been using Devardi from the beginning and I love it. I just placed a new order and awaiting anxiously for its arrival. I ordered some of the pink again did not have very good luck with the last batch at all. Natasha stated they have improved on it just wanted to know if you have had a chance to try it out?

Welcome dear Newbie! We are all works in progress ourselves, some just newer than others!

Concerning the pinks and other colors, I preheat my rods in a small crock-pot first. Some people some use a small George Foreman type hamburger grill to keep the ends warm before putting them in the flame (if they don't have a bead kiln to preheat the rod ends in).

The big thing is to wave/dab the rod in and out of the flame at the end of the flame until it begins to change color and then glow at the tip. Then you can bring it into the flame more and more until it gets molten.

When I am patient and do this I don't have the shattering or shocking. Be sure to watch all their videos. The Devardi glass must be worked with tools as it is stiff. It has fabulous sculptural qualities with stringers!

By the way, www.youtube.com has a great library of lampwork instruction for beginners. I like this fellow the best and I have watched all his videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shdwx...eature=related

The best book I have found in my short beadworking life is "Passing the Flame" by Corina Tettinger. A decent priced copy can be found at:
http://www.amazon.com/Passing-Flame-.../dp/0972660208

It is like 3 classes in one book with great pictures, so it is worth the money.

Many people here are kind and helpful, so welcome and happy bead-making!

Old 2009-11-15, 7:46am
Live and Let Live

Quote:
Hi Lisa, I just watched the Devardi video and realized I had the dichroic way too hot. I lost the dichroic after encasing. If you could still see the dichroic before annealing, your beads should be ok.
Yup, I watched it this AM too after taking my beads out of the kiln and seeing absolutely no hint of dichro. It amazes me that the dichro can still 'burn off' under a layer of glass. Where the heck does it go?!

Going to try again today...

Old 2009-11-15, 9:59am

Oh, you can fry *any* dichro off even under a layer of glass...trust me...I've done it

Old 2009-11-15, 10:57am

So glad to see so many new posts, I haven't been around for a day and missed out, LOL.
Ok, the trick with the dichro is keep it outa the flame as much as possible. My dichro beads are turning out beautiful but I did fry the first one, getting the hang of it. So far I've encased the dichro, kiln annealed in my Chili Pepper and they're perfect. Keep trying, it's worth the effort. I'm using the dichro on black.
Kristina, you ARE posting in the correct place, this is a thread for working with Devardiglass, you use Devardiglass. You have been GREAT on this thread love ya girl!!
I did something fun with the gold adventurine rod, I encased in clear and then pulled stringers, as if the stuff isn't sparkly enough already, LOL, the clear really makes it pop.
PaulP I think you're going to love the new pink, I got both the pinks, the rods are pencil thin, not shocky and they are truly stunning colors. comes out of the kiln the same color as going in. I work with a hothead and propane, if I can get beautiful color anybody can.
I had hoped to get pics posted but the neighbor boy just bought a horse and he needs horseback riding lessons. (I'm a sucker for little boys and horses). Hope to get them posted around the middle of the week...... I'm lovin all the new colors I got.
Old 2009-11-15, 1:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemagic View Post
I, for one, really enjoy Fine Folly Glassworks' "diverse and various questions", comments, pictures and other information. I hope you guys stay right here. You are an inspiration.

I don't think we should be telling each other where we should post our comments. That post also has nothing to do with this thread. But you posted that, Mini.

I hope you feel better, Sonja.
I'm not telling anyone where to post. I'm just saying that this site (the WHOLE of LE) is an extremely interesting and informative site. There is TONS of information on all of the questions that this poster is asking. Not only will the poster get more answers but others on this site those who might not be reading this thread will benefit from the questions being asked.

Also, the way forums work is that each thread should stay ON TOPIC so that it is easier for others to find information on what they are specifically looking for. Cluttering thread with information other than what the thread is about makes it more difficult to navigate the forum.

Yes, you are correct, I am also causing the thread to be filled with off topic comments but my goal was to help the situation.

I'm finding the defensiveness on this thread really tiring. And, I'm starting to wonder why do you all only want to stay in this thread and not join the rest of the forum?
Old 2009-11-15, 3:04pm
Semi Retired

Mini, all threads contain some off topic comments and majority of us don't mind. Many posters also like to post in some threads more than others. I visit a lot of threads but post mainly in the scrabble thread in the game room. Life is too short to be worried about occasional off topic posts.

|

|

|

|

Old 2009-11-15, 4:38pm

Thank you dichromary,I don't think we wander off so badly on this thread either, It was started for people who are using this glass to get tips, techniques and get questions answered. I have all but switched over to Devardiglass. I've posted in other areas too, since I am primarily using this glass and it does have different working properties than other glass, why would I go to another part of the forum to get my questions answered? Then I'd just have people yelling at me and telling me there is a thread on using Devardiglass...go use it.....
Old 2009-11-15, 4:57pm

Quote:
Mini, all threads contain some off topic comments and majority of us don't mind. Many posters also like to post in some threads more than others. I visit a lot of threads but post mainly in the scrabble thread in the game room. Life is too short to be worried about occasional off topic posts.
I'm not worried about occasional off topic posts as I know that almost all posts go a off topic at some point. But I do mind being told off when I'm trying to help and with 11 pages of this thread it becomes difficult to go through if one were looking for information that is specific to Devardi.

Plus, I think it would be particularly helpful to Fire Folly as she (they?) seem to be newbies to visit the rest of LE.

Encasing, petal layering, or other questions that Fire Folly has in this post post, are things that are not only relevant to Devardi but to lampworking in general. LE is loaded with all kinds of information to assist Fire Folly to become more skilled at her (their?) craft. It seems a shame that she (they?) feel they can/should post only in this thread becuase they use Devardi glass.

Imagine if there were threads where people who used only Bulls eye went? or only CIM or whatever. The site would be come unwieldy.

I also think it is a disservice to the new lampworkers in this thread to make it out like these techniques are some how done differently with Devardi. The initially handling of the glass perhaps in regards to warming, addressing specific shockiness of certain colors, color reactions etc: Yes. Dot placement, petals, encasing, use of dichro in general: No.
Old 2009-11-15, 5:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby firefly View Post
Thank you dichromary,I don't think we wander off so badly on this thread either, It was started for people who are using this glass to get tips, techniques and get questions answered. I have all but switched over to Devardiglass. I've posted in other areas too, since I am primarily using this glass and it does have different working properties than other glass, why would I go to another part of the forum to get my questions answered? Then I'd just have people yelling at me and telling me there is a thread on using Devardiglass...go use it.....
There are differences to a point, just like there are some differences when using Bulls eye. Some CIM colors are stiffer than others & Lauscha needs different annealing schedules.

However, the general techniques of lampworking relate to ALL kinds of glass, even melted glass bottles if you wanted to use them.

Some people use only Bulls eye or only CIM or only Double Helix. They don't only post on a thread related to each individual company. If there is something that is that different for a specific technique I'd like to hear about it as this will help people decide it if makes sense to add Devardi in with the rest of my glass.

If CIM, Effretti, Lauscha, DH, TAG, etc can all be used together why can't we add Devardi as another option in our collection? Can Devardi not be used with other glasses? I thought it was said earlier in this thread the Devardi is perfectly compatible with other glass lines. Is this no longer true?
Old 2009-11-15, 5:33pm

Mini, you now have made several rather lengthy posts completely off topic, the very thing you originally so rudely complained about. ???

And by the way, the only time some of us may get defensive is when someone becomes offensive.
Old 2009-11-15, 6:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemagic View Post
Mini, you now have made several rather lengthy posts completely off topic, the very thing you originally so rudely complained about. ???

And by the way, the only time some of us may get defensive is when someone becomes offensive.
You are mistaken. My last two posts in this thread are perfectly on topic and I was neither rude nor offensive.

Is it not pertinent to know the differences & the similarities of Devardi when compared to other glasses? Or can we only talk about how Devardi is different?

I'm saying that general lampworking techniques are not different when using Devardi. There may be some things (which I mentioned in a previous post) that could be different, but others that are exactly the same.

Is anyone here suggesting that dot placement, making petals, flowers, stripes, etc must be done differently when using Devardi than with CIM or Vetrofond, etc? Are we suggesting that each brand of glass requires it's own thread? I think that would be shame & cause lots of division in our community. Devardi people there; CIM people there; Lauscha people over there.

Also suggesting to a member of this forum to participate in other threads that are going on on LE & that this forum has loads & loads of information regarding the questions that s/he has is nothing out of the ordinary & I have said this in a perfectly pleasant manner.

I will agree however that it is perhaps fruitless to try to keep threads strictly on topic as, like real life conversations, they seem to have a life of their own.
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi