No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-02-02, 5:54pm
I'm listen-Oooh, sparkly!

Default Silly snowbound newbie air compressor question

So, I've been stuck the past two days, snowbound, and dying to use my new torch (National 8M, SM7 tip). I've got everything for the propane side - regulator, hose, flashback arrestor, etc., but am waiting for my oxycon (no real delay, just standard waiting on shipment).

I've got an air compressor, 18 gallon, capable of running an air nailer, drills, etc. for hours on end with no problem. It's basically got an on-board regulator that tells the pressure in the tank & the pressure in the line. I'm pretty sure I can get it down far enough for the oxygen side of the torch, and DH mentioned the possible issue of burning nitrogen because it's not straight oxygen - I didn't figure that would be any worse than working with a hothead.

So, has anyone tried this before or can they think of any real problems? If no one can think of anything by tomorrow afternoon, I'll try to steal a bit of studio time with some cheap glass & report back the results . . . . .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." Ghandi
Old 2011-02-02, 5:55pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Sorry - won't work. It has to be at least about 90% oxy.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-02-03, 5:01am
old fart

if you buy a PA-1 adapter, and a N style tip, you can use your torch with an air compressor and it will not require any oxygen.

http://nationaltorch.com/tips.html

Old 2011-02-03, 8:49am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

But won't it have a very reducing flame?

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2011-02-03, 9:16am

I can't imagine it'll be any worse that a Hothead would be, since it would be working the same way. Plus since the air would be under pressure instead of just being pulled from atmospheric, I would think it would burn a little hotter than that. My main concern was the safety end of things.

Old 2011-02-03, 9:54am
Gentleman of Leisure

Your 8M with "compressed air" tip (N series) will burn at about 3800° f. about same temperature as Hothead, only real difference is going to be flame size/body.....

Propane with oxygen burns at about 5300°f., that is pretty big "give away"...

Its pretty much the physics/chemistry of combustion and not as much torch type...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2011-02-03 at 11:54am.
Old 2011-02-03, 10:01am

That's good to know. I'm mainly battling the "I haven't been able to play with the new torch yet and I'm going really nuts with cabin fever" bug at the moment but wanted to make sure I wasn't fixing to do something really stupid since I hadn't worked with a fuel/O2 torch before. I really appreciate all the help on here!

Mark, thanks for the info on the air/fuel tips - I'll have to look at those as an option for down the road!

Old 2011-02-03, 11:53am
Gentleman of Leisure

IF its driving you that crazy... Get a snow plow and make your way out to nearest welding/gas supplier and get regulator and oxy tank....

It would be money better spend than on fuel/air tips that once you burn oxygen you will probably never go back to....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2011-02-04, 5:40am
old fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
But won't it have a very reducing flame?
a hothead torch is reducing because the venturi cannot suck enough air into the flame using the flow induced by the propane jet exiting the oriffice. when you have a compressor, you can adjust the flame chemistry to neutral. you won't be able to work boro on a fuel/air torch, but you can easily work any soft glass. most glassblowing furnaces use fuel/air torches. i am not aware of any that use pure oxygen. NONE.

Last edited by laserglass; 2011-02-04 at 5:43am.
Old 2011-02-04, 1:17pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserglass View Post
a hothead torch is reducing because the venturi cannot suck enough air into the flame using the flow induced by the propane jet exiting the oriffice. when you have a compressor, you can adjust the flame chemistry to neutral. you won't be able to work boro on a fuel/air torch, but you can easily work any soft glass. most glassblowing furnaces use fuel/air torches. i am not aware of any that use pure oxygen. NONE.
Great info - thanks!

DOG is my co-pilot