Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-26, 4:50pm
In spite of it all!

Default Glass Rods and Stringers From Rocks?

While viewing another thread concerning glass and rocks, I began to wonder about glass in chunk form.... that looks like rocks. I googled glass rocks and came up with some very interesting hits. Well, I found a web site that seems like they have great prices for glass chunks. Since I buy my gold adventurine for stringers in chunk form I wondered if anyone has tried making their own stringers and rods from glass chunks in other colors. http://www.recycled-rocks.com/Glass-Rocks-p/rocks3.htm No matter what the deal is I am going to look into this more. This particular manufacture uses a higher grade of glass according to their statement. Could be good for lots of other molten projects too.

So, what do you think? Any opinions, suggestions, experiences, comments, flaming, curiosities.. you name it.... go for it. I am not thin skinned, so give this your best educated thoughtful shot!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ruth Nichols; 2009-02-26 at 4:53pm.
Old 2009-02-26, 5:09pm
It's all about the color.

It looks and sounds fun, but I wonder about glass compatibility. It will be interesting to read what others think.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2009-02-26, 5:33pm
In spite of it all!

I was hoping you would be interested in this too Kay!

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2009-02-26, 6:13pm

We've got a bunch of glass slag chucks in the studio that I've been meaning to melt. I wouldn't count on it being compatible with anything but itself, though. Might be good for spacers.

Robert
Old 2009-02-26, 6:35pm
In spite of it all!

I have to wonder if all glass chunks are created equal........ It makes sense what you say though Robert. Know anything about the companies that sell the bigger pieces? What does your slag glass look like? Have a picture?

Old 2009-02-26, 11:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetchikanSculptor View Post
While viewing another thread concerning glass and rocks, I began to wonder about glass in chunk form.... that looks like rocks. I googled glass rocks and came up with some very interesting hits. Well, I found a web site that seems like they have great prices for glass chunks. Since I buy my gold adventurine for stringers in chunk form I wondered if anyone has tried making their own stringers and rods from glass chunks in other colors. http://www.recycled-rocks.com/Glass-Rocks-p/rocks3.htm No matter what the deal is I am going to look into this more. This particular manufacture uses a higher grade of glass according to their statement. Could be good for lots of other molten projects too.

So, what do you think? Any opinions, suggestions, experiences, comments, flaming, curiosities.. you name it.... go for it. I am not thin skinned, so give this your best educated thoughtful shot!
Ruth, If you ever visit West Virginia, there is Gabbertcullet.com. Check them out. They give the COE of part of their glass.
You could always run a base line glass test. Pull a 3MM stringer and fuse it on a piece of clear Moretti. You can use polarized lens to test for stress. You will be able to see a halo, if stress is present.
I would like to obtain some of the cranberry and test it. Let me know if you pursue this. It is so interesting.
Jim Clark
Old 2009-02-27, 7:09am

We bought ours at a road side rock shop up in North Georgia, very cheap The original plan was to cut some free-form cabs to buff down to 'beach glass' for Camille to use in some of her work. It's still sitting in the studio and makes a really pretty decoration (good thing, huh?). I'll post a photo tonight.

Robert
Old 2009-02-28, 5:49pm

Jim,
where can you get a polarized lens, I have heard about checking with one for stress before but never seen one.
Sandra
Old 2009-02-28, 6:21pm
In spite of it all!

You can use a good pair of sunglasses for a polarized lens.

Old 2009-02-28, 7:18pm

Thanks I didn't think about that I will have to look for a pair, I bet the ones they advertise for fishermen would work then.
thanks,
Sandra
Old 2009-02-28, 7:21pm
In spite of it all!

You're welcome Sandra! As long as they say polarized they should work ok.

Old 2009-02-28, 10:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by s38hyler View Post
Jim,where can you get a polarized lens, I have heard about checking with one for stress before but never seen one.Sandra
Sandra, Art Glass House in Florida has the best ones for the buck. It is called a Stressometer. They describe it as: A polarized light source which gives a visual indication of the amount of compressive and tensile stress existing in two glasses which have been fused together. This has a light source, diffusing lens, and two polarized lenses. I have been told that C & R Loo used to stock them.Jim

Last edited by Drafly; 2009-02-28 at 10:42pm. Reason: sp.
Old 2009-02-28, 11:05pm
In spite of it all!

This is good to know Drafly. Thank you. I tried to figure that out a while back and just ended up using my pilots sunglasses. (no, I'm not a pilot, just flew a lot in little plains in Alaska while there) It's good to know the right stuff is available out there.

Old 2009-11-30, 3:36pm

Hello,
A simple stress tester can be had from Delphi or most any fusing supplier. It is an old style 6 volt latern style flashlight and two 4 inch polarizing lenses. To do the test you turn the flashlight on with the light sitting on the end so that the light is shining up. Put one lense on the light an then hold the other lense above it and rotate it until the light cancels out. (It will go black) Then just stick your test peices or item to be viewed in between the lenses. Stress shows up as flares or halo's. I'm sorry if this isn't clear to all, here is a link with what stress looks like.

http://www.warmglass.com/Compatibili....htm#POLARIZED LENS TEST

And here is the unit I spoke of: http://www.stainedglassstuff.com/ima...ressometer.jpg

A very low cost but useful tool. I hope this helps.
Old 2009-12-02, 9:27am

I have melted chunks of glass into rods and stringers. I only use them with each other. Though I have used a small amount of enamel on one and it is still fine. One I used a small amount of SIS did break after about 4 months. I get mine locally, one of our antique dealers buys it and sells it cheap. It is nice to work with, stiffer than moretti.
I will have to check out that web site. I like to try new stuff.