Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2010-01-17, 9:57pm

Default I have been organizing...

Library rack is stuff full of soft glass, mostly Effetre and Vetro. The bottom is CIM rods and scraps mostly.
Second pic is kiln and my colored boro.
Third picture is mostly Bullseye glass rods, vetro, and 96 coe rods.
All my Double Helix glass is in fence pockets under my torch table not shown. It surprised me how much silvered glass I actually have. I need to use some of it!.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-18, 6:03am
Cancer Sucks!!!

Very nice.

I'm bilingual, I speak Sarcasm as a second language!

New beads in my shoppe!! Finally!
Old 2010-01-18, 2:09pm

Looks great Kay! I'm envious. I'm slowly moving in that direction getting my studio together at last. Too much stuff to get rid of, but I have made my way to the windows now moving towards the bookcases. Glass is still in boxes. I'll get there.
Old 2010-01-19, 8:16am

Hi, Cate... nice to hear from you!! Have you torched at all?

Old 2010-01-19, 12:56pm

Wow Kay, that looks fabulous!!
Old 2010-01-19, 7:55pm

[quote=LAG;2843641]Hi, Cate... nice to hear from you!! Have you torched at all?[/QUOTE

Sure, Kay I did some bead making this fall again after a long hiatus. Now that I have my sight back I've been dabbling in the garage work area. It's just like riding a bicycle, I jumped right back in. The next task is setting up the studio in the new house. We had so much stuff stored in there since it was one of the larger rooms at 11x17. Wish I had more energy to get it done more quickly. I figure I've got some time to at least get organized in the beginning with the retail market down for bead sales. So much old and new glass needs to be stashed. I've been gathering new glass and information over the last five years when all glass work stopped for me. I'm glad I had time to get in a good foundation before I had to give up lampworking. These new peepers are great. I can see much better than I could even as a kid. Hope to have some good stuff to share before too long.
Old 2010-01-19, 8:37pm

looking forward to seeing what you do..

Old 2010-01-20, 6:55am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAG View Post
All my Double Helix glass is in fence pockets under my torch table not shown.

Are the squared tubes your rods are in "Fence Sockets" or some form of PVC?
Old 2010-01-20, 8:30am

it is all fence railing. We got them for .50 a foot but if you find broken ones, you can usually get them free.. I tried the square downspout thing but it is my opinion, it makes for a lot of wasted space.... unless you buy in whole pound quantities...

Old 2010-01-20, 10:38am

Wow you are neat!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-01-20, 8:49pm

My hubby is laughing.. you have no idea.. I am very disorganized basically... trying to change that. He is Mr. Neat Freak!! He never complains, though. Just picks it up. How cool is that?

Old 2010-01-21, 12:05pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Nice to 'hear' from you Kay. We still miss you over here in the wet west. Greetings to the 'Neat Freak'. How's the new chapter going over there?
PJ
Old 2010-01-22, 9:54am

hey, pj. things are good here. this winter has been real good so far.. no below 0 temps, no snow. Mike says hello...

Old 2010-01-22, 10:40am
Never give up

Kay your studio looks great. We are also in the process of moving my torch to a better rooming stop in the garage. YEAH! Got some good idea's from your photo. Hope we get it done soon, everthing is everywhere and it's driving me crazy.
Thanks
Old 2010-01-22, 10:44am
Life is good

Smile wow

Thats a very cool setup. In am just starting to learn beadmaking and working with soft glass. I cant wait to have a setup like that. Take care
Peace
Dave
Old 2010-01-23, 12:35am

I have been doing the same thing. I had my hubby cut me more PVC so I could get everything in order. It makes it easier for me to focus when I can see it all
Old 2010-01-24, 7:03am

I used these 2" x 2" tubes. Cut them in half and you have 12" long 2x2 tubes. They're not that expensive, but the shipping was pretty steep, but not unreasonable. I think the price has come down from when I bought mine.

http://www.jcdanczak.com/our_products/subcat_113.html

Here's a photo of my storage. Boro on the borttom and 104 on the top.

Greg

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2010-01-24, 8:54am

I am liking that... I like the antique dresser, too!!

Old 2010-01-24, 11:56am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
I used these 2" x 2" tubes. Cut them in half and you have 12" long 2x2 tubes. Greg
Wonderful idea - and they are clear so the light can get in the tubes for better rod color selection too. Thanks so much for the pic and info link! I saved it.
Old 2010-01-24, 12:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAG View Post
I am liking that... I like the antique dresser, too!!
That was my grandmothers' and then my moms' and now it's mine. There's a huge oval mirror that goes on it, but it's not attached right now. The drawers have frit,tools and tutorials and stuff like that. It was just sitting down in the basement doing nothing, so I put it to work. The brown box on top is my clear rods and tubes waiting to be melted.

Greg

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2010-01-29, 5:23pm
Favorite color is shiny

I really like the square plastic tubing. Are they thin? sturdy? the sale price doesn't seem too bad. hmmmm, decisions decisions.

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!

---> LE
Old 2010-01-29, 10:34pm

Yes, they are pretty thin, but appear to be very durable. I got the idea from Ross at ABR. He transports his glass in these tubes so I guess they hold up pretty good. He's the one that gave me the name of the place to get them. I bought two boxes of 49 and cut them in half. That gives me 196 tubes to put my glass in. Half for soft glass and half for boro. The tubes come with caps, so when you cut them in half you put the cap on and you have two tubes with an open end and a closed end.

Greg

Old 2010-02-02, 10:35pm
dances with ideas...

Hi Kay, Mike, Cate, PJ! Long time no see! Happy 2010!

I think I've got the same tubes as Greg. One end is sealed and there's a red cap for the other end. The only thing I'm not very keen on is that when I capped the back of half the halves and loaded them into my space, the caps tended to fall off the back (because I compressed them too much or didn't push them back far enough or whatever). So some day if I move I'll pick up all the caps, LOL...

Old 2010-02-03, 6:35am

Roberta,

My tubes are shoved against the back of that white cubical box, and there's a strip of wood across the bottom of each row of 4. That gives the tubes a little elevation in the front so the rods tend to slide into instead of out of the tubes. I also put some wedges in the back of each cube to force the lower tubes out past the ones above it.

Greg

Old 2010-02-04, 7:20pm
dances with ideas...

Great ideas, Greg. Thanks!