LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2010-10-07, 8:32am

Default New Shedio-Outlets, how many and any tips?

Hi All!
Very excited a new 12x16 cape style shed being delivered end of month.
Wondering about how many electrical outlets to install .Obviously will need for kiln, oxycons, heater, a/c, etc. Do you think 5 would suffice? Any ideas, tips, etc. greatly appreciated. Have to wire electric in, insulate,install additional windows, sheetrock, install lighting, tile floor, build a workbench, vent,etc. Would be great to find a "handy-dandy" virtual worksheet, where I can plan everything..otherwise good old graph paper.
Thanks for any all help.
Lisa
Old 2010-10-07, 8:39am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

What amp panel are you putting in?

I would add up how many you think you need and add 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-10-07, 8:39am
Gentleman of Leisure

For receptacles (plugs), probably 4 or 5 for general use, and one dedicated to kiln...

For circuit breakers (for plugs and lights) maybe divide general use receptacles over two breakers another for lights and dedicated one for kiln receptacle...

Lots of time I use MS Excel as work sheet... Any $ change is instantly calculated. I usually use two columns for values, one estimated and one actual cost (after $$ paid out) so I can see what total cost of project is in the end vs what I estimated at beginning...

If you want to to do physical layout of space use a program like "Ms Paint"...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-10-07 at 8:46am.
Old 2010-10-07, 10:19am

I have a 12x16 shed. I put 100 amps in for my shed. I have 9 outlets, two of them are seperate for my kiln(s) Check amps you are using on your electricial tools. Plus some kilns are 20's. Mine are 20 's . You can put a 15 into a 20 but cann't put a 20 into a 15.So check out what you need and anything you might want in the future. Its better to have enough than come back later and rewire. My uncle is electrician and made this suggestion. I also put the outlets at eye level for me. Sure saves on crawling or getting on the floor to plugg things in.
Janet

Last edited by Janetlee; 2010-10-07 at 10:21am. Reason: typo
Old 2010-10-07, 11:18am

Figure out how many outlets you think you need now, then double it and add 25%....if you think you need 5, put in 12.

Seperate circuts for kiln and oxycon, of course.
Current flamethrowers: Redmax, a Mini CC, and a fancy Benelli Cordoba skeet gun.
Old 2010-10-07, 3:36pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Another thing most people do not think about is to use 12 ga. wire even for 15 amp circuits. That way you can change the breaker later and have that extra 5 amps or just go for 20 amp circuits to start. My thinking is that you are setting up an "industrial" area so 15 amps for light circuits is OK... I guess. But 20 amps for outlets is minimum. And as many as you can put in then add 2 or 3 or 4

Also you can put in more breakers than the amp rating of your panel Example; 100 amp panel, 5 x 20 amp circuits for outlets and 3 or 4 15 amp circuits for lights. There's a formula in the building code but I don't recall it at the moment.

PJH

Last edited by cheng076; 2010-10-07 at 3:39pm.
Old 2010-10-07, 4:46pm
Salt Box Beads

I had two 20 amp 4 outlet boxes installed and now I wish I had done at least one more.

They say to use only 15 amps from each 20 amp box...so I guess two 20 amp boxes actually should be scheduled electrically usage wise for 15 amps each.

30 amps total and that was everything I had with no extra outlets.

Kiln
Concentrator
Light
Rod Warmer
Exhaust Fan
Radio
Portable DVD Player for my fav bead photos for inspiration
Leaves one plug for a bead roller or?
Old 2010-10-08, 3:42am

Thanks for all the input!
Old 2010-10-08, 4:26am

Also think about placement. I've found that having some above my counterspace as well as underneath was a huge help: big kilns and oxycons got plugged in below-counter, smaller items like table-top kilns, grinders, hand tools, etc got plugged in above-counter.

Linda
Old 2010-10-09, 12:36pm

Consider a gas heater. My electric heater doesn't put out enough heat unless I'm almost touching it, and I'm kind of freaked out by the E-M radiation. Gas heaters are generally more cost-efficient, too.

I'm looking at propane heaters for this winter.
Old 2010-10-09, 1:49pm
Macaw Mamma

Great ideas from everybody!!

My studio is also 12x16. I have several "dedicated" outlets....one for each kiln, 1 for the A/C unit and one for the heater (I have an oil heater by Delonghi). I have 2 outlets in the ceiling.... I use them way more than I thought I would!

I have 3---(2 sets ea) of outlets on my metal working jewelry making side of the studio

I think if you really look at it and how you will use it that will help, but think about those big electricity draw items, they need to be on their own circut so you don't blow fuses all the time.....

Oh and the more lighting the better.... for mine I have 6 fluorescent lights that hold 4 bulbs 4 feet long each.... only 1 window though.....that is my biggest regret.... would love to have more windows!!!

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken