Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2013-02-15, 2:26pm

Default Glass Reflection - How do I eliminate?

Hi, does anyone have any fool proof tips for helping me with the reflection I get on my beads when I photograph them?

I have a photo box...but I seem to get my reflection on the bead almost every time. Help? I have a lot to learn.

Here is an example:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-02-15, 4:48pm

perhaps try poking your camera lens through a piece of black velvet and use that as a mask to block out all the reflected items?
Old 2013-02-15, 4:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame n fuse View Post
perhaps try poking your camera lens through a piece of black velvet and use that as a mask to block out all the reflected items?
Ah Hah! good idea, I will try that. I was thinking maybe I needed to take the picture from the top kind of peeking in...I will pick up some fabric. Thanks!!

~
~
~
~

Last edited by julieann1674; 2013-02-15 at 5:05pm.
Old 2013-02-16, 7:48am
Gentleman of Leisure

Doesn't even have to be velvet... A piece of cardboard painted flat black with hole just large enough for camera lens....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2013-02-16, 8:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Doesn't even have to be velvet... A piece of cardboard painted flat black with hole just large enough for camera lens....

Dale
Thanks Dale!!!

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-02-16, 7:08pm

A black garage back will also work. I've taken them and cut them along the seam and spread them out. The other way is to get rid of the light box and shoot in a dark room. A snoot on your light would be one way of controlling the light but you can also use rolled up construction paper to make a home made snoot (watch out for heat if you use hot lights) or you can put your light inside a cardboard tube or large (like 3" or more) PVC pipe and put aluminum foil over the end and poking a hole to let out the amount of light you want to fall on your jewelry.

You are underexposed on the bead in your image, which is causing the colors to be dull. If you can, increase your exposure. If your camera will let you hold the shutter open longer and you have a tripod, do it that way so you can use a smaller aperture.

Mike
Old 2013-02-16, 9:53pm
Feminist Killjoy

Even white paper, if you still want the shine, but without your reflection in them. A big white piece of fabric will work, too. Set the timer on the camera and then hold the white fabric up over the back of the camera (without touching it) until the shot is taken. Many table top tents have a front panel that has a hole in it, so you can put the camera through the hole.
Old 2013-02-17, 10:03am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

I use a photo cube and I put a piece of plain white 8.5 x 11 paper on the side of the cube that the reflection is being made from. I still get natural light but it eliminates the reflection.

Tags
close up, photo box, reflection