Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-10-19, 11:36am
Cats & Glass!

Default How to make a Cattwalk or Similar Base

Hi!

Looking for a Cattwalk or similar base. I thought I'd try here first to see if anyone wants to get rid of one - otherwise, I'll buy retail.

Thanks!

Janelle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ebay -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Etsy -
Blog -
Old 2006-10-31, 8:31pm
Melting for Glass!

Hi Janelle,

I made my own base which most of the time I prefer to use over the real base.
I like my base better because it has a 4 way guide.

Hope this helps!

Here are some pictures:
Attached Images

Cecilia

Old 2006-10-31, 8:44pm

Cecilia, you're a genius! Wish I'd seen this a little sooner.
Old 2006-10-31, 9:09pm
Melting for Glass!

Oh sorry - I got a press a long time ago without a base as a gift from a generous fella lampworker. At the time you could only buy a base with the press - no bases where sold by themselves - so I designed my own.
It works great and it is CHEAP!

Cecilia

Last edited by CLabora; 2006-11-01 at 10:03pm.
Old 2006-11-01, 6:30am
Cats & Glass!

Thanks - this *is* a great idea! I'm the same - couple of presses that really should have a base and don't.

Thanks again!

Janelle

Ebay -
Etsy -
Blog -
Old 2006-11-01, 9:48am
Following my Dream

Cecilia
You are a genius. I was looking at this thread to see if there might be an extra base for sale,and there was your awesome tip.Big pat on your back along with a hug from me!
Margie

My name is Margie...and I'm addicted to glass...no...to fire...no...to glass...no...
Old 2006-11-01, 12:16pm
Jan and Quincy

Cecilia,
What a brainiac! I don't need a base (of course, I BOUGHT one) but I love seeing what ideas are born out there. So simple yet so effective! Geesh! I just might go make some just 'cuz I can.
Old 2006-11-01, 7:23pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Cecilia,& Janelle
Hey my sweet friend I miss you! Since threads in the garage tend to get deleted, I would like to move this to the tips and tech area and change the title.
If that is OK with you and Janelle since she started it.

What a wonderful idea you have come up with. I Hate to see it get lost and know so many others could benefit from your wonderful idea.

I know many people can't afford to buy presses and a base especially in the beginning.
I do own a base, and love it! It Did take me a while to be able to afford one, as I kept buying presses instead. This idea of yours sure would have helped me out.

Old 2006-11-01, 8:55pm
Administrator

Some of the presses are longer now so having just three of the sides would then be universal.

Old 2006-11-01, 9:59pm
Melting for Glass!

Thank you all for the ego boost!!! I need all the kudos I can get!

Thank you Margie - hug hug from me to U too.

Ms. Shawn of course on my account you can move the thread wherever it will be of most use provided Ms. Janelle does not object. I miss you too! Fortunatelly we can stay in touch via LE - wohoo for this wonderful forum!

I like the guide on both ends because it helps keep the mandrel straight. If you notice the brackets are not directly across from each other at either long end - they are kind of on oposite corners. And since this is so inexpensive to make you can make several to fit the various lenghts.

Cecilia

Last edited by CLabora; 2006-11-01 at 10:02pm.
Old 2007-01-15, 2:06pm
Ezzy

Cecilia,

You should enter your pictures into the weekly challenge this week, it's about lampworking tools that aren't the ones you buy. This would be a super entry!
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2007-01-15, 2:11pm
one day at a time

Wow!! You are a genius!! That would help line them up for the perfect press! I have the CBS bead squeeze and base and hate it because I "wobble" on the way down and make too many wonkies that way.
Old 2007-01-15, 7:03pm
I'm too sexy for my shirt

Just wanted to say I made a base from your idea and it works like a charm. I did it myself without the use of my DH.

Thanks,
Jerri
Old 2007-01-19, 4:44am
THe quiet one....

Beautiful!

Vikki
Old 2007-01-20, 6:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by isellrejer View Post
Just wanted to say I made a base from your idea and it works like a charm. I did it myself without the use of my DH.

Thanks,
Jerri
@ the "use of DH" part....(reminds me of my sis! my BIL runs when he hears the word "honey....")

back on topic--that press base is COOL! I'm blessed enough to have gotten a base as a gift, but working pt in a hardware store I to see stuff made with misc. parts!!! (hey, it's the best place to find glass tools too...)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-03-14, 2:12pm
Glass my new Obsession

I am gonna make myself one of these this weekend Very cool idea