Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-08-13, 3:32pm

Default New Mandrel Problems

My hubby just made a new set of mandrels for me...
When I attempt to dip them in bead release it runs off the end.

Thinking perhaps I had a bead release problem, I dipped some existing mandrels... all went well.

The new mandrels are 3/16" which is larger than the old, but I don't know why that would make a difference.

Any one have this kind of experience with new stainless mandrels?

Thanks
Old 2009-08-13, 3:41pm
Artistically Absorbed

Default Steel wool or green scrubbie...

There may be some oily residue on the mandrels, some metals are coated to prevent tarnish or rust. Try washing them in dish soap and using a Scotch Brite srubby of Steel wool and rinse well and dry to see if that fixes your problem.
Just a thought, Echo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SRA Artist A64

Old 2009-08-13, 3:42pm

did you scuff them up a little? You can use a scrubby thing, emery cloth, sandpaper, etc. I've also found running them through the kiln during a beading session works.

bead release doesn't stick to smooth perfect steel
Old 2009-08-13, 3:54pm

Thanks, while I was waiting for a few suggestions...I heated the tips of a couple...they seem to work fine now.

It's been quite awhile since I've had new mandrels...didn't remember the oily reside...but now that you mention it...makes sense.
Old 2009-08-13, 5:12pm
Critter Mom

My hubby makes all of my mandrels and before I use them I always run them through the flame till they turn color (learned this at Eugene Glass School). You'll see the metal change color...not red though. Then I dip that end of the mandrel. By the time it goes through the kiln, soaking and then scrubbing I don't need to do it to the other end.

Old 2009-08-13, 5:20pm
TravelLight&Don'tRush

Default Soak'em in the kiln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggi View Post
My hubby just made a new set of mandrels for me...
When I attempt to dip them in bead release it runs off the end. ...Any one have this kind of experience with new stainless mandrels?
Thanks
This has happened to me, so now when I cut a new batch of mandrels (I buy them from the welder's supply store) I pop them in the kiln and soak for a while. Before this, I tried running them through the dishwasher and that worked too, but I was freaked about one of them falling into the spinner and wrecking the machine!
Old 2009-08-13, 5:22pm
da General

Rubbing alcohol on a piece of paper towel to wipe the mandrels before dipping does the trick for me.

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-08-14, 4:29am
Unmedicated since '62

i burn them in too, works like a charm

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-08-14, 12:40pm

Same here, Wash and dry, run thru an annealing cycle and even flash in the
torch flame for good measure. Works on all. Speciality mandrels and general ones.
Jeannie

HOME OF THE MULTI USE MANDRELS
Viking Knit Bead Caps, Pandora, BHB, ???
Check the web site for more information
Old 2009-08-15, 9:41am
I'd rather be torching.

Thanks for the tips guys! I knew about the scuffing, but didn't think about flaming them before dipping for the first time

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.
~Twyla Tharp
I know where I am. I've been lost here before.
Old 2009-08-15, 9:41am

I always run mine through the kiln once before using them. Makes a huge difference.
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2009-08-21, 1:11pm

Default Newbie says thank you

I'm trying the dish soap and steel wool, AND kiln soaking. EVERY bead I tried, broke the bead release. EVERY SINGLE ONE!! Too frustrating for a newbie. Trying to get a new studio up and running, and every day there is some new thing that I don't know anything about. Business partner is into boro, so he doesn't know how to help me. Lord, I wish I could hire someone to come over and help me set it up for soft glass. Anybody gonna be in Tucson this weekend???? LOL
Old 2009-08-21, 1:21pm

breaking bead release is one of two normal newbie problems. The other one (folks usually only have one or the other) is stuck beads.

What bead release are you using, and how are you drying it?
Old 2009-08-21, 1:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by likes to make glass stuff View Post
breaking bead release is one of two normal newbie problems. The other one (folks usually only have one or the other) is stuck beads.
LOL! Seems like you get one AND THEN the other! The beads stick where the release breaks.

There are LOTS of bead makers in the Tucson area, and lots of them are here on LE. There are also great classes at the Sonoran Art (center? school? are they an official school?) I know Margret Zinser teaches there sometimes.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-08-21, 6:16pm

Yes, thank you. Sonoran Glass Art Academy is here in Tucson. They are great. Margaret is on the board there. Karl Taylor is the flame shop manager, he is young and very articulate. I hate to rely on them without paying him for his time.
I think the mandrels need to be cleaned, because they are new. Maybe that will fix the burning issue when adding the first rotation of hot glass. If the BR isnt sticking to the mandrel due to residual oil, then a clean mandrel may do the trick. I have one of the blue sludges for BR. It works fine in my lampworking class. But at home....argggh.