LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-04-11, 7:59am

Default mandrel rack

Zach just opened up his new Glasshive kiln. He hasn't started it yet, but hopes to this afternoon. The studio in Madison has a metal rack that the mandrels are placed on. He is contemplating buying one, but doesn't know if it is really a necessary purchase. I was just hoping to get some feedback from LE users on the usefulness of the mandrel rack.
So my question for all of you experienced kiln users.......Do you use a mandrel rack or do you just place your beads directly on the floor of the kiln? (There is a fiber blanket on the floor of his kiln, so he wouldn't exactly be placing it on the floor itself.)
Thanks for sharing your opinions, we both appreciate it!
Old 2010-04-11, 8:04am
Live and Let Live

I use a rack because if your bead is too hot when you put it in the kiln and you place it on the fiber floor, you'll get marks on the bead and even fibers / residue embedded in the glass. I found I was stabbing the ends of the mandrels into the back wall of the kiln to keep the bead off the floor, which isn't good for the back wall of the kiln. So mandrel racks are a must, IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-04-11, 8:08am

There is a rack in the back of my kiln. I like it and it makes it possible for me to fit more beads in the kiln at a time. You can put in multiple layers in one go, without the beads touching.
I have the British Kilncare and it came with racks (two actually, wich makes it possible to use one half of the kiln with a rack and the other without, if that is your fancy).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R#115
Old 2010-04-11, 8:58am
Life is change. Love it

Yes a mandrel rack is neccesary. I made my own and it's lasted 6 years so far.

Old 2010-04-11, 9:01am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
Yes a mandrel rack is neccesary. I made my own and it's lasted 6 years so far.
Any chance you have a pic of yours?? I'd love to see it.
Old 2010-04-11, 9:22am
Life is change. Love it

My kiln is on right now, so no pic yet. Its is very basic! I used a BBQ vegetable griller, divided in half with the handle cut off. Propped it against a kiln brick and voila! You have a ton of little squares that keep your mandrels rolling together and there is room for many beads without any of them touching. I do stack when they are cooler.

Cost me $2.00 from the dollar store.

Old 2010-04-11, 9:25am

Yes I agree. I use 2 racks as my kiln has 2 doors. I think they are essential in avoiding mishaps
Old 2010-04-11, 11:06am
Semi Retired

I just ordered a 3/4x11" rack from Devardi for my new beehive kiln (regular guy). Here is the link:

http://www.devardiglass.com/supplies.htm

|

|

|

|

Old 2010-04-11, 3:19pm
Dangerous Woman

I have a rack in my kiln but hardly ever use it. I rarely ever have any problems.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-04-11, 4:25pm
FireDancer Glass

I will be buying one....thanks for the link. I have torn up the back of my kiln to keep the beads off of the fiber on the floor of the kiln. Bout time I get one!

Christy
Old 2010-04-12, 6:04am

I made my own rack out of this stuff: http://www.tractorsupply.com/welding...-gauge-3506801 because I had some on hand. I just cut it down to fit the length and height of my kiln. Works like a charm and I can stack tons of beads without touching the floor of the kiln or other beads.
Old 2010-04-12, 6:18am

I bought a few 1 X1 X 8 inch strips of firebrick (sold as 'kiln furniture') at my local ceramics supply place. I sat the across the back of the kiln and sit the mandrel tips on them when I load beads into the kiln. They keep the beads off of the kiln floor and you don't have to fool around trying to get the mandrel tip into a hole in the rack while the heat rushes out at you.

Robert
Old 2010-04-12, 6:48am
Hobby Junkie

Hmmmm.. Nobody ever told me about a mandrel rack! I like Roberts firebrick idea. I'll need to get some of those 1x1x8's! I just throw all of the mandrels in there. I usually don't have issues with beads touching because the longest torch time I usually get is 1.5 hours. (I have a 16 month old and I work full time so Mommy Time is a rarity!). I don't usually get more than 4-5 beads made in that time (unless I'm making spacers, but then I put 5 or 6 on a mandrel).

Old 2010-04-12, 6:57am

I don't use a mandrel rack and I've had one small kiss mark so far. Obviously that bead when in too hot. But then again, I don't use any Lauscha. I think it's Lauscha that needs to go in super hot.
Old 2010-04-12, 7:35am

Sometimes I use my rack, sometimes I don't. I made mine out of a sheet of that grid-like stuff you can get at Lowes or Home Depot. I just cut it and bend it to fit and be the shape I want.
Old 2010-04-13, 8:06am
I speak Murrini!

I agree with earlier posts - a kiln rack is a MUST! If you think you can squeeze one more "Honey Do" outta the hubby, here's a suggestion...

You can purchase perforated stainless steel sheet (absolutely MUST be steel - no zinc or mixed metal of any sort) that looks like this:

Measure the width and depth of your kiln and cut a sheet that, when BENT into a flat-bottomed "U" shape, will for sure fit inside easily without getting near any of the heating elements (I don't know if the Glasshive one's are exposed - my Paragon has them insulated inside the walls; if heating elements come into contact with mandrels or metals, this can shock the user and zap the kiln/controller, so warn Zach, ok?).

Here's a picture of a Kiln Rack I just sold - purchased from Arrow Springs - which was just a touch too wide for my kiln interior. You can see from the shape of it, though, that you can "create" something very similar and equally effective outta the perforated steel sheet. With a "short" side in the front and a "tall" side at the back (and just the perforated steel in the middle for stability where you've bent each end up) this is an inexpensive do-it-yourself possibility.

I recommend making the bends "hard bends"; in other words, make sure they are nice right angles, no bowing - so the bottom lays nice and flat. Also, try to make the bottom so that at least 3" is in between the tall side and the short side which will stabilize it well. If you cut the top rows of the short and long bent sides down the centers of the holes, this will allow mandrels to sit easily into those little divots too without rolling against one another.

WINK!
De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro

Last edited by theglasszone; 2010-04-13 at 8:15am. Reason: Adding info...
Old 2010-04-13, 2:28pm

Love that idea De!
Old 2010-04-13, 7:58pm
The Andrea Half

I have some 1/2" x 1" kiln blocks, and I rested a threaded ss rod on thhose. Voila, instant kiln rack.

Old 2010-04-13, 8:05pm

Thanks for all the great suggestions!
Old 2010-04-13, 11:11pm
Senior Moment

I bought a really cheap pizza stone (~$5)and used a tile saw to cut 1/2 inch strips. You can easily customize the length for your kiln.

Old 2010-04-14, 12:58am

That is what I have been looking for everywhere. I found a piece someplace and I could no way have come close to bending it. Wonder if arrowsprings would custom make me one for my kiln it is a jen kin that is wide. I would love to be able to stack my mandrels in the holes. It would free up alot of space

Old 2010-04-14, 4:22am
offically down under

I buy welding rods for mandrels so I just made a zig zag out of the 3' long piece. The ends are a bit longer and they sit in 1"and 2" kiln furniture so I have two rows.

Old 2010-04-14, 10:05pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I use mine all of the time. Each new bead I make gets placed on the rack. When it fills up, I will move those beads off the rack and over to the side so I can refill the rack as I work. There has been more than one occasion that I didn't use the rack only to find that the bead either picked up some kiln dust or is dented in on one of the sides (I make a lot of chunky bicones).

Ebay:
Old 2011-02-19, 3:15pm
Formerly Sassygirl

I just talked to Mike at Glass hive this morning and he can make kiln racks that will allow the doors to close fully on his kilns and will not hurt the firebrick on the doors or shelf. Best thing is it will custom fit my regular guy kiln yayyyyy. Mike is just the greatest and if you are in need of a kiln rack give him a call.