LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-05-11, 9:58pm

Default OMG! Can This Work For Catwalk Presses??

Just found this on Harbor Freight Tools. Do you think this could work to hold the Catwalk Presses? The price is great if it works. Dolly
http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-...ise-30999.html
Old 2010-05-12, 12:41am

No. The beauty of Cat's design is the registration post which allows precise alignment no matter the size of the press. In order to make that clamp work you would have to mill a piece of metal exactly the width of each press you have as a stop or install a post. Ether way it will end up costing as much or more then cat's base. Unless of coarse you have a friend who is a machinist.

Scott

ESTY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-05-12, 3:09am
one day at a time

Besides, they have a really good deal if you buy a base and press together. You save a chunk of money.
Old 2010-05-13, 11:36am

I could if the press bottom sits low enough down that you have room to bring in the top within the slide-y part (jaws I guess they are called). (I hope that makes sense. lol) If the bottom of the press stays flush or above the jaws then you still don't have any place to line up the top.
Old 2010-05-13, 3:33pm
offically down under

I would think if you glued a stainless steel plate to the front left side it might work. You would have to have a plate that sticks up and out so you have the perfect alignment to accept the top. Also, the glue would have to be able to withstand the heat as things do get warm.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-05-13, 6:38pm
Glass-aholic

honestly I got a catwalk press second hand and took a thick piece of cork and a few 'L' brackets (1-3in) and tacked it down. The metal "L" brackets with the holes already in it. It works perfectly! I did not want to buy a base for just one press (that I do not use often) I did acquire a different press with a different shaped base years later and re-arranged it to work with the other as well. SIMPLE and easy and cheep! I think alltogether it took me about 15min to assemble, and less than 10 bucks to make.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-05-13, 6:44pm
Glass-aholic

Oh and YES that could be easily modified to work with the presses. You would need something like a narrow corner molding piece, maybe 1in worth to be clamped into the vise as the corner of the press. Of course this is easier with a cattwalk that has square edges, but would probably work with the other base shapes as well. If you used a wood molding, you could probably take a notch piece out of the molding to accommodate a kalera shape.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-05-13, 7:53pm
offically down under

If you glue on a plate, it can not get in the way of your mandrel.

Old 2010-05-13, 10:41pm

I am cheap - I only have one cattwalk press and like Jaci didn't want the hassle of a base for just that.

I just duck-taped a couple of metal L brackets to the desk and it works fine.

Emma

Projects, articles, bead galleries

Art beads, clay & supplies