Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-02-03, 2:46pm

Default What am I ventilating?

I use a Hothead torch with Mapp/pro canisters and mostly work with effrete glass (read total noob). What am I ventilating? Is it mostlythe carbon monoxide from the Mapp I need to worry about?
Thanks!!!
Bea
Old 2011-02-03, 3:07pm
honorary bead lady

For the most part yes, unless you are using powders or fuming
Old 2011-02-03, 3:28pm

Thank you! I have a great ventilation setup, but was very curious! Thank u!!!
Old 2011-02-03, 4:47pm

You're also venting things like NOx (as well as CO, as David notes) and trace elements from the glass (eg colorants), both of which can be irritating or harmful with enough exposure. Good question to ask and good that you've ensured that you have ventillation!!

Linda
Old 2011-02-03, 4:53pm

Carbon monoxide is part of your total torch plume but there is much more to be concerned with. Using a HH you have a moderate amount of unburned fuel that leaves a characteristic smell if not removed. Leftover fume from MAPP in particular gives me a headache. You also generate nitric oxides, usually abbreviated as NOx, which are chronic respiratory irritants. A certain amount of metal colorants also evaporate from the surface of the glass as you melt it and end up in your torch plume (see the next issue of Glass Bead). Fuming, powders, enamels, etc. also add to the volume that needs to go out of your work area. There are lots of good reasons to have the best exhaust system you can get - in the end it is just as important as your torch for a safe working setup.

Robert
Old 2011-02-03, 9:24pm

That is really good information! Would you mind if I share it with some of my friends who are way more casual about ventilation than I am? They think being in a big room with high ceilings is good enough.
On another note, Where can I get a copy of Glass Bead Is it a magazine or book?
Thanks Again!
Bea
Old 2011-02-04, 8:36am

Glass Bead is a quarterly publication of the International society of Glass Bead Makers (ISGB). I'm on the Safety Committee for ISGB. Ventilation is not something to be casual about at all and a big room with high ceilings doesn't even approach what is needed.

Here's a more technical article about glass surfaces and some about ventilation. Go to page 28. They may ask for your email address to read it but it's OK, they're reputable people and you won't get spammed.

http://content.yudu.com/A1ot70/MTO18...mon%2Fhome.jsf

Please pass all of the information around and have them check in with us if there are questions, that's why we have a Safety Forum.

Robert
Old 2011-02-04, 12:11pm

That was very informative. I am posting your earlier email as my status on facebook. AND posting a link to your article. I have often wondered about it the colorants in the glass. I am a safety nut anyway.
My dad is a HVAC design/build contractor. He's been in business for 50 years and mainly works in refineries and medical labs. He is designing my new ventilation system for the Shedio I am getting in the Spring.
Thank you so much. Hopefully I can get my knuckle-headed buddies to pay attention to me now. LOL.
This is an AWESOME forum and you guys who share with us Noobs are the reason why.
Thank you again!!
Bea
Old 2011-02-15, 10:11pm
Triumphantly Knit!

What is the suggested ventilation route for someone in a condo who has to deal with the cccrs and board members who are very grouchy and not progressive in the least.
I'm hoping I can build the vent, add the 'hose' and put the fan in the window when I am working and take it out when I am not. I am open to all suggestions. For fresh air I would just have a fan blowing into the room from behind.
I'm on a hothead with 1#mapp. I would like to do as many things as possible so I want great ventilation. Is it possible to run the ventilation line to the dryer vent and out that way (pardon my ignorance) seems like that way it could share what's already going up thru the roof and I wouldn't need the board to know...and then the fresh air could come in via fan from the window.
Namaste
Rowyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-16, 6:46am

You could build a 'blast gate' type of panel to put in the top of your window. I made one out of plywood that fits in the top of a double-hung window and supports a 10" duct. You can build a slider into it that will close the duct opening when you aren't working.

Robert
Old 2011-02-16, 8:59am
Triumphantly Knit!

I can't have anything permanent; what you are suggesting is along the lines of what I'm thinking, just temporary. I'm gonna talk to a friend who's a contractor and consult with my hvac contractor.
Always, thank you Robert.
Be good to you
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible