Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2012-08-03, 4:24pm

Default Light box/photo box-I dont know what they're called

Hi guys! Anyone know where I can find a "light box" I really don't know the proper name for it, sorry. I'm looking for a decent one but not one thats going to cost an arm and leg. Any suggestions for internet sites to check?

Thanks in advance

Duane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-08-03, 4:42pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Duane I found my cheapie photo box on eBay, it's one of the fold up kind (although I never do that). I think I paid $20? - ish for it but I can't find the vendor now. I know there were tuts for building your own too.

Vellum (you can find it in the scrapbooking section in craft stores) will diffuse light so you can make a quickie box by taking a cardboard box, cut big windows into the top and sides and tape the vellum in the space you cut (so the light shines through it) and use computer paper to lay your item on. Just a thought.

Old 2012-08-03, 5:32pm

They are called light tents among other things. You can find them on Amazon as well as ebay. Or you can make your own fairly easy. You can use PVC pipe and 3 way corners to make a frame and use white cotton broadcloth or sports nylon (like rip-stop nylon but without the zig-zag stitching and very close to umbrella nylon and light box nylon) from Jo-Ann's or other larger fabric store.

you can also make them with wooden dowels and wood blocks with holes drilled in them for the corners. I've also made light panels that I like because they can provide more diffusion than a light tent can. I have made them using the window screen kits and put sport nylon and white cotton material in them.

Mike
Old 2012-08-03, 7:09pm

I have something that my husband made for me. I'll send it to you for free if you don't mind paying the postage.
Old 2013-01-11, 12:29pm
New-old member

I'm a bit late to this party, but I am making a light box right now! It's easy, all you need is a cardboard box, tissue paper, glue/tape and whatever background colored paper/fabric you want.

Coffee cup included for size, I have a small light box for beads too.

All you have to do is cut three 'windows' in the box, cover with tissue paper (mine has 2 layers) and tape/glue/otherwise attach your background, aim lights at one or more of the windows and snap away.

We all hoard boxes and tissue, right?

Furnace worker melting boro on a Redmax with tanked oxy.
Old 2013-01-11, 2:11pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by demcc2 View Post
Hi guys! Anyone know where I can find a "light box" I really don't know the proper name for it, sorry. I'm looking for a decent one but not one thats going to cost an arm and leg. Any suggestions for internet sites to check?

Thanks in advance

Duane
Hi Duane!

I did some research on them a few months back and decided to go the route on making my own for now...my budget thanked me.

I used a nice sturdy box, cut holes in three sides and then purchased different shades of paper at Michaels for backgrounds. I also printed out a few gradient backgrounds from my computer. I have so much to learn about photographing, and I used the easiest method of posting the following photos from my iphone. lol

I am using a vellum paper to cover the three sides....

And here are a few links that I found helpful...

http://www.laurabrackenblog.blogspot...tructions.html

http://beadabundant.blogspot.com/200...-for-bead.html

Good luck!

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-01-12, 8:44am

Duane whatever light box you decide to go with you'll be using some sort of background. Here is a wonderful link with end results posted for comparison.
http://beadfx.blogspot.com/2013/01/p...ckgrounds.html

-> I'm Chuck, I like Glass Dots
mini cc - natural gas - oxycon - 104 coe