Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2017-01-31, 4:47pm

Default bubbles in bead release

Hi. I'm using "Dip-N-Go Sludge Ultra" bead release and having a problem with getting a bunch of bubbles on the surface. I've tried dipping them slowly and fast, and keep getting these darn bubbles on the surface. I'm doing multi layers
to make some knobs and air drying in between layers. But the bubbles happen on every layer.
Anyone with info on how to avoid this, or if it doesn't make any difference would help.
Thanks.
Old 2017-01-31, 5:07pm

If you're double (or triple) dipping, you will continue to get the air bubbles if you let the first dip get completely dry. Try letting the first dip get just 'leather hard'. Not dry, but not so that you would get your finger wet if you touched it. Then dip again. Of course, it would be much easier if you got a mandrel that was about the same size as your bolt for the knob. Or even easier, get some all-thread and make your knob on the thread, then cut it to size after it's been annealed.
Old 2017-01-31, 9:34pm
Phill

Oh and put a nut on the all-thread before cutting it.
Then when you take the nut off it will help shape the threads back into usable form without so much time cleaning up the cut end with a 3 corner file.

If you are cementing the knobs to bolts after you have annealed them just use some all-thread as a mandrel and dip it once in the bead release.

Remember to get stainless steel if you can because it doesn't conduct heat as much.

ETA: Something else I do with wonky bead release surfaces is to use a wet finger to smooth the surface once the core has dried. Heck, I even used some old used sand paper to reshape the surface on occasion.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2017-01-31 at 9:49pm.
Old 2017-02-01, 9:37am

Thanks for the replies. I'm getting bubbles on the first dip sometimes as well as consecutive dips. I'll try dipping before completely dry and see if that helps. Will also try the wet finger out to try smoothing after they dry.
The knobs are going to be glued onto a 10/32 allen head screw so I'll try to find a larger mandrel as that sounds like the best idea.
Thanks again.
Old 2017-02-01, 11:03am
Slogan Challenged...

if your release is smooth, try tapping out the bubbles by tapping the bottle on the work surface gently. They are hard to catch otherwise.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2017-02-01, 10:39pm
Phill

I used an electric sander and a stick to get the air bubbles out of my cement pours when I put in a fence.

Maybe something like that or a kitchen mixer could be held against the jar of bead release to vibrate the air bubbles to the surface.

One of my friends does metal etching with an acid and she places her acid bucket on the top of her clothes dryer and that vibrates it slowly for a long period of time to stir the solution.

Perhaps setting your bead release on your washer or dryer would make the bubbles come to the surface after you have stirred it or shaken it to remix it.

The release is a solution and it can separate over time so it will need remixing sometimes.

Use just a little distilled water if you can get it if it dries out.

Just be sure to not use "softened" water. The salt in it will ruin your bead release and it will never get better after that and will need to be tossed out.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2017-02-01 at 10:41pm.
Old 2017-02-14, 8:02am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedslug View Post

The release is a solution and it can separate over time so it will need remixing sometimes.
It's a suspension, not a solution.
Old 2017-02-14, 2:25pm

warning...................alternative facts
Old 2017-02-15, 5:29am
Phill

Thanks Robin.

I get dyes and stains mixed up my addled brain too.
Old 2017-02-15, 2:15pm
Queen of the milo field

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbird View Post
warning...................alternative facts
It would be much more helpful to OP if you stated the 'alternative facts' you are referring to w/this. Since you give no indication of what you are disputing.