Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-04-07, 10:12am
one day at a time

Default I'll admit I did something a little dumb...

I got my shipment from ABR the other day and couldn't wait to make just one boro bead, of course! I had asked my brother-in-law to get a pair of shade 5 welder's fit-over glasses I had in my old studio and bring them to me the other day since he was headed into town in my direction. He said he couldn't find them, so I'm think where the heck are they now?? I have two studios, one at my mother's and one at my house. Will set up the one at my mom's fully when I get another kiln over there. Right now it's just for storage, and it's a mess!

So...I decided to make a couple of beads wearing my AUR-92's, and I will NOT do that again! I feel like an idiot saying this, but I knew better. I just couldn't resist, you know what I mean?? It was just going to be a couple of beads....

This flame I was using was really hot and bright of course, but I wasn't uncomfortable at that point. When I was done, I took off my glasses, and I swear, it seems like it was dark in the room....you know like how your vison is when you come inside the house after being outside in the bright sun? Like that.

I will not touch the boro again until I get another pair of those fit-overs from the welding shop if I can't find mine myself. They are about $7. To use those over the AUR-92 is just temporary until I get the right glasses.
Old 2010-04-07, 8:04pm
Covered in glitter

I have to admit I don't always use my #3s over my didys. I was better today about it but just can't see things with them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2010-04-08, 5:55am

Lisi,
I think you should go and try on the shade #5's before you buy them. They are very dark! Too dark for beads. You might want to check into Shade #3 instead. I have 3 and 5 and I can not work in the #5's. They are so dark that I get a head ache within 15 minutes from the stress of not seeing anything. To make small beads, #5's will be a nightmare. I think if you are making 3" marbles then I think it is necessary.

If there is any way you can go along when they are purchased I think it will save you.

Anyone else make small beads with shade 5?

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2010-04-08, 7:23am

I used the shade 3 over my 92's for a long time. Wearing 2 pairs of glasses at the same time I looked incredibly dorky. I did try the 5's but they were waaaaaaay too dark. I agree with Heather.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-04-08, 8:10am
Pyromaniac

5's are only needed if you're heating color bright white hot, and even then 3's are probably enough unless you're doing that all day long... If you have sensitive eyes, your mileage may vary, but I'd say that you don't have to fear using didy's in the short term. Just don't stare at white-hot glass. If you can't afford a pair of glasses, I'd suggest getting a pair of clip on shades from one of the supply houses, perhaps Generations Glass (which is where I got mine) can help. I know they have both 3 & 5 and they're relatively inexpensive compared to full on glasses.

(PS, I am now using split lens with shade 3 on the bottom and regular filter glass on the top, and most of the time I don't really need the shade 3)

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-04-08, 10:05am

Having just upsized to a Minor from a HH, I'm still learning about some things. I bought some boro rods from ABR (they have arrived yet) and want to be sure I wear the correct lenses. I have prescription glass and a pair of clip-on Phillips for soft glass work and am looking to buy the Phillips Glassworking Visor, comes in either 3 or 5. That way if I decide to change my frames in the next year or so, I won't have to buy a new one.

So, I'm hearing that #3 is better. My question is, with the boroscope visor, so I still need to wear my clip-on diddys, too?

Old 2010-04-08, 10:36am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by blr2449 View Post
Having just upsized to a Minor from a HH, I'm still learning about some things. I bought some boro rods from ABR (they have arrived yet) and want to be sure I wear the correct lenses. I have prescription glass and a pair of clip-on Phillips for soft glass work and am looking to buy the Phillips Glassworking Visor, comes in either 3 or 5. That way if I decide to change my frames in the next year or so, I won't have to buy a new one.

So, I'm hearing that #3 is better. My question is, with the boroscope visor, so I still need to wear my clip-on diddys, too?
The Phillips boroscopes are ACE and whatever shade they are, right? Doesn't that mean you have both soda flare and IR protection in the same lenses? If that is so, then the visor you want is the complete protection.

I have to wear the shade #3 or #5 welder's glasses over my AUR-92's (ACE) until I get the Phillips boro eyewear that has both in one.
Old 2010-04-08, 11:06am
<--- Time traveler

I agree about the 5s. I have the 3s and I can't even use them until I get more light in my lampworking area. So, no boro until then!
Old 2010-04-09, 6:56am

Thanks, Lisi. That's what I thought and wanted to affirm. I read up on the different glass over on the Phillips eyewear site. It may be a while until I get the money to purchase, though.

Old 2010-04-09, 11:44am
one day at a time

Yeah, they're high dollar, so I'm going to have to wait a while too. I like these here. The fitovers so I can put them right over a pair of glasses I have that are comfortable. They are supposed to be light in weight.

http://www.phillips-safety.com/store...hp?cPath=40_58
Old 2010-04-10, 9:05pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

I tried using the #5 welding glasses for boro and yes, they are too dark to see what you are doing. I didn't want to have to shell out more $$"s for a pair of boro glasses since I already had the didy's but I decided my eyesight was worth the expense! Now I use my boro pair almost exclusively, even when working soft glass. My poor little didy's just sit there waiting for some attention!

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2010-04-10, 11:34pm

Lisi.. you are gonna be just fine and yes, 3's are okay unless you work with high cadmium colors or do a lot of fuming from a quartz rod.

Unless I am torching on a daily basis or for over 2-3 hours, or using high cadmium colors or fuming I may wear my Rx didiums for making boro beads. (Don't EVEN start on me safety police. This is my personal choice.)

Normally, I wear 3's that slide over my regular Rx glasses. However, between working with my own Rx lenses w/bifocals, clip on magnifiers or stickers, then darker glasses I can barely see what I'm doing, and I have a very bright overhead light.

Old 2010-04-11, 2:45pm
one day at a time

Thanks, Lori!

That's good to know about the #3 shades. I will be making small beads like 12-14mm or so anyway, so not a lot of time spent burning a really hot and bright flame.
Old 2010-04-13, 8:22pm
Somebody's watching me!

I did something stupid too...notice the shades. this was me earlier....my head is killing me...have...to...sleeeeep...this...head...ache.... away.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

those are shade 3 green ace on econo didy's
Attached Images

Old 2010-04-13, 9:33pm
She's Back & Burnin'

I bought a pair of the boro shades with 2+ reader lenses from ARTCO. They were more than I really wanted to spend but... Well, I am in heaven! These glasses are wonderful!

There are some things I will skimp on but not the glasses.

Sara

Old 2010-04-14, 6:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
Yeah, they're high dollar, so I'm going to have to wait a while too. I like these here. The fitovers so I can put them right over a pair of glasses I have that are comfortable. They are supposed to be light in weight.

http://www.phillips-safety.com/store...hp?cPath=40_58
Well, I got an unexpected (goodly-sized) bonus two week ago and a raise this week (been 2 yrs without either) so my boroscope visor arrives today. I'm very please I was able to get these AND pay off some bills.

Next on my list is to learn how to use the pre-programmed BORO kiln schedule on my Chili Pepper. LOL